Minor issue with takedown lever - Page 2 - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPQ

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2017, 10:45 AM   #11
Supporting Member

imaoldfart .22
Nope, you're not crazy....you're right. Moving the slide back an rch simply takes the pressure off the slide stop pin, making it easier to push the take down lever down. Either way works and NOT pushing the slide to the rear just a little, will not, in any way, damage the pistol.

This reminds me of trying to remove the bolt from the rear 'frame' attach point of a 'leaf spring' on my old 52 Chevy. If you don't take the pressure off the spring, you'll have to hammer the bolt outta the hole. However if you jack up the rear of the car, you can almost push the bolt out with your finger. Same thing applies to the take down lever.
Old 01-08-2017, 11:45 AM   #12

ricdawg77 .22
Thanks for the confirmation, and should I run into a '52 Chevy with suspension problems, I now know who to call.
ricdawg77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 04:26 PM   #13

ricdawg77 .22
Question

I took another look at the barrel lock spring and the barrel lock face; when I take off the slide and push that lock face down at some point in the downward travel of the lock on the spring, it catches and stays down, if you gently push up on the take down tab the spring pops the barrel lock back up. Is that how your barrel lock spring on the PPQ functions, or does it spring right back up if you were to push down on the barrel spring from above, or does it "lock" down once you push it down?

Old 01-08-2017, 04:40 PM   #14
Supporting Member

imaoldfart .22
ricdawg77...you just made me grab a PPQ from a holster, beside my recliner, remove magazine, rack slide to eject chambered round, eyeball empty chamber, remove slide and fiddle with the takedown catch. With slide removed, I can push the takedown catch 'down' and it'll pop right back up every time.

Since you're already had the takedown catch off before, I'd have to suggest taking it off again. Then you can use your finger to push down the barrel lock which will take any pressure off the pin and allow you to remove the pin. Now you can remove the barrel lock and spring and check for any burrs on/in the hole or on the barrel lock. Also ensure the spring was installed correctly (perpendicular) ...... clean, lube, reinstall and check er' again. That puppy should go up and down without catching.
Old 01-08-2017, 04:41 PM   #15
Supporting Member

olsoul .22
I just broke down my Q45 and checked. My barrel lock will not stay down no matter what I try...are you sure the spring is properly seated in both the frame and the barrel lock? That might cause the lock to bind.

olsoul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 04:41 PM   #16

Jacksinthe .22
Nope. Not normal.

Don't use the firearm for your safety and pick up the phone. Something is amiss.
Jacksinthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 04:53 PM   #17

ricdawg77 .22
My spring does have a "catch" to it, and it doesn't freely float up and down. I haven't taken it apart enough to check how the spring is situated, but that could be the problem, or maybe there's a bur in the cylinder that holds the spring, hard to tell, I was hoping it just need's a better lube job on that point. But I can report that if I pull on that take down tab it does NOT spring right back forward unless I just pull it down a little, but If I pull it down enough to release the slide, it will stay "stuck" in that down position until I give it a nudge.

Last edited by ricdawg77; 01-08-2017 at 04:57 PM.
Old 01-08-2017, 04:53 PM   #18

ricdawg77 .22
Thanks for all the info by the way. It's greatly appreciated.
Old 01-08-2017, 05:03 PM   #19
Supporting Member

olsoul .22
ric if the barrel lock isn't fully up the the roll pin will be extremely loose and if the take down lever comes off again it will be a repeat of last time.
It is all of about 30 seconds to check to see if it is seated properly or if there is a crimp in the spring or that burr you mentioned.

olsoul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 05:05 PM   #20

ricdawg77 .22
Question

On further, futher inspection, I CAN re-create the free moving spring, that pops back up with no "catch" by taking a little slack out of the trigger. So in other words, I pull the trigger to release the striker, then if you pull down on the take down catch it sticks, but if I put just a little pressure on the first "safety" trigger, the tab will spring up freely when you push down on it, no roughness, no catch. So what does that mean? Lube issue? Maybe a little fleck of something got down in the trigger assembly?

Last edited by ricdawg77; 01-08-2017 at 05:08 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPQ