Walther Forums banner

Shooting steel-cased rounds in PPX

1K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  jackdeth 
#1 ·
I was shooting my 9 mm PPX at the range the other day with Tul Ammo steel-cased rounds. A guy next to me said they would "tear my gun up," but he couldn't elaborate why he thought that would happen. The gun cycled 150 rounds or so just fine with no issue. I am cleaning it up right now and see no evidence of wear, scratches, etc.

Do you guys have any opinions and/or know of any solid evidence to indicate a problem with shooting steel-cased ammo?

Thanks!

#2 ·
The thought is that steel is harder than brass and will cause more wear on the chamber than brass. Luckygunner did a big test on ARs with some rifles being fed bras, the other steel. If memory serves. I don't remember if there was anything too conclusive.

I've tried a box or two of steel cased .223 Tula in my AR. It was dirty and a bit underpowered.

The price difference isn't worth it to me. Even if it causes no more wear, I see no real benefit. Plus I reload and want the brass.

#3 ·
I'm not seeing any specific warnings on using steel case ammo in the PPX manual. If you fire steel case be aware that residue from case coatings and primer sealant plus potential hard carbon deposits in the chamber require cleaning more often than firing brass case ammo.

#5 ·
My friends PPX jammed hard on a cheap steeled cased Wolf round. The casing expanded and didn't retract quite quick enough to be ejected. Now I had just used almost 1000 rounds of this crap ammo in my Glock 17 but the PPX is not a Glock 17. I had to hammer that damn casing out, took like 20 minutes. But good steel casing ammo, I think shouldn't be a problem. This was dirty Wold stuff....I think it was Wolf, maybe it was other Russian crap. Anyway, just my opinion.

#6 ·
Has anyone tried shooting frangibles with their PPX? I have about a 100 rounds from DRT and wanted to get some input as to issues (if any) before use. IF not....

"Heigh-Ho, Heigh-Ho it's off to Gun Broker I go!"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.