DPM for PPQ 45 - Page 2 - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPQ

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2017, 02:23 PM   #11

chandler5566 .22
After testing all 3 springs in succession and 80 rounds later I am certain that the DPM has a minor positive affect on overall recoil and its affect on muzzle oscillation is also minimal. However, I felt that the lightest (shortest) spring had the most affect of the 3. As usual when decreasing time between shots my groups were 6-8 inches at 30' but the short spring resulted in greater consistency for group size after firing 30 rounds.
chandler5566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 02-13-2017, 02:48 PM   #12
Supporting Member

olsoul .22
Do you think it would be beneficial in your EDC?

olsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 06:37 PM   #13

chandler5566 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by olsoul View Post
Do you think it would be beneficial in your EDC?
That's the $64 question! I honestly do not think it would. I am now convinced that as you probably already knew....a lot more practice would be of much greater benefit.

Interesting side note (at least for me). There was another shooter on the range in the lane next to me. As I rested between magazines I observed his target(s) which were approx. 21-25 feet and his groups were GREAT.....about 2.5-3". As I observed him shooting I also paid close attention to the recoil of his STI and his recovery because he was getting a lot of quick follow-up shots in. The recoil was at least as much as the PPQ and his recovery appeared to be about the same as mine.....he was much more accurate than I was. At a stop point for him I asked if he shot competitively and he said no....just shoots for personal enjoyment. Turns out he was testing his new replacement STI 40 DVC Classic because he sent his original in twice for FTFe and they could not resolve it. So today was a "break-in and adjust to the new pistol" day. Asked if he always shot with full factory equipped pistol and the answer was yes...never used compensators or recoil reduction systems. Now...that was a great lesson in itself for me.

I will leave the DPM in but it won't be the reason I improve.....assuming I do!
imaoldfart and olsoul like this.

Last edited by chandler5566; 02-13-2017 at 07:03 PM.

Old 02-13-2017, 09:26 PM   #14
Supporting Member

olsoul .22
Nothing beats rounds down range, assuming your technique is good. There are no aftermarket parts that will change Barney Fife into Wyatt Earp.

That being said, there comes a time when even good technique comes up against the limitations of either the weapon or your own physical abilities. That is when the after market equipment may (and I stress may) just shave off a fraction of time that could save your life.

Personally, I try to get about 200 to 500 rounds down range every week with my EDC. Using dynamic targets when possible but always with a drawstroke for my holster. Shooting at a static target with the weapon already presented does little to improve my skill set.

I also budget at least one private lesson per quarter and one class every year.....I've found the lesson and detailed input from those with better skills then mine help me improve and those "outside" eyes can find any little sloppy habits I might have accidentally acquired.

"Practice does not make perfect. Only perfect practice makes perfect."

Again the DPM or SprinCo RSAs won't do anything unless you've done your work first.

Last edited by olsoul; 02-13-2017 at 09:29 PM.
Old 02-14-2017, 08:49 AM   #15

chandler5566 .22
Quote:
Nothing beats rounds down range, assuming your technique is good. There are no aftermarket parts that will change Barney Fife into Wyatt Earp.

OK, so now you're calling me Barney? As I recall....Barney was allowed to carry 1 bullet and not allowed to load it. As for Wyatt Earp....articles I've read indicated he was not the best shot around and certainly not fast. Most say he was the luckiest lawman walking! Anyway....I do need to shoot much more. I've probably fired as many rounds in the past month than the past 2 years....not an exaggeration.

I know when I slow down I can shoot a pretty decent group at 25-35 feet. I was hoping the reduction in muzzle flip would allow for faster (that's at my speed) repeat shots and still be accurate. I now know that the difference is so minimal it doesn't help me even though my groups are still good for body mass hits but I would like to shrink those down to heart plus head!
Old 02-17-2017, 11:57 AM   #16

chandler5566 .22
I am revisiting the DPM testing and reporting story because I made what I consider a significant discovery. A little background first. I am right handed however I started shooting 65 years ago as a lefty. From that time forward I always fired rifle, shotgun and bow left handed. Bought my first pistols at age 22 and because I was naturally right handed and the 2-hand hold was essentially unknown at that time I shot the pistol using my right hand.....and have always done so.

Recently my practice procedure has been focused on the follow-up shots which means target reacquisition as fast as possible.....thus leading to my interest in recoil, measuring recoil and controlling recoil. That led to researching the DPM, Sprinco and other systems. As posted I purchased the DPM system(s) for my XDs 3.3 45 and the PPQ 45. Testing appeared to indicate minimal benefit and I reported that in this Forum. However, what I did not describe was poor group shots regardless of distance whether I shot at 5yd or 10yd. Group would run from approx. center of bull to 8-10 inches to the 7 o'clock position.....consistently.

About 4-5 days ago after giving much thought to why I was pulling those shots and doing so consistently I analyzed everything during dry fire practice. Just for the hell of it I decided to hold with left hand dominant and right hand support.....same position as I have used for rifle/shotgun for 65 years. In practice the hold was more comfortable.....felt natural. The sight picture was also improved because I am left-eye dominant.

Yesterday I went back to the club and fired 50 rounds using left hand only. First group at 30' was approx. 5".....all 12 rounds. Next group was larger but I realized I was grpping too tight with my left hand and adjusted.....POI moved inward on the last few rounds. Third and fourth rounds were much like the first.....smaller and tighter groups for 12 rounds each round. I found my "groove".....shoot left handed!

Now for the DPM side. Continuing with the shortest spring of three I realized my follow-up shots were faster and still holding a "tighter" group. That realization was not instantaneous because I was focused on shooting left handed. The recognition of repeat shots and target acquisition happeing quicker came a few minutes after shooting.

So, this long winded post is intended to say that the DPM system is definitely a benefit for my purposes.....quicker target acquisition and faster second/third thru 12 shots. I will return to the range Monday to test the mid and large size springs to see if there's a difference.
olsoul likes this.
Old 02-17-2017, 04:32 PM   #17
Supporting Member

olsoul .22
There aren't too many folks who would decide to try something like that. Kudos!!!

It will be interesting to hear more as you continue shooting using your left hand as your strong hand.

Old 02-17-2017, 04:40 PM   #18
Supporting Member

imaoldfart .22
Ohhhhh, this too easy.....he bought the 'left handed' DPM version.
Old 02-17-2017, 04:52 PM   #19

chandler5566 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaoldfart View Post
Ohhhhh, this too easy.....he bought the 'left handed' DPM version.
As always....very quick to deduce what really took place. You have to examine closely to see the curve in the rod!
Old 02-17-2017, 05:01 PM   #20

chandler5566 .22
Quote:
There aren't too many folks who would decide to try something like that. Kudos!!! It will be interesting to hear more as you continue shooting using your left hand as your strong hand.
Thank you, olsoul. I will report the updated results of the mid and large size spring testing. I may have to test Sprinco's PPQ 45 system when lan finally gets it into production.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPQ