WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPS

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2011, 09:42 PM   #1

olympicmotors .22
PPS checklist before buying

Sponsored Links
After reading some of the threads I have come up with this checklist before buying my new PPS.

1. Try to get a BB date code made in 2011 to get the upgraded slide stop. The BA date code probably will not have the new stop with the tab to hold the spring. ( They seem to have changed over about Oct. 2010 )

2. Field strip it and make sure the tab is on the slide stop lever and check to see if it has the standard trigger spring, not the heavy one (although this may not be a problem since I do not live in Massachusetts )

3. hopefully the BB date code will come with 2 magazines. What are the magazines they are shipped with currently? a 5 round flush fit and a 6 round extended? ( I am buying a 40 cal.)

4. buy a set of Meprolights and install them myself ( I checked and Walther wants about 200 dollars more for their stock night sights over and above the cost of the gun)

Does all this information sound accurate? Anything I am missing, or other advice?

Thanks for all the help, this has been a good forum to read pre-purchase.
olympicmotors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 10:00 PM   #2

Firemanjones .22
Mine has a BA code and was test fired 6/2010 and has the tab. If you are purchasing the gun at a store just check it. If online get the BB for sure.

Oh, and make sure it has the S disconnector if you do not live in Mass.

Last edited by Firemanjones; 12-22-2011 at 10:21 PM.
Firemanjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 10:03 PM   #3

olympicmotors .22
one other thing:

What about guide rods and springs? My Glock 27 plastic guide rod broke with about 200 rounds through it and I replaced it with a metal guide rod and 2lb overpressure springs from Wolf. No other problems after that.
olympicmotors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 10:54 PM   #4

PPSwilson .22
I bought a BB 2011 mfg today for $509 with a 7 and 8 round mags. I checked every dealer in the area and thanks to this forum I knew what to look for. One dealer emailed me that he would match Jetguns for $488. Drove there and all 7 he had were AK 2009 mfg. Personal Defense in Raleigh took care of me today by holding when it arrived today. Ask for Mike there and tell him Tim sent you. I give a plug because he was the only dealer to be fair on the price and knew that I only wanted a BB.
PPSwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 12:17 AM   #5

Whitebrad25 .22
You should be getting 6 and 7 rounders and yes look for a BB code...not because there is anything wrong with other years but if you are buying new it can't hurt to make sure you are getting a new gun. Make sure to check for the S (standard) on the connector instead of the H (heavy).

As far as guide rods and springs....I say don't fix what isn't broken but some people sware by them...I would not worry about that though.
Whitebrad25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 09:30 AM   #6

SIG9 .22
Stupid question from a noob but how do I know if I got a BA or BB date code? Is it printed on the frame or on the sticker on the case?
SIG9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 09:57 AM   #7

zbee .22
I bought mine two weeks ago and didnt know about the problem when i made the purchase. i got lucky though because mine has the tab. the fired date is 5/7/10. Maybe this will help determine some kind of timeline for the changeover. I also want to say the PPS is quite a caddillac compared to my LC9. Quality is amazing and feel is just night and day compared to other 9s Ive shot.
zbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 10:42 AM   #8

M_E_ .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitebrad25 View Post
You should be getting 6 and 7 rounders and yes look for a BB code...not because there is anything wrong with other years but if you are buying new it can't hurt to make sure you are getting a new gun. Make sure to check for the S (standard) on the connector instead of the H (heavy).

As far as guide rods and springs....I say don't fix what isn't broken but some people sware by them...I would not worry about that though.

There are numerous threads here about PPS & other Walther guide rods. I have a stainless steel guide rod in my PPS. Go to BTGuiderods & you will find the best guide rods available. I bought the kit with the rod & tool to change my springs out. I have changed out many of my friends plastic ones in their PPSs.

All the springs are factory Walther. Don't believe there are any aftermarket ones. I also have a complete recoil spring pack ( the only way you can get springs from Walther) just in case I want to go back to stock.

NRA Life Member

Residing in the Great Free State of Arizona
M_E_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 05:37 PM   #9

Whitebrad25 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_E_ View Post
There are numerous threads here about PPS & other Walther guide rods. I have a stainless steel guide rod in my PPS. Go to BTGuiderods & you will find the best guide rods available. I bought the kit with the rod & tool to change my springs out. I have changed out many of my friends plastic ones in their PPSs.

All the springs are factory Walther. Don't believe there are any aftermarket ones. I also have a complete recoil spring pack ( the only way you can get springs from Walther) just in case I want to go back to stock.
I understand the general desire for them, but on this forum there has been an instance (it was adressed by the company) where an aftermarket guide rod broke.....to me, when it brakes I will fix it. I just don't see the NEED for one. I just feel that the plastic guide rod is perfectly sufficient...if I ever have any issues (I doubt I will) I will replace it at that time. To me, it just seems to add more variables than keeping the design left alone....but, as I said before, some people sware by them...I just don't see a NEED.

Last edited by Whitebrad25; 12-23-2011 at 05:44 PM.
Whitebrad25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 09:17 PM   #10

SIG9 .22
Looks like I got lucky. Turns out I got a BB code (just purchased this week). Amazing little gun.
SIG9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPS

Search tags for this page

buy walther pps

new edition of walther pps in 2012
should i buy a walther pps
walther pps 2012
walther pps buy
walther pps date code
walther pps date codes

walther pps forum

walther pps guide rod

walther pps kit

walther pps price
where to buy walther pps
Click on a term to search for related topics.