New Q5 and some newbie questions - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPQ

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2017, 09:38 PM   #1

Bwana1 .22
New Q5 and some newbie questions

Hi guys,
My first post here, and a very happy owner of a couple new Walthers.

Just nailed down a new Q5 after a bunch of reading, was juggling the PPQ 5" but decided to go with the Q5...gun will arrive on Monday at my FFL, and need some basic advice.

1)If I really learn to hate the disco blue trigger, can it ve changed out to the stock black PPQ trigger ?
2)What bullet weights are beneficial to solid accuracy ?, I was planning on the 147's since I have 1500 of them laying around.
3)Is the rear sight fairly easy to change out ?, I'd like something with more contrast(white outline, 2 white dots, 2 fiber optic dots, etc..)
4)And last but not least, why doesn't the Q5 Match get it's own section in firearms like the other models ?

Appreciate your help and advice, and glad to be aboard the Walther train.
Bwana1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 04-20-2017, 09:58 PM   #2
Supporting Member

imaoldfart .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwana1 View Post
Hi guys,
My first post here, and a very happy owner of a couple new Walthers.

Just nailed down a new Q5 after a bunch of reading, was juggling the PPQ 5" but decided to go with the Q5...gun will arrive on Monday at my FFL, and need some basic advice.

1)If I really learn to hate the disco blue trigger, can it ve changed out to the stock black PPQ trigger ?
2)What bullet weights are beneficial to solid accuracy ?, I was planning on the 147's since I have 1500 of them laying around.
3)Is the rear sight fairly easy to change out ?, I'd like something with more contrast(white outline, 2 white dots, 2 fiber optic dots, etc..)
4)And last but not least, why doesn't the Q5 Match get it's own section in firearms like the other models ?

Appreciate your help and advice, and glad to be aboard the Walther train.
Congratulations Bwana1. The Q5 is a fine specimen....I'll provide some responses to your questions.

1) Hate the blue trigger? Well, the Q5 uses the same internal parts/pieces as the other Q's. The Q5 trigger is painted blue....no added benefit....its just blue....I like it. The Q5 trigger bar has a blue hue/coating on it to reduce friction.

2) 124 gr. But, shoot what cha got.....its not gonna hurt anything.

3) The Q5 comes with an aftermarket rear sight, fully adjustable for windage and elevation. The REAL selling point on the Q5 is the fact that it comes with the slide milled for a red dot optic. If you don't plan on using a red dot, you could have saved yourself some money and simply picked up a regular ole 5". And, if you've never used a red dot, you don't know what you're missing.

I gotta say this...as I sit here typing this at 8:55 PM, I'm carrying one of my PPQ 5 inchers with a Deltapoint Pro and a Viridian X5L.....I wear this sucker ever day.

4) Don't know.

Welcome to the forum......enjoy you Q5.

Last edited by imaoldfart; 04-20-2017 at 10:17 PM.
imaoldfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 10:19 PM   #3

Bwana1 .22
Appreciate the welcome and the advice

I don't "dislike" the blue trigger, but it could clash with my green plaid slacks someday...so figured I'd ask for future reference. I actually have 124 gr. FMJ's also, was planning on using them with my new PPS M1..but I reload, so can make what works best.

I bounced around the PPQ 5" & Q5 Match for a bit, then decided I liked the cool slide and upgraded sights on the Q5 better...I didn't want to start working on the gun the day it arrived. Maybe I'll add a white outline with quality paint to the rear, but I like that it's fully adjustable. I'm a lefty, so usually something needs adjusted to fit me anyway...btw really like the paddle release on the PPS, would like to see that added to a 5" model someday.

Most of my pistols are for target/sport shooting, and I have 2 that I use for CCW...but waiting on a custom lefty OWB holster for the PPS now. The Q will be for range work only, and I hear the trigger is great.

Thank you for the help

Old 04-21-2017, 06:34 AM   #4

agksimon .22
I am also a lefty with a Q5 Match. I did extensive ammo testing and the 124 grain American Eagle and the 124 grain Remington gave 1-2 inch, 25 yard groups, off a bench. Other brands not as well. The 147 grain American Eagle was almost as good. The 115 grain just plain sucked, with 4-5 inch groups. I also polished the trigger bar contacts, for a smoother pull.
I am 72 and with old man's eyes, needed help on the rear sight, especially since I shoot IDPA with this gun. I not only widened the slot on the rear sight, for faster target acquisition, but added NiteSiter, stick-on dots to it. Much better for me.

Old 04-21-2017, 07:10 AM   #5
Supporting Member

imaoldfart .22
Way ta go Bwana. I also do mostly target shooting....I do a little smoothing and lightening of the triggers on ALL my target pistols.....check out this link PPQ 3.5lb trigger mod .

Don't know if you're aware or not, but the PPQ frames are ALL the same....except for the button and paddle mag release. Meaning you can put a 5" upper end on a paddle frame. Quite a few people have done this, including me. Only down side is you need to purchase an additional PPQ M1.

Blue and green.....oh, I understand.....that's the color I usually am after my x-wife finishes with me. Wait, maybe that's black and blue.....

Enjoy your Q.....and good luck on modding your rear sight.

Agksimon......looking gooooooood........

Edit: Bwana1, Just did a little search....this might be of interest to ya http://www.lpasights.com/en/products...id=30&vmcchk=1

Last edited by imaoldfart; 04-21-2017 at 08:09 AM.
Old 04-21-2017, 06:12 PM   #6

Bwana1 .22
agksimon: Those dots actually look pretty nice, are they a fiber colored ball or flat sticker ?...have you used the Daysiter version ? may have to try them

iaof: Thanks for the link, they look great and may be the best option for quality. I don't want to give up the adjustable factor on the back sight.
Old 04-21-2017, 06:33 PM   #7
Supporting Member

imaoldfart .22
Bwana1....the Q5 uses LPA sights. They are windage/elevation adjustable. The real question is: Who is the importer/distributor for LPA sights here in the US?

edit: Found it.

FUSION FIREARMS
795 Commerce Drive, STE 8
Venice FL 34292
USA

E-mail: rserva@outlook.com
Telefono: +1 941-485-2579
Fax: +1 941-485-2459
http://www.fusionfirearms.com

Last edited by imaoldfart; 04-21-2017 at 06:42 PM.
Old 04-21-2017, 06:41 PM   #8

Bwana1 .22
Is the answer: Walther
Old 04-21-2017, 06:45 PM   #9
Supporting Member

imaoldfart .22
If you order a replacement rear sight for your Q5 from Walther, it'll be just like the original 'black'....no dots of FO.

The importer/distributor will be able to sell you any one of the three offerings.....depending on availability.

Last edited by imaoldfart; 04-21-2017 at 06:55 PM.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:35 PM   #10

WaterDR .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by agksimon View Post
I am also a lefty with a Q5 Match. I did extensive ammo testing and the 124 grain American Eagle and the 124 grain Remington gave 1-2 inch, 25 yard groups, off a bench. Other brands not as well. The 147 grain American Eagle was almost as good. The 115 grain just plain sucked, with 4-5 inch groups. I also polished the trigger bar contacts, for a smoother pull.
I am 72 and with old man's eyes, needed help on the rear sight, especially since I shoot IDPA with this gun. I not only widened the slot on the rear sight, for faster target acquisition, but added NiteSiter, stick-on dots to it. Much better for me.

Funny how everyone has different preferences. To me, having a small front sight is not good for quick acquisition.

That's why I like the XS sights so much.
WaterDR is online now   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPQ