DPM for PPQ 45 - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPQ

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2017, 07:06 PM   #1

chandler5566 .22
DPM for PPQ 45

For those using DPM in their PPQ 45....which spring did you end up using for 230gr JHP? Did you find a need/desire to change the spring when the round changed to a +P or equivalent charge (I use Federal 230gr HST +P for SD)?

Last edited by chandler5566; 02-08-2017 at 07:09 PM.
chandler5566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 02-09-2017, 02:22 PM   #2

chandler5566 .22
Just returned from the range after shooting the PPQ 45 with a DPM system and the XDs 45 with its DPM. The reduction in perceived recoil was sufficient to be noticed however not as much as I was expecting based on their videos and online comments. Results did not justify cost.
Old 02-11-2017, 07:34 AM   #3
Supporting Member

olsoul .22
I'd be much more interested in the speed and accuracy of your follow up shots chandler.

Were your speed groupings tighter? This is my only criterion for judging the success or failure of an aftermarket RSA.

I was thinking about trying a DPM as I'm hearing Alan at SprinCo still needs more time to finish his system but I may just continue my wait.

olsoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-11-2017, 07:44 AM   #4

Combat .22
Chandler, thanks for your honest assessment. I'm taking the DPM update off the ta'do list. For about 15% the price of the entire gun, like you say, should do more.
Combat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 09:38 AM   #5

chandler5566 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by olsoul View Post
Were your speed groupings tighter? I was thinking about trying a DPM as I'm hearing Alan at SprinCo still needs more time to finish his system but I may just continue my wait.
Keep in mind that I am not the most accurate shooter around and while I would love to be able to produce tight groups....it's rare. That said, I have to compare and rate what I do each time I pull the trigger and observe 2 reactions.....where is the sight after the explosion and is my time to be back "on target" ready to pull again any faster. The answer to both those questions is....the sight was ever so slightly lower and the time of return to target was minimally improved.

There is another point to be made. In both the PPQ 45 and the XDs 45 I used the longest recoil spring. Both come with 3 springs ranging from shortest to longest (weaker to strongest) so to be 100% certain I believe I need to shoot all 3 in the same session. I am confident that my grip was not a large variable although I was changing the grip a bit to see if that was affecting movement and recovery on target.

As for Sprinco...yes, the lady checked on Monday of this week and said it would be 2-3 months.
Old 02-11-2017, 09:43 AM   #6

chandler5566 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Combat View Post
Chandler, thanks for your honest assessment. I'm taking the DPM update off the ta'do list. For about 15% the price of the entire gun, like you say, should do more.
I have heard similar comments re Sprinco but I would recommend that you wait for more input especially if olsoul is going to try either of those. he shoots more from a competitive standpoint and certainly shoots a hell of a lot more than me. Don't be too quick to write it off.....completely. Also, I intend to try all 3 springs although I believe that the longest spring is the best for 230gr 45 ammo. Also, I did fire about 10 rounds each of the Federal 230gr HST +P and that seemed to be about the same as the standard 230gr.
Old 02-11-2017, 01:23 PM   #7

Combat .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by chandler5566 View Post
I have heard similar comments re Sprinco but I would recommend that you wait for more input especially if olsoul is going to try either of those. he shoots more from a competitive standpoint and certainly shoots a hell of a lot more than me. Don't be too quick to write it off.....completely. Also, I intend to try all 3 springs although I believe that the longest spring is the best for 230gr 45 ammo. Also, I did fire about 10 rounds each of the Federal 230gr HST +P and that seemed to be about the same as the standard 230gr.
So this is another way to look at it,, and actually quantify it, if you are saying the HST +P shot with DPM "feels like" standard 230 HST (shot without DPM), you are getting a 6.7% improvement in recoil response with the DPM based on the difference in the two ammo type's velocity/momentum (maybe not exactly, but a good way to estimate it). Not much bang for the buck for me, but might be for someone else, depends how much the current recoil needs to be improved for a given shooter (eg, every bit counts). (If you are saying something else we can do another quick calculation).

Last edited by Combat; 02-11-2017 at 01:26 PM.
Combat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 02:50 PM   #8

chandler5566 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Combat View Post
So this is another way to look at it,, and actually quantify it, if you are saying the HST +P shot with DPM "feels like" standard 230 HST (shot without DPM).
Sorry....what I meant was using the longest (strongest) spring the 230gr HST +P felt about the same as the 230gr standard also using the longest spring.
Old 02-11-2017, 06:04 PM   #9
Supporting Member

olsoul .22
I wouldn't say I'm a "competitive" shooter, rather a "survival" shooter. I am looking for any edge when push comes to shove.

You are correct that I'll be getting a SprinCo RSA from Alan as soon as he has them ready. I'll definitely do a review.

Keep in mind my requirements are a bit different from most combat shooters because I must shoot one handed. I'm hoping that Alan's RSA will afford me faster target reacquisition which as I've said is of critical importance to me.

His 9mm RSAs give me significant improvement and I expect the same from the 45.

olsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 07:45 PM   #10

chandler5566 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by olsoul View Post
I wouldn't say I'm a "competitive" shooter, rather a "survival" shooter. I am looking for any edge when push comes to shove.
Based on prior postings with photos and some of your descriptions I just think of you like a competitor. Caertainly you compete in some ways even if it's against the clock or personal performance. Now, as for myself, I feel like a 6-8 inch group is good for the majority of my shots and if I settle in, take my time I can actually put a number of rounds in that center circle at 21-25 feet.

Anyway....what I wanted to add here is that after watching a video by Nic Taylor (before I purchased the CPM systems) his review of recoil springs used in his Edge competition pistol and what he looked for was both interesting and enlightening. The slow motion portions were interesting in that it showed the positive muzzle movement was about the same whether he used an 18lb or 7lb spring. The difference came in the reduced negative movement was lessened considerable which he felt was beneficial in the overall recovery and second shot capability. Of course he discussed the effcts of load (PF) vs the spring but I am thinking that one of the lighter DPM springs might prove beneficial for me as well.

Here's the video he produced:

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPQ