WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2011, 12:58 AM   #1

n5wd .22
Anyone thought of the LaserLyte rear sight laser for PPS?

Sponsored Links
I know a guy who has the LaserLyte rear sight laser system on his Glock (see: here to see that web page). Mounting the laser on the rear sight seems to cure any parallax problems, and is, I think, an elegant solution to the problem of where to mount a laser on a PPS.

While there are lots of other contenders, including the Viridian CL5, and the Armalaser SR-2 and RSS (See here for a listing of many of the PPS compatible lasers from Laser Pro Shops - select the Walther and PPS on the left hand frame), the LaserLyte would be my first choice if it were available for the PPS.

Alas, LaserLytes says they're not considering it, right now, because no one's told them that they'd want such a product.

So, if something like this would interest you, would you mind emailing Niki. the customer service person at LaserLyte (who told me that they keep track of customer requests, and that they have a lot to do with what they work on in the future) to express YOUR interest?

Her address is: nikki@laserlyte.com

Be nice to her, please.
n5wd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 09:29 AM   #2

surrealone .38
I'm not a fan of lasers that have to be manually turned on/off for use in self defense situations -- specifically because the time it takes to turn them on could cost you or another the ability to continue living. This means from a self-defense angle I tend only to suggest lasers like Crimson Trace products (which come on when the grip is squeezed) -- but CT's products follow the trigger guard in Glock-like setups ... which won't work for the PPS due to the placement of the magazine release lever.

The potential use I see for Laserlyte's system is at the range when practicing -- specifically to help identify grip squeeze and/or recoil anticipation problems. While rail-mounted systems work fine, Laserlyte's approach would be superior to rail-mounted systems if the person were conducting presentation drills, since the Laserlyte system doesn't require a special holster (fitted for use with a rail-mounted laser) to use. Its drawback, however, is that it's not easily removable like a rail-mounted system would be.

All of this said, I sent an email, because while it may not be my bag of beans to waste precious partial seconds turning on a laser in a life/death situation, who am I to argue with someone who wants to do that; I can only suggest and recommend -- free people can and will do what they want. More choices are usually better... as long as people think through their applications and understand potential risks/limitations when choosing.

Surreal

Last edited by surrealone; 09-12-2011 at 01:17 PM.
surrealone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 10:03 AM   #3

Dude22 .22
I owned a Kahr with a CT laser. I agree with surrealone. They are fine for the range and training. Dark clothes have a tendency to absorb the laser and in a threating situation people have a tendency to look for the laser on the target and this wastes precious time in a life threatening situation. My 2 cents.

SR22

Be safe and always plan for that gun in the back of your head when walking out of the store. Be safe. Be prepared.
Dude22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 11:07 AM   #4

swa0210 .22
I almost got the rear sight laser once, for my pt709(taurus) but instead went with the CT laser guard.

I really like the ingenuity of the laserlyte for the many reasons they tout, including not needing a different holster, but was honestly unsure of its performance for what I needed. The 709 sits in the drawer next to the bed as a back up for the wife and I needed something that she could activate without thinking about, and the laserlyte wasn't able to do that with the button activation on the back(the CT activates with a tight grip only). And the laser would only be used inside and mainly at night, both "ideal" ( I had to) conditions for laser use on a firearm.

And I've used the laser at the range for the exact reasons mentioned above. While the laser made target acquisition easier my groups were always tighter without it. This lends credence to Dude's mentioning that we might spend more time looking for the laser instead of instinctively shooting.

But with that said, like Surreal, while it may not be my cup of tea the more options for our PPS the better. I'm sure someone out there would like it/need it for their purposes.

Thanks for researching the POC n5wd. Cheers!
swa0210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 01:15 AM   #5

branflake12 .22
Ill put my name in for wanting one...would a rear sight not only fit the PPS, but the p99 and ppq as well? seems if we can pitch it as a "multiple birds" product, it might go over well.
branflake12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 10:02 AM   #6
Supporting Member

uncut .22
branflake12
you are almost correct....
from the factory the P99 and PPQ come with a windage adjustable sight the PPS comes with a fixed sight that has a roll pin in place to secure the sight
if the sight will be for the PPS it will work on the P99 and PPQ as the "cutout" on the slide of the P99/PPQ is of the same dimensions but has a hole for the sight plunger
installing a PPS sight on the P99 and PPQ is a bit tricky as the roll pin needs to slide over the hole for the sight plunger which is solved in the PPS with a small ramp on the right side of the slide
on the picture you will see the PPS slide with sight on the left, a PPS slide in the white without a sight (see the ramp) and on the right a P00/AS slide where you can see the hole for the sight plunger

So if anybody wants to make a one size fits all sight for the Walther's it needs to be done of a PPS sight to be able to work on the other guns
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PPS_Slide-Cut-1-small.jpg (51.1 KB, 46 views)

Nothing but the best for the best
Old 10-20-2011, 10:06 AM   #7

branflake12 .22
Nice uncut...I may copy/link that info when i submit the request.
branflake12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 03:06 PM   #8

Sixer .22
I recently purchased a Ruger SR9c for my dad. The gun was in excellent used condition and included the rear LaserLyte sight. I will say that the sight / laser was sturdy, BUT it stopped working all together after a few trips to the range.

I know it's impossible to tell what kind of use / abuse the LaserLyte took before buying the gun... but I personally wouldn't spend my own money on a new one.

Take it FWIW
Sixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 09:48 PM   #9

n5wd .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixer View Post
I recently purchased a Ruger SR9c for my dad. The gun was in excellent used condition and included the rear LaserLyte sight. I will say that the sight / laser was sturdy, BUT it stopped working all together after a few trips to the range.

Uh, you DID change the battery, right?
n5wd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 01:56 AM   #10

Sixer .22
Quote:
Uh, you DID change the battery, right?
Haha... You know I never thought of that!

Seriosly though, I bought brand new batteries and still got nothing. I even double and triple checked to make sure they were installed correctly
Sixer is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPS

Search tags for this page
laser sights for walther pps

laserlyte for walther pps

laserlyte for wsltermp99
laserlyte rear sight for ruger sr9
p99 rear sight with laser

pps laser sight

problems laserlyte glock

rear sight laser for walther pps

rear sight laser p99
rear sites for walther pps
walther pps adjustable rear grip

walther pps rear sight laser

Click on a term to search for related topics.