WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPS

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2012, 11:53 PM   #1

Lexington_Patriot .22
PPS Modifications

Sponsored Links
After much research, I purchased a PPS40 from a local shop. Reading Dmers post about cleaning and lubrication, out to the range I went...and there occured my first surprise. Oh, no...not with the weapon...with my hand! Seems my trigger finger has arthritis in it. That I could live with...but in MA the only way you can buy the PPS is with a 10.5 pound trigger pull. Add my arthritis on top of that, and I am an accident looking for some place to happen.

Legal question for this fine bunch of people: the disconnector has the "H" mark, which I believe marks the weapon as a "heavy" pull. I know there is an "S" disconnector which I have been led to believe would change the PPS to a 5 or 6 pound pull. The legal question is, can I substitute the "S" disconnect?
Old 02-18-2012, 09:19 AM   #2

Soldiernurse .22
Wow, sucks to live in MA :-(

Bought my PPS in God's Country (Texas) & the stock trigger pull is 5.5-7lb. I've traded or sold other previous handguns with 9lb pull.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 02-18-2012, 06:12 PM   #3

hakuin .22
There would be no reason why you couldn't swap out your disconnector under Federal rules. Now, as for your State, that could be an issue if, for instance, you ever had to use the pistol defensively and have it taken into custody by the investigating agency. They might, as a matter of course send it to their crime lab for a detailed inspection (which might involve them noting the State-required pull had been modified). Depends on what the agency normally does in these cases.
Old 02-18-2012, 07:47 PM   #4

Dragonheart .22
I guess my question is what is the penalty for modifying a trigger pull in your state? If it's just a fine then I would modify and pay the fine if I were ever involved in a situation where the gun saved my life. The odds are most of us will carry a gun for our entire life and never have a reason to draw it.
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
Dragonheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 08:47 PM   #5

Rothenfluh .22
Might just be easier to move to Texas.

R
outwardhound likes this.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:47 PM   #6

olympicmotors .22
If you go the glocktalk.com and read Mas Ayoob's column he is frequently asked this question. It is the general consensus to not modify a carry weapon, especially the trigger pull weight. This can come back to haunt you in court when you would otherwise be in the clear.
olympicmotors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 11:12 PM   #7

Adrenolin .22
I've got a S&W SW9VE 9mm with an unbelievably long pull WITH an 11.5Lb pull. Its not fun and with arthritis I couldn't imagine. This will be having some trigger and spring work done to it shortly to improve this however its lawful to do where I live.

Since your in MA and the state/local law requires a heavier 10+ Lb trigger I'd say legally you shouldn't do it. I'd suggest you place a call into the local Sheriff's office or to the local State Police barracks and ask them to get the legal advice your looking for.
Adrenolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 11:16 PM   #8

Adrenolin .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by olympicmotors View Post
If you go the glocktalk.com and read Mas Ayoob's column he is frequently asked this question. It is the general consensus to not modify a carry weapon, especially the trigger pull weight. This can come back to haunt you in court when you would otherwise be in the clear.
I agree generally however this guy has a legitimate medical reason for the modification which could assist if he ever needed to use it while CCing. Again this is why I suggested to contact the local/state police and talk to them. Might even be worth the trip and call and make an appointment to have a sit down with an officer.
Adrenolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 12:54 AM   #9

UMBlue .22
Quote:

This seems to be far more of a theory than an actual issue. Other experts dismiss it as silly (I agree).

If it's a clean shoot you should have nothing to worry about. If it's a bad shoot it won't help if your weapon is stock. If it's a questionable shoot and/or a witch hunt then they'll always find some way to demonize you anyway. The odds of being done in by a reasonable mod (mounting a chainsaw to a shotgun might be a little overboard ) are slim to none.

On the other hand...

If the time comes when you actually need your weapon... You'll probably want any and every advantage possible and pray you'll be worrying about court the next day.

I'm speaking in general here ^^^.

As for the OP...

I'd check your local laws to see if it's legal.

If it is, do it.

If it isn't, move.
UMBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 01:08 AM   #10

n5wd .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by olympicmotors View Post
Note that Mas is IN THEORY it might come back to haunt you - the IN THEORY is important since apparently there is no case law on the subject, anywhere.

As to the OP's point - I think (but IANAL) that you should be able to make a case for modification to the weapon based upon a physical disability (i.e. the arthritis ).
n5wd is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPS

Search tags for this page
pps mod
pps modifications
pps modifications portland or
top walther pps modifications
walther pps glocktalk
walther pps massachusetts legal?

walther pps modifications

walther pps modified

walther pps mods

walther pps trigger kit
walther pps trigger mod
walther pps trigger mods
Click on a term to search for related topics.