PPS M1 frame trimming - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPS

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2017, 07:36 PM   #1

Wunderbra .22
PPS M1 frame trimming

After a couple years carrying a Shield .40 I shot a PPS and bought one.
The shield was a delight to carry in appendix cross draw manner, but the grip just was too narrow at the rear for me. The PPS grip is better, and I shoot better during defense drills.

Only thing is that dang front accessory rail. The edges are digging into my side. Walther got wise and realized a CC pistol really doesn't need a place to add bulky accessories, and trimmed that off on the M2.

Unfortunately, no 40 in the M2 after a year of waiting. My wife has the M2 and it is niiice, both grip and carry.

Oh well.

So, thinking about getting someone with a steady and and dreamed or even small mill to trim that area.

Anyone know if that polymer has some extra finish or will it be the same after cutting and polishing?

Pretty disappointed that Walter dropped the 40, and please no lectures on the virtues of the 9.
Wunderbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 02-17-2017, 10:24 AM   #2

Eric357 .22
I'm a little confused. How does the rail dig into your sides if the gun is in a holster? I'm not trying to be sarcastic, I'm just not following.
Eric357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 10:41 AM   #3

1917-1911M .38
New M2s are on sale at Ky Gun co or one of the on-line places.... $ 359 1917
1917-1911M is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2017, 11:01 AM   #4
Supporting Member

imaoldfart .22
I'm with Eric. Are you using a holster or just shoving this thing down your pants?
Eric357 likes this.
Old 02-18-2017, 09:50 AM   #5

Wunderbra .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric357 View Post
I'm a little confused. How does the rail dig into your sides if the gun is in a holster? I'm not trying to be sarcastic, I'm just not following.
I use one of those thin nylon holsters that conform to body. Carried it for years with the Shield with no issues. For several years before that with an E. German Makarov, same result. In fact with the Shield I would often not even feel it and have to "tap" myself to make sure it was still there.

The corner of the rail at the front is actually wearing through the holster where it presses against my hip/thigh.

Not going to carry in leather or kydex inside the pants.

Like I said, Walther wised up and ditched the rail on the M2. Too bad they didn't follow through with the .40...... hence the question about customizing/ trimming.
Old 02-18-2017, 10:48 AM   #6

Wunderbra .22
I didn't mark it up well, but you can see the corner I am referring to. Thinking about trimming it there on the one side.

If you compare with the M2, they have removed that rail and feathered it down so there is no corner.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0030.JPG (555.3 KB, 13 views)
Old 02-18-2017, 01:03 PM   #7

Jacksinthe .22
I am unsure what it will look like if you dremel/buff the edges. Parts of my frame are shiny from holster wear.

If it's a showpiece then I wouldn't do it.

If it's a carry gun then modify it as needed for comfort. My philosophy for small carry is that those rails are useless. If you wind up grinding and buffing and it looks uneven, you can simply add some design with the polish and continue to run the buffing along the rail to the trigger guard for an even look instead of only front corners buffed. This way you can hide a bit of the custom work by design.

Excellent gun, though. I have the M2 and find it's a delight to wear and suuuuper easy to pew pew. For such a small/thin gun - both the M1 and M2 are very surprising to play with.
Jacksinthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 01:51 PM   #8

Herr Walther Unproven
If you go slowly so you don't start melting plastic it will likely be fine. I don't think rounding those corners will have any effect on frame integrity.
Eric357 likes this.

Made in the U.S. of parts from Emmingen, Baden-Württemberg.

Die Familie Rentz seit 1535 http://www.waltherforums.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2091&dateline=1394562  861
Herr Walther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 02:30 PM   #9
Supporting Member

imaoldfart .22
For something that small, I'd recommend using a sanding block....make one using a popsicle stick or a paint stick....maybe start with some 180 and finish up with some 600 then maybe a sctochbrite pad.
Eric357 likes this.
Old 02-18-2017, 04:44 PM   #10

Wunderbra .22
Took it to a friend who is a jeweler today He has lots of tools and experience with this kind of thing, but oh never mind....

When I got home, I found in my mailbox a Hogue Handall beaver tail grip sleeve that I had ordered for the Shield. Wow! What a difference that has made.

I really liked the Shield but the grip was so narrow it was almost punishing to shoot in .40 That Hogue makes it feel much like the M2.

Looks like for now I will be going back to the Shield for now and see how this works out. Will leave the Walther unmodified in the safe.

I, like the trigger on the Shield better anyway.

For anyone that has a Shield, it is worth a look.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPS