Minor issue with takedown lever - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPQ

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2017, 07:25 AM   #1

ricdawg77 .22
Exclamation Minor issue with takedown lever

I've got a brand new PPQ 9mm M1 Classic. I disassembled and cleaned it, took it shooting saturday, brought it home to clean it, pulled the take down lever down, the thing comes off the pin it's attached to and into my hand, and the pin that locks the tab into the mechanism that secures the slide fell right out of the hole in the gun. Now it wasn't a big problem, just had to take a tiny allen key, hook the steel loop inside a space that is covered by the take down tab where the pin goes through, push it down so the slide would sit in place correctly, then pushed the pin back in and re-seated the plastic lever over the two ends of the pin... not a big deal, but should the pin holding the takedown lever have such small diameter that it just falls out of the gun when the tab is off and it's sideways and gravity can take hold? Anybody else experience this? Is it just a fluke of new gun and it shouldn't happen again kind of thing? As a post script of sorts, the roll pin holding the back strap was so tight, I almost had to take a mallet to it to get it moving the first time, but this pin was the exact opposite... fell right out!

Last edited by ricdawg77; 01-08-2017 at 07:29 AM.
ricdawg77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 01-08-2017, 07:54 AM   #2
Supporting Member

olsoul .22
No from your description I'd say a call to Ft Smith is in order. Something is out of spec and the weapon needs to be sent back to them for evaluation and possible replacement of parts or whole weapon.

Call don't email!
Mailing Address: Walther Arms, Inc.
7700 Chad Colley Blvd
Fort Smith, AR 72916 Phone: (479) 242-8500 (USA)
Mon-Fri 8:00 AM-5:00 PM Central Time

Last edited by olsoul; 01-08-2017 at 07:57 AM.
olsoul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 08:54 AM   #3

ricdawg77 .22
Thanks for the info, good to see there are a few other early risers on Sunday.

Just FYI: Since re-seating the take down tab, I've been able to take down the gun and re-assemble with no problems. I THINK maybe while shooting the pin that goes through the gun and holds the tab at each end moved or was knocked ajar from one of the holes in the take down tab, so when I pulled down the take down tab, maybe the pin not being through one of the holes cause the entire tab to come off, and the pin then fell out as the gun was laying on a table. Another possibility is maybe the flex is so great in that plastic take down tab, maybe I pinched too low to the bottom of the tab too hard and it caused the top of the u-shaped tab to "flare" out and it slid off the pin on both sides, and then the pin fell out... or something along those lines.

Last edited by ricdawg77; 01-08-2017 at 09:29 AM.
Old 01-08-2017, 09:42 AM   #4
Supporting Member

olsoul .22
I've tried to replicate what happened to you with my Navy Q 9mm and my Q45 and just can't do it.

Make the call to Ft Smith. If they say it is jake then just keep an eye on it. I suspect they will send you a shipping label.

Once the take down is removed the roll pin will easily slide from the frame but the take down lever should be snug on the roll pin ends. Then is the issue that concerns me. I'd also check that the barrel lock spring is correctly seated or even in the weapon at all. Check that the teeth on the take down catch point to the back of the frame too. I'm not sure that could be an issue but who knows?

As to early riser...I was up to do my morning 2 mile run at 0500...(37F with a strong wind so not a lot off fun)...any day I'm not under water at dawn I run. I like to get in about 6 miles a day in two or three sessions. Gotta get up early to fit in all my Walther fun as well...

Let us know what Ft Smith says.

Last edited by olsoul; 01-08-2017 at 10:04 AM.
olsoul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 10:04 AM   #5
Supporting Member

imaoldfart .22
Me thinks when the assembler assembled the take down lever, he/she didn't ensure that both ends of the pin were in both holes on either side of the take down lever. If that were the case, then heck yeah, the first time someone pushed down on the take down lever, it'd probably come off.

And since YOU reassembled it correctly, you're good to go......problem fixed.
Old 01-08-2017, 10:26 AM   #6

ricdawg77 .22
Thanks again, I'll call them first thing Monday.
Old 01-08-2017, 10:39 AM   #7

ricdawg77 .22
I think there maybe something to what old fart says. I did take it down once to clean it before I took it out on Saturday. I will give the boys in AR a call and let them know about it though.

Last edited by ricdawg77; 01-09-2017 at 08:59 AM.
Old 01-08-2017, 11:14 AM   #8

ricdawg77 .22
In reply to olsoul's new edits in his post, I looked at my tekmat with the exploded ppq parts and I made sure to seat the take down tab the right way, but I didn't notice if it was correctly positioned from the factory before it came off in my hand. As to the barrel lock spring, I located the part on the mat and on the gun and it seems to be operational. It worked for 300 rounds yesterday.
Old 01-08-2017, 11:30 AM   #9
Supporting Member

imaoldfart .22
Hey, forget the mat....download this pdf http://www.carl-walther.de/public/do...79_58_33_i.pdf

And, if you haven't already, you might want to also download the PPQ M2 owners manual. I much prefer the pdf to a paper copy.
http://www.waltherarms.com/wp-conten...Series-USA.pdf

Last edited by imaoldfart; 01-08-2017 at 11:38 AM.
imaoldfart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 11:38 AM   #10

ricdawg77 .22
Thanks oldfart, I downloaded that the first time you mentioned it, the mat was just an easier reference since it's on the table in front of me . On a somewhat associated note, I see two slightly different ways of taking down the Q on the Tube; some people (like me) just pull the tab down and the slide pops forward a little, but some pull the slide back a hair and THEN pull down the tab. I tried that last method on one of the takedown/re-assembles when I was testing my fix this morning, and I might be crazy, but it seems easier to pull the tab down if you pull the slide back just a little, but who knows I probably just voided the warranty

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPQ