WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2012, 05:14 PM   #1

NucPhysics .22
PPS Shooting "Weaker" vs "Hotter" Ammo

Sponsored Links
I am still evaluating between a PPS and a Nano.

Has your PPS extracted/ejected reliably shooting the "weak" stuff such as Federal Champion as well as your carry ammo? There are many complaints on the Beretta Forum that the Nano doesn't eat the 115g weaker ammo as well as the hotter stuff. Also, apparently, Beretta is now recommending the 124g or heavier. Although I realize this is the internet, I still like to believe most people's comments, especially when there is a trend.

Seems to me that the PPS has been more reliable, but to be fair, it's been out for a while now and the Nano is much newer. Any mass produced line of guns is bound to have a few issues here in there, but I do prefer the better odds.

Thank you.
NucPhysics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 05:50 PM   #2

UMBlue .22
I've had no issues with Federal Champion (115gr fmj), WWB (115gr fmj), or my carry ammo 147gr HST.

I've only fired a few dozen rounds of the HST and several hundred each of the other two.
UMBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 06:03 PM   #3

NucPhysics .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by UMBlue View Post
I've had no issues with Federal Champion (115gr fmj), WWB (115gr fmj), or my carry ammo 147gr HST.

I've only fired a few dozen rounds of the HST and several hundred each of the other two.
That's good to hear. Some on the Beretta Forum feel that the Nano's ejection problems are related to the extractor slipping off the case. To me, that is irrelavant to how hot the ammo is. Weak ammo may cause the slide to not fully cycle properly and thus not eject as well, but that isn't why the extractor is "slipping off". Just my opinion.

Sounds like the PPS is probably the way to go. It is a little larger than I wanted for CC, but reliability is much more important.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:19 PM   #4

Chadwick99 .22
I recently got my PPS back from S&W because of some extraction issues. They replaced the recoil spring and now it's flawless. It worked great for around 1,000 rounds or so and then the extraction issues began. Any gun can have issues and I mean any gun. I had issues with a Kahr PM40 too and I switched to the PPS and despite having issues with it I still love it. Most accurate pistol in my collection and despite its size it's very comfortable. I say go with the PPS. I love the trigger on it versus most other small pistols in its class. Another option to consider is the new XD slim that is going to be coming out very soon. It sounds like it is going to be close to the size of the PPS but shoots a .45. Capacity is a complaint for some but it looks like its going to be winner.
Chadwick99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 06:23 PM   #5

Becker .22
I have had no problems with my 9mm PPS. It has fed everything I put through it regardless of weight, brand, FMJ or JHP. I never fired a Nano but when I held it the gun just didnt feel right in my hand. On the Beretta forum they do mention staying with the heavier ammo, speculation was that the gun was designed around the 40cal and that the recoil springs were to heavy to function reliably with the lighter 9mm loads. Thats what I read , I dont know how true it is.
Becker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 06:32 PM   #6

UMBlue .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by NucPhysics View Post
That's good to hear. Some on the Beretta Forum feel that the Nano's ejection problems are related to the extractor slipping off the case. To me, that is irrelavant to how hot the ammo is. Weak ammo may cause the slide to not fully cycle properly and thus not eject as well, but that isn't why the extractor is "slipping off". Just my opinion.

Sounds like the PPS is probably the way to go. It is a little larger than I wanted for CC, but reliability is much more important.
I've heard that WWB has a smaller case rim for an extractor to grab onto. There were a lot of issues with M&P owners using WWB (although I never had an issue with my 3 M&Ps)... It seemed to be totally limited to WWB though.

But I agree that would seem to be a different issue from how "hot" a particular ammo was anyway.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:34 PM   #7

UMBlue .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becker View Post
On the Beretta forum they do mention staying with the heavier ammo, speculation was that the gun was designed around the 40cal and that the recoil springs were to heavy to function reliably with the lighter 9mm loads. Thats what I read , I dont know how true it is.
That would make sense.

(assuming the Nano was designed around the .40)
Old 03-18-2012, 07:12 PM   #8

kent e .22
You could just stick with the heavier rounds in the nano. I like the nano. It's a nice small gun.

I like that the PPS has big gun performance with little gun concealment.
kent e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:32 PM   #9

NucPhysics .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by kent e View Post
You could just stick with the heavier rounds in the nano. I like the nano. It's a nice small gun.

I like that the PPS has big gun performance with little gun concealment.
Do you feel that the Nano is better concealable compared to the PPS, or is the slight size difference pretty much irrelevant. I believe the difference between the two is small, but a little can go a long way.

Also, if you had to pick just one, which gun would you carry for CC/Backup and why.

I prefer opinions and reviews on a forum like this rather than the so called "professional" reviewers. They too often seem to say whatever sounds good so they will continue to get support and/or free stuff from the manufacturers.

Thanks.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:50 PM   #10

Medieval_Creations .22
I've fired Remington UMC, Federal: Lawman, Federal: Champion and Hornady: Critical Defense at the range. I carry with the Hornady.

I just got my PPS in January and have only put about 300 or so rounds through it. It is my first hand gun and my carry gun. I've only had 1 FtE. That was after the initial purchase and I believe due to lack of lubrication on the slide. After cleaning and proper lubrication I've had 0 issues with my PPS and very happy with my purchase.
Medieval_Creations is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPS

Search tags for this page
ammo for nano

beretta nano ammo

beretta nano ammo issues

beretta nano ejector problems

beretta nano extractor

beretta nano extractor problems

beretta nano extractor replacement

beretta nano recommended ammo

best 9mm ammo for beretta nano

best ammo for beretta nano

best ammo for nano
nano ammo
Click on a term to search for related topics.