PPQ 22r Who makes it? - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPQ

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2017, 11:44 AM   #1

jimjc .22
PPQ 22r Who makes it?

I've read conflicting statements in threads so I'd like to get this resolved if I'm going to buy one.

Is the Walther PPQ M2 22LR made by "Umarex" or is it made by Walther or some one else?

Frankly I don't like anything Umarex makes. I looked closely at some of their guns that some of my friends have. Cheap materials and questional quality is what I see. That may/ may not be for all their guns but I haven't seen everything I'd buy.

To be sure, as a Manufacturer, Umarex has the ability of building high quality products. And yes I know they only build what the source contracts them to build but if a Mfg. want's to be viewed as a Mfg. that builds quality products it will let the questional products be built by someone else.
jimjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 01-09-2017, 05:30 AM   #2

jlavallee Trouble working and playing with others.
The PPQ22 is made by Umarex which, is the company that owns Walther.

The PPQ22 is not made at the same plant as the Walther center fire guns and no, they didn't exactly build a trainer, they made a cheap plinker that looks like a proper trainer. It's OK for what it is but an heirloom piece it is not.
jlavallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 08:14 AM   #3
Supporting Member

olsoul .22
The Q22 is a Umarex product. If you look at the proof mark it has the three crowns of the Koln proof house. It is an Arnsberg product not out of the Walther plant in Ulm.

FWIW, my LGS had one in the Blue Line discount display case. Even with that steep price break I gave it a pass.

olsoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2017, 04:59 PM   #4

jimjc .22
Thanks guys! That pretty much sealed it's fate for me. I haven't seen anything from Umerex that gets my money. I haven't seen everything that they have made, but I'm really not looking hard.

After selling off all my 22r guns a few years ago, I'm getting back into them, I've just purchased a Ruger Mk IV and a S&W Victory in 22's.
Old 01-10-2017, 07:50 AM   #5
Supporting Member

olsoul .22
You can find great deals on a Walther PP in 22LR. I have a British Contract L66A1 PP that runs like a fine Swiss watch and is twice as tough as an M1 Abrams tank. It eats everything and is extremely accurate.

Being that the PPs aren't as popular (or maybe as well known) as the PPK and PPK/S versions they don't command the higher prices and they are all steel.

The down side is that they certainly aren't PPQ trainers but once you shoot one I doubt you'll be troubled by that fact.
Spectralex likes this.

olsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 09:41 PM   #6

Cocowheats .22
I highly advise you guys pass on the PPQ22. Mine fired out of battery on its first range visit and when this happened, the casing ruptured round the rim. This caused gas pressure to vent out the ejection port end. Because the gas vented so much out the the ejection port end, the bullet did not have enough oomph to clear the barrel. The following round chambered fine since the obstruction was far enough up the barrel and when it fired, it bulged the barrel and locked up the slide.

Walther ABSOLUTELY refuses to admit the gun fired OOB! They insist it was a squib. They insisted the case rupturing is indictative of a squib. They insist that the "BANG" I heard with my siliencer attached is indicative of a squib as well...

They want $183 to repair my $350 gun that failed due to fault of the gun. I'm out ~$600 with the gun damage, useless magazines I now own, and the new core my silencer needs from the baffle strikes that occurred.

The entire story with pics and up to date responses from Walther can be seen/read HERE.

Last edited by Cocowheats; 01-11-2017 at 09:52 PM.
Cocowheats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 10:13 AM   #7

jimjc .22
[QUOTE=Cocowheats;691025]I highly advise you guys pass on the PPQ22. Mine fired out of battery on its first range visit and when this happened, the casing ruptured round the rim. This caused gas pressure to vent out the ejection port end. Because the gas vented so much out the the ejection port end, the bullet did not have enough oomph to clear the barrel. The following round chambered fine since the obstruction was far enough up the barrel and when it fired, it bulged the barrel and locked up the slide.

Walther ABSOLUTELY refuses to admit the gun fired OOB! They insist it was a squib. They insisted the case rupturing is indictative of a squib. They insist that the "BANG" I heard with my siliencer attached is indicative of a squib as well...

They want $183 to repair my $350 gun that failed due to fault of the gun. I'm out ~$600 with the gun damage, useless magazines I now own, and the new core my silencer needs from the baffle strikes that occurred.

The entire story with pics and up to date responses from Walther can be seen/read HERE.[/QUOTE

Sorry to hear of your problems with the PPQ. Luckly You were not hurt because that could have been dangerous for you.

I'm surprised to hear Umarex just rejected what actually happened and refused to help at all, you would think that some "good will" by Umarex would have benefited them by having a happy customer that would express that Umerex took care of it rather than what they did.

I'm wondering if the bullet Mfg. would help you. The shame is, as you say, you'll be out a lot of money but at least you can sell it after it's fixed and recoup some.
Old 01-13-2017, 07:40 PM   #8

BuffaloGuy .22
Suggest you look at Ruger SR22. As a CCW instructor have introduced many folks to this firearm. Most have loved it. Malfunctions almost non existent. First Ruger pistol I've ever owned and I love it.

Last edited by BuffaloGuy; 01-13-2017 at 07:42 PM.
BuffaloGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 07:54 PM   #9
Supporting Member

Pudge .22
After 45 years of marriage, out of the blue my wife said, "Next time you go shooting, I'd like to go along and learn to shoot."

After I picked my jaw up off the floor, I immediately went and bought her a Ruger SR22. Great training gun.

Pudge
Pudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 11:17 AM   #10

BuffaloGuy .22
Heck Pudge, just being married for 45 years is a freaking miracle.
BuffaloGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPQ

Search tags for this page

is the walther ppq m2 22lr made in ulm or by umarex?

Click on a term to search for related topics.