WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPQ

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2017, 11:13 PM   #21

Jacksinthe .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by olsoul View Post
Sorry Jack but I couldn't disagree more....A quality RSA properly installed and broken in (if required and some do) will not alter the reliability of your weapon in the least.

In fact a number of our local TAC Team members use them in their carry weapons. As do I. I'd be more worried by a dud round.

Any weapon might fail to fire when needed. Hopefully your training will allow you to solve the issue.
Meanwhile we've seen posts on this very forum about people having issues with aftermarket rods that alter mechanical operation.

I've seen more posts across more gun boards about malfunctions caused by altering or modifying springs (anywhere) vs stock weapon issues.

That's just how it goes. Even moreso than the first-time basement gunsmith with a dremel (I believe simply due to being reserved about dremeling your own weapon over simply swapping a part)

You can very much alter characteristics of how a weapon functions and have it work flawlessly until the end of time but mechanical malfunctions always have a higher chance of happening when you do alter how the weapon was designed to function. Always.

Not every weapon is perfect from factory but I see a lot fewer OEM issues and far more aftermarket issues with firearms enough that I'll take a lower chance of malfunction when SHTF over a higher chance, even slight.

Mine are all "I need to depend on" weapons, so I will always choose the safest and best option even if it's only a fraction of a percent more reliable. That's just me though. I program physics so that fraction can mean a lot in simulation when you run it a zillion times Even though I program for video games, that does get boring after the ten thousandth jump and your 4th cup of coffee haha! Hoo boy can't wait until this project is done and I get to look at new code lol!

But yeah, I've seen enough to where I wouldn't bet my life on it if I needed to. Again, that's just me.
HALO51 likes this.
Jacksinthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 01-09-2017, 08:46 AM   #22

chandler5566 .22
Just an observation from an average long time gun owner. You're both correct!

Poor and even bad designs added to poor manufacturing and QA can lead to malfunctioning weapons and the same applies if and when an amateur makes mechanical alterations to an otherwise well functioning out of the box firearm. I made several mods on my new PPQ 45 and did in fact discover a mistake relating to the slide lock when reassembling....it was out of alignment due to the star shaped pin and that resulted in a failure of the slide to return to battery after firing a round.....the "nub" on the stop was elevated just enough to catch the slide as it started forward. Obviously that could have proven disasterous if I had not test fired before actually needing it in a defensive event. Testing and retesting is my solution but there are some who do not go the extra mile and could encounter serious failures.
chandler5566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 08:47 AM   #23
Supporting Member

olsoul .22
I never said anything about a Bubba dremel RSA. I said quality RSAs from quality companies. If you read the threads here carefully you'll find most of the poor performance reports came from folks who didn't bother to properly break in the system.

If, and it is an if I don't necessarily agree with, there is a slightly increased possibility of failure it is more then offset by the improved target reacquisition.

There are trade offs with everything. When push comes to shove I'll trade the extremely minute possibility of failure against three rounds in center mass under stress in about a second any time (or once in a while going old school, two in the heart, one in the head). Target reacquisition is critical in a combat situation.

My life and that of my family, friends and coworkers may depend on my weapon. I'm quite comfortable with the SprinCo set up in my life support system. I also know many tac team members who feel the same way and mount them in both on and off duty hand weapons.

You are most welcome to feeling the way you do and I'm not here to change your mind. Your blanket statement about the unreliability of these systems is what I object to. You do a disservice to those looking into these RSAs.

Besides as we all know...All blanket statements are wrong!...

olsoul is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2017, 10:02 AM   #24
Supporting Member

imaoldfart .22
Just a minute....where'd I put my blanket????? Heck, I run aftermarket rsa's in many of my pistols as well as trigger return and FPB springs imported from Denmark. I also run modified 'Beretta' 30 round mags in my PPQ's (for HD). I love to tinker and mod.

Last edited by imaoldfart; 01-09-2017 at 01:44 PM.
imaoldfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 01:16 PM   #25

Jacksinthe .22
Oh there's nothing wrong with running whatever anyone is comfortable with. And a blanket statement about aftermarket parts being less mechanically reliable than OEM does have its own set of stipulations. Even the type and manufacturer of ammo will have an effect on performance of a handgun. It might not be something you can readily feel if all stats are the same but using ammo X cause malfunctions like failing to go into battery from a short cycle 1/200 times vs ammo Y or Z which may function flawlessly.

