Firing Steel Cased Winchester ammo through PPX? - Page 3 - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPX

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2017, 02:15 AM   #21

CBerger02 .22
Usually it comes down to repeatability. My PPX generally runs any reputable branded brass cased ammo all day. Every type of steel ammo I have run through it causes all sorts of malfunctions constantly.
CBerger02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 01-09-2017, 04:20 AM   #22

DoItRite .22
steel has been one of the primary loads I have used in my PPX. It is just fine. Don't be intimidated by it. If steel was so bad, there would be alot of destroyed and damaged guns and steel cased ammo would have gone extinct.
DoItRite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 07:35 PM   #23
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoItRite View Post
... If steel was so bad ...steel cased ammo would have gone extinct.
Which it clearly has not.

In fact it has become commercially more prevalent as manufacturers try to keep costs down.

The main disadvantages of the steel cartridge case are two: (1) it does not carry off the heat of firing as efficiently as brass, though this is of more importance in automatic weapons, and (2) it is not as elastic as brass, so a fired case does not "shrink" as rapidly when the cartridge is fired and retains more resistance to extraction. The latter disadvantage was overcome by the Germans near the end of WWII by waxing the cases. I can't tell if Russian ammunition currently offered commercially in the USA is similarly treated, but I doubt it. Wax probably was not included in the last 5-Year Plan, and things move slowly in the former USSR.

There are some secondary disadvantages to steel cases: they cannot conveniently be reloaded, and they are vulnerable to rust if improperly made or roughly handled. On the other hand, they are stronger than brass and better resist denting (especially when feeding) or having rims torn through in extraction.

...Before anybody goes off on a OT tangent: the above has nothing to do with steel-jacketed bullets.

M
MGMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 08:37 PM   #24

Thunderbirdsport302 .22
I can't believe that Mike AND a mod would suggest using steel cased ammo in a Walther.

That is un-effing-believable.

I ran 50 rounds of steel cased ammo through my then new AR15 in 2013....ever other round misfired, misfed, or wouldn't eject.

Loaded in a mag of brass Remington ammo....perfect. Went back to the steel cased JUNK and the same problems.

Yeah yeah....a Bushmaster M4 style carbine ain't a Walther, and steel case ammo ain't brass.

pick two..
Thunderbirdsport302 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 09:04 PM   #25
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbirdsport302 View Post

That is un-effing-believable.

I ran 50 rounds of steel cased ammo through my then new AR15 in 2013....ever other round misfired, misfed, or wouldn't eject.
What does a misfire or failure to feed have to do with what the case is made of?

M
Old 01-10-2017, 01:34 AM   #26

CBerger02 .22
I've seen steel cased ammo cause feeding failures and they aren't uncommon, especially in a double stack magazine. Misfires might be more uncommon, but I've seen plenty of those happen too.

There is a 9mm steel ammo called MaxxTech that performs terribly in almost every handgun I've seen it go in. I tried shooting it out of my M&P CORE and I had to use a rod to knock out the casing from the chamber almost every other round.

If the steel stuff works for you, great! Save your money and buy the cheap stuff.
CBerger02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 02:18 AM   #27

Mudbone .22
I'm surprised to see so many claims of cycling issues due to steel casings.
Along with brass and aluminum-cased ammo, I've been using the stuff for years, not only in AK's and SKS's, but in numerous other rifles, including multiple AR's, a mini 14, an IMI UZI, CZ 527, (I forget what else), and I don't recall ever having a single issue.(there may have been a dented primer or two in all that time, but that'd be it).
I've also run a good bit of steel-cased ammo through numerous pistols,including numerous Glocks, 1911's, CZ75's, S&W's, Walthers, ( I forget what else), and other than the single out-of-spec round of Brown Bear that got stuck hard in a G26 chamber that i referenced in my earlier (year old) post in this thread, I don't think I've had ANY issues with the pistol ammo,either.
Given the volume of steel-cased ammo I've used, over the years I've used it, and through the wide range of weapons I've used it in, and witnessed it being used in, with virtually ZERO problems, I can't help but suspect there's another cause to all these supposed issues with it.
I'm sure we've all heard and read, more times than we can recall, "I ain't running no steel-cased ammo through my guns, that's just the way i feel".
I ran across it on a 1911 forum just today.
The stuff admittedly lookks grubby and cheap, and largely comes from dreary, repressive countries, so there seems to be some sort of emotional/psychological angle at play here, that results in an irrational dislike of the stuff, regardless of how economical or functional it may be.

edit: by the way, I did pick up one of those 150-rd boxes of the Winchester steel-cased stuff a little while back, because i was looking for something inexpensive to do some break-in/test fires through a new (used) toy I traded into via Armslist, and Walmart was out of Perfecta and Federal aluminum. The stuff all ran 100% perfectly through two polymer-framed S&W's.
MGMike likes this.

Last edited by Mudbone; 01-10-2017 at 02:24 AM.
Mudbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 04:23 AM   #28

Thunderbirdsport302 .22
You guys that are Walther experts.....

Ask Walther why steel case ammo causes more hangups than brass.

I personally have encountered this on several firearms, two of which were Walthers. PPQ, PPS.

pick two..
Thunderbirdsport302 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 03:32 PM   #29
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbirdsport302 View Post

Ask Walther why steel case ammo causes more hangups than brass.

You don't suppose it has anything to do with quality control, do you? Until quite recently, 90% of new, commercially-produced ammunition with steel cases came from just one country: Russia.

By what reasoning do you eliminate the factors of dimensional or ballistic irregularity?

M
Old 01-10-2017, 03:38 PM   #30
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBerger02 View Post
I've seen steel cased ammo cause feeding failures and they aren't uncommon, especially in a double stack magazine. Misfires might be more uncommon, but I've seen plenty of those happen too.

There is a 9mm steel ammo called MaxxTech that performs terribly in almost every handgun I've seen it go in. ...
Maybe it's just lousy ammo...

M

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPX

Tags
9mm, ppx, steel case

Search tags for this page

ppx .40 ammo

winchester usa forged
Click on a term to search for related topics.