WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2012, 03:24 PM   #1

kraigster414 .22
New Crimson Trace CMR-201 Very Disappointing

Sponsored Links
I was really hoping that the CRM201 would change my opinion about inexpensive rail mount lasers. Unfortunately, it did not. In my opinion, this unit is simply not made to the standards of CT's other lasers and I am sure the price point has something to do with it. My unit would not activate if screwed-down too tight on the rail, the left hand activation lever did not have the same tactile "feel" (that distinct click when turned on and off) as the right hand activation lever, and my unit would actually activate on its own when turned off and live fire shooting with iron sights (no, my finger was not touching).

What a mess. I am returning for a replacement but if the second has similar problems, I have to say, this is not the unit I was looking forward to from CT and it's just another cheap rail mount laser. No different than the many that are coming in from overseas. Sorry to be so blunt but....if the replacement holds up, I am willing to admit mine was a fluke. Stuff happens. When I test out the replacement, I'll re-post.

Last edited by kraigster414; 02-17-2012 at 04:47 PM.
kraigster414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:46 PM   #2

pinion .22
Perhaps you screwed it too tightly to the rail.
pinion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:56 PM   #3

kraigster414 .22
With any rail mount laser, you do should not over torx but tighten by hand until your feel moderate resistance and then tighten a drop more. I have been doing this for years with a variety of rail mount devices and never head a problem. I also usually apply a drop or two of blue Loctite to the thread screws. No, that was not the case with the CT and if you don't properly secure the unit to the rails, it will loosen under recoil (if you shoot enough) and change the POI. You don't want that nor do you want to have to continually re-tighten your laser after each range session. Either I got a lemon which is possible, or the CT CMR-201 is just another inexpensive rail mount laser (like so many from overseas) not intended for heavy or continuous use but adequate in an emergency. Trouble is, you have to practice continually to remain proficient, laser or not. I am hoping the replacement unit being sent is better.

Last edited by kraigster414; 02-18-2012 at 09:47 PM.
kraigster414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 05:21 PM   #4

hakuin .22
Sorry to hear this...CT usually has such good stuff, too. I have been hoping they would develop a unit designed for the PPS, but guess the low sales numbers have kept them from production compared to other (newer) models...
Old 02-18-2012, 05:40 PM   #5

kraigster414 .22
The mag release lever on the PPS is problematic for designing dedicated CT laser.

I'am afraid (my opinion only) that with the CMR-201, we have just another one-size-fits all inexpensive rail mount laser that is not designed for heavy use. I also do not like the losseness of the windage and elevation adjustment screws. I like these screws to feel tight when turning. But for a C note and some change, it's worth a look.
Old 02-18-2012, 06:35 PM   #6

Dragonheart .22
I was happy to see your post as I have been thinking about purchasing the CT rail mount as I have the CT Laserguard on two other handguns and I like the lasers a lot. I can see where the PPS magazine release would interfere with the trigger guard mound of the standard Laserguard, but I would think they could come up with something of quality using the rail and still have the activation button on the front of the grip.
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
Dragonheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 08:27 PM   #7

hakuin .22
Comment edited for temporary-loss of mind.

Last edited by hakuin; 02-19-2012 at 03:47 PM.
hakuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 12:27 PM   #8

kraigster414 .22
As promised, here is a postscript...I received a replacement CMR201 from Black Bear Sporting Goods (by the way, their customer service is outstanding, highly recommend you order the CT from them), and special kudos to Sabrina.

I decided this time to install it on my Jericho 9mm (Baby Eagle 941 compact, shown below because I already have Meprolights on my PPS that are excellent and easy to pick up plus holsters that won't fit it with the laser attached. This time it was a whole different story....no problems with accidental activation when firing, a very distinct "click" when activating the on/off panel from the left side; in short, no complaints given the cost of the unit. 'Still not sure the CT rail laser will hold up to heavy and continuous use - true for all the inexpensive rail mount units in its price range, but certainly worth a try, especially for the baby boomers out there whose eyes are not what they used to be.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:39 PM   #9

hakuin .22
Thanks for the update! My concern is over holster-availablility as well. Maybe once they're out there in larger numbers...
Old 04-20-2012, 10:53 PM   #10

Kodydog .22
CMR-201 Laser

I put the CMR-201 Laser on my PPS today and it fits really nice. Now to get it sighted in and see how long it will last under the punishment of the 40 cal.
Rock River AR-15 Elite Operator
Kodydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPS

Search tags for this page

cmr 201

cmr 201 laser
cmr 201 review

cmr-201

cmr-201 review
cmr201
crimson trace 201
crimson trace cmr 201
crimson trace cmr 201 reviews

crimson trace cmr-201

crimson trace cmr-201 review

crimson trace cmr201
Click on a term to search for related topics.