In my mind if I can put ammo A-Z through my pistol without failure on OEM parts but suddenly a mod or alteration causes issues with ammo G and P - that's a problem. I'd rather have A-Z, personally. Even if I never even use ammo G or P. Never know when you will run into the unlikely situation of needing to use ammo G or P so I prefer the side of caution.

I mean I have a Gen 2 17 here and before it was taken to the range its first time it was modded to hell and back for comp. Close to 40k rounds between 2 shooters without issues. Then I've seen guns fail out of the box. The thing is - any time you alter mechanical operation you need to make sure everything else, including ammo, works for that setup.

It's not a disservice, it's a heads up to make sure you properly vet what you will use. There are pros and cons to everything and only slightly more cons in the modding department. Again, as I said, probably no more than a fraction of a percent quite literally but keeping it 99.9 isn't 100 when you need to count on 100.

Again, that's just my lens based on what I see. I don't like chances, even the super thin ones on something I need to depend on. Nothing wrong with it if other people do, but folks should be made aware that altering operation of a handgun can lead to undesired results. Trying to silence that or say it's a disservice is literally a disservice in itself. People should know.

Too many newbies to certain guns just think everything is roses and puppy dog tails and start their own basement gunsmithing to try to correct foundation issues like proper grip, trigger, etc by altering the mechanical characteristics of a firearm because they don't have enough time with a weapon. Hell I'm still coming to grips with the PPQ trigger break being so far back compared to what I've shot ad nauseum for years. That old muscle memory is a nuisance but I'm not looking to change the trigger because I need more time on the Q to get comfy because I have long fingers. Hell even with the large backstrap my fingers wrap around the gun and only expose about half inch for my support palm while my trigger finger extends past the trigger guard by a mile hahaha! I just need more time handling before I can get comfy slapping the trigger like my life depends on it and get tight groups and double taps again. I'm close, but another couple months my brain will be retrained.

Anyhow, I got off topic but you get what I mean. People should hear both sides of the argument before making a decision on altering operation. There is good and there is bad. It's on the user to think about both options and go from there.

Last edited by Jacksinthe; 01-09-2017 at 01:23 PM.
Jacksinthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 01:55 PM   #26

chandler5566 .22
OK, for the OP. Bill does have the PPQ 45 recoil spring/rod and the deal is the same as others......he will sell the full system which includes the factory spring or he will sell the rod only so if you have the tool you can transfer your factory spring onto his rod and finally you can send your spring and he will mount it to his rod. Price for the full system is $64.
Old 01-10-2017, 01:22 PM   #27
Supporting Member

olsoul .22
PPQ45 BT Guide Rods in stock!

Yup...Just got off the phone with Bill. He does have BT Guide Rods in stock and ready to ship. In fact he is shipping me one today.
Price out the door with shipping is $69.00.

I'll post a review after it arrives and I've run a couple of hundred rounds using it.

olsoul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 01:56 PM   #28

chandler5566 .22
[QUOTE=olsoul;689561] In fact he is shipping me one today.
Price out the door with shipping is $69.00.QUOTE]

Mine shipped yesterday but I also have to wait on Ft Smith to either ship a new barrel or return my original.
Old 01-10-2017, 01:58 PM   #29

safearm .22
I'm a little late to this discussion but I'm using the Stainless Steel Guide Rod, sold by Amazon, in my PPQ .45. Fits perfectly and no issues with function. BTW, I don't like plastic guide rods in ANY of my semi-auto pistols and replace them whenever I can. I have actually had two failures; one in a Glock .45 (G21) and one in a SW99 .45. Maybe it's just a .45 issue or maybe it's coincidence, but for whatever reason, it happened.
Old 01-10-2017, 02:53 PM   #30

Machria .22
Can somebody explain in layman's terms what a stainless guide rod does? Just the basics! I understand replacing it for fear of breaking the plastic one is one reason. Anything else?
Machria is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPQ