• 1 Post By Fuego
  • 1 Post By bigfatdave
  • 1 Post By Dmars

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2013, 08:45 AM   #1

SolidSnake .22
Polishing PPS feed ramp

Sponsored Links
Has anyone polished their PPS feed ramp? If so how did you go about doing it exactly? I have seen a couple Youtube videos about polishing feed ramps in general, I am more or less curious if there are any specific recommedations for the PPS.
SolidSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:14 AM   #2

WilmingtonNC .22
I use a Harbor Freight "Dremel", it is much less powerful than a real Dremel, that way it takes longer, but that way I do not have to worry about going too far.
I use a polishing attachment, with some compound.
I also hear you can use a cotton bore mop and put it in a drill.
I would try out whatever you are going to use on one of your hand tools first. Polish part of a wrench or pliers first to see what your working with.
WilmingtonNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:49 AM   #3

Fuego .22
I have NEVER seen a post-wartime Walther commercial product that needed to have the feed ramp polished.

I have seen P.38s all but destroyed because a new Dremel owner could not get his P.38 to fire 9mm wadcutters or gape-mouth hollowpoint bullets.

Hint: Military pistols are designed for military ammunition.

Polishing a feed ramp should be done by hand, wrapping 600 grit wet-or-dry around a dowel if it is done at all. Just a gentle smoothing, no change in the contour.

If it needs more than that, take it to a professional gunsmith... hopefully, before you destroy the pistol. Polished feed ramps are frequently seen at gun shows where someone is passing his problems to the next person.
searcher451 likes this.
Fuego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:59 PM   #4

ac38hp .22
Simichrome Polish and a Q-tip. Just slick it up. If its rough or bumpy sent it back to the factory.
ac38hp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:26 PM   #5

bigfatdave .38
Are you trying to fix a problem, or just polishing to polish because everyone is doing it?

My feed ramp is nicely polished, I run little copper-clad lead ingots over it in groups of 6-8.
PearlPools likes this.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:43 PM   #6

Dmars .22
Any factory feed ramp can be improved by a little extra attention to detail.....that is the world of modern machining..........improve on it or live with it...!!!!!!!!
WilmingtonNC likes this.

Life NRA member

Concealed Carry: Out of sight, but not out of mind
Dmars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:55 PM   #7

Nocturnx .22
I took a little Mothers aluminum & mag polish and a rag and just hand polished mine while watching tv. Took some elbow grease but reflects like a mirror
Nocturnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:00 AM   #8

SolidSnake .22
I thought about polishing it because I jave read on some other gun sites that It can keep a gun reliable after it has been fired alot, I have over 3,000 rounds through my PPS. It looks like there are little markings from the bullets jackets in the feed ramp which I haven't had any luck getting off with just cleaning the gun like I normally do. I think I'll avoid using any power tools and maybe do it by hand. The last thing I would want to do is accidently mess up the feeding ramp.
SolidSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:30 AM   #9

CPshooter .22
Why bother? You think Walther would put out a gun that didn't feed reliably? Honestly, you'd just be wasting your time and de-valuing the gun (not that it really matters, but still). I say leave it be and shoot the thing!
CPshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:35 AM   #10

lubbsdll .22
I had trouble with feeding before I polished mine right out of the box. After reading through the forum, you will find this is common issue for several new PPS owners. I used 1500 grit paper used for fiberglass and auto detail work and wet sanded it with a dowel. Only took about 15 minutes of light work and I was careful not to change the shape or contour. Then I finished with cotton tipped dremel to give it a high gloss shine. No issues since that from any ammo I've fed through it.
lubbsdll is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPS

Search tags for this page
does the walther pps come with a polished feed ramp
how to polish a pps-43 feed ramp
how to polish the feed ramp on a remington 700
how to polish walther ppk feed ramp

opolishig feedramp on walther pps

ppk feed ramp polish
remington 700feed problems
should i polish lower feed deck on walther pps

walther p22 feed ramp

walther p22 polish feed
walther pps lower feed ramp

walther pps polish feed ramp

Click on a term to search for related topics.