WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPX

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2013, 10:35 AM   #1

BlitzPig .22
I almost hate to say it, but...

Sponsored Links
The more I see of the PPX, the more interested in it I am becoming.

Under $500 list for a brand new Walther, made in Ulm, no zinc components, a 5 ish pound smooth DA trigger.

What's not to like?
Old 01-17-2013, 12:16 PM   #2

balance .22
The thing that will likely stop me from buying one, is that I'm planning on picking up a 5" PPQ M2 when it is released. The M2 will take different mags than my P99 and PPQ. If I wanted to add the PPX to the line-up, I would have to buy one more proprietary mag design for it.

Other than that, I don't see much to dislike about the PPX at the moment. At first I didn't know why it was being made, but now that I know why they made it, and that it is coming from Ulm, I'm interested in at least handling it, and I'm curious how the good the trigger is.

The only complaints I'm hearing at the moment is that the pistol has a strange looking grip, which doesn't seem to be true to me, being that from the pictures I've seen of it, the grip looks similar to the grip on the P99 and PPQ pistols. Some people are also complaining about the looks of the PPX, and this wouldn't bother me either, being that I care more about function, and when I bought the PPQ, I thought it was an ugly pistol at the time.

Given that the pistol functions well, has a good trigger, and is as reliable, durable, and accurate as the other polymer pistols coming from the Walther plant in Ulm, I see it selling as well, or possibly better than the PPQ....M2.
balance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:17 PM   #3

Milio .22
If it were being built to be a premium gun, I would be interested. I've been shooting hammer guns lately and really liking the trigger (even better than my P99AS). But as something designed to be low-cost, I'll pass.
Milio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:22 PM   #4

Firemanjones .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by balance View Post
The thing that will likely stop me from buying one, is that I'm planning on picking up a 5" PPQ M2 when it is released. The M2 will take different mags than my P99 and PPQ. If I wanted to add the PPX to the line-up, I would have to buy one more proprietary mag design for it.
Wait, the two PPQ's don't even share the same mags? What were they thinking!
marcus58 likes this.
Firemanjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:50 PM   #5
Super Moderator

searcher451 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firemanjones View Post
Wait, the two PPQ's don't even share the same mags? What were they thinking!
They clearly weren't.
Adrenolin and olsoul like this.

Μολὼν λαβέ
searcher451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:32 PM   #6

Boogs .22
Blitz... I was beginning to feel that way as well.

Then...

I thought, "if this didn't say Walther on it, I wouldn't even consider"

It does concern me it is being touted as '"Walther's entry level pistol". I don't care for the aesthetics, nor the magazine difference (PPX and M2), but, why take a step down just to have another Walther pistol? I'm not a collector, it's all about function, and I have no reason for a PPX.

I am actually leaning towards a .40 PPQ instead of succumbing to Walther's (imo) lack of foresight, by buying an M2 supporting the decisions that led to it..
Old 01-22-2013, 05:38 AM   #7

BPman .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milio View Post
If it were being built to be a premium gun, I would be interested. I've been shooting hammer guns lately and really liking the trigger (even better than my P99AS). But as something designed to be low-cost, I'll pass.

Same polymer & same steel as their other 9mm/.40 S&W guns. They have merely cut prices to be more competetive and probably more due to streamlining the manufacturing process.

It's a combat handgun, not a safe queen.
imaoldfart likes this.
BPman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:58 AM   #8

Boogs .22
BP, just hoping to clarify-- are you saying they're taking a "bigger hit" by dropping the price of the PPX, when it would otherwise be appropriately priced higher?

If that is the case, I just don't see it, they had to cut something.. they're not a 501c
Old 01-22-2013, 09:37 AM   #9

BlitzPig .22
Boogs,

Let's look at the Glock marketing model for a moment.

Glock gained their seemingly impenetrable foothold on the US LE market by pricing their pistols at near give away levels, and in some cases, literally giving them away. Has that hurt them at all? No. It has made Glock the preeminent manufacturer of polymer framed handguns on the planet. The British military have just dumped their aging High Powers for Glocks too.

There is no reason why this won't work for Walther as well. Currently there is only one major Police Force in North America using Walther pistols. One.

If Walther can get several metro police organizations to adopt the PPX, then this will create "buzz" that will be reflected in sales on the civilian side.

I think it's all a rather brilliant marketing plan.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:53 AM   #10

Boogs .22
What types of pistols was Glock competing with when they made their splash? Revolvers?

What is Walther competing with?

I'm not saying it is impossible, I'm just saying.. If Walther is trying to oust Glock, with a pistol that is essentially the same, only significant differences being "better" ergonomics and a striker that is 100% pre-cocked, it isn't going to happen.

Turning your back on a following that has helped make the PPQ a success, by not offering that model, isn't wise either

If they are truly trying to emulate Glock's approach into the US market, I can assure you they are a few decades too late. Which is why I think it is not a good idea to take such an approach

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPX

Search tags for this page
does the walther ppx have a safety
p99 vs ppx
ppx vs p99

walther p99 vs ppx

walther ppq vs ppx
walther ppx

walther ppx review

walther ppx reviews

walther ppx safety

walther ppx safety features

walther ppx vs p99

walther ppx vs ppq
Click on a term to search for related topics.