Metal Guide rods (and spring) which one? - Page 2 - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPQ

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2017, 09:13 AM   #11
Supporting Member

olsoul .22
Sorry Imperial I missed the fact that it was a Q45. I've been waiting on Alan at SprinCo to finish his Q45 set up for about a year now.

I don't know anything about the RSA being sold on Amazon. The others are quality products but I have no personal experience with them on the Q45.
ImperialBlade likes this.

olsoul is online now   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 01-08-2017, 09:46 AM   #12
Supporting Member

imaoldfart .22
Liveshots, are you using the 4" or 5" springs?

As it pertains to 'two piece guide rods'.....and I'm referring to PPQ not PPS, as I don't have a PPS. The BT guide rods are 'two piece'....using a specially machined screw on the end of the rod to retain the spring. Yes, BT offers a 'kit' to allow you to remove/reinstall this screw.

The SS guide rods are also 'two piece'.....using a screw with an allen head to retain the spring. They use 'red' Loctite on this screw and if you want to remove it, you're pretty much SOL. I tried and gave up for fear of damaging something in the process....YES, I used heat. If you want one of these rods without the Loctite, you'll need to contact them and ask for that. I did. Oh, and they use Wilson Combat flat wire springs too.

I've got DPM's and they actually have three springs......not for disassembly.

I've also got some Sprinco rsa's that I run in various PPQ calibers, including .357 sig.

I've not used a rod from zrtactical, but I have had dealings with him.....excellent guy. I may need to pick up one of his rods too.....as it seems that I've got about everyone's but his.

Yes, the Wilson Combat springs are certainly an alternative and provide for some customization in your recoil system. Longshots is the front runner on these.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-08-2017, 12:14 PM   #13

LiveShots .22
I've used the 5" Wilson flat wire springs with the SS Guide rod (I was able to remove the screw on that guide rod but it required me to lock the rod into a vice). The BT system looks better to me as that tool will make it easier to take down. I may get one to see if the 1911 springs will fit it.
LiveShots is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2017, 03:17 PM   #14

chandler5566 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImperialBlade View Post
I need some practical insight on the different metal guide rods that can be purchased to replace the standard plastic one on the Q45. Basically, which one works as designed (and hopefully as advertised)?
First question I have is.....what is your objective/reason for replacing the factory recoil system?

What I can say is that based on my thread Recoil Reduction Systems the recoil reduction systems are hit and miss at best with most responders indicating there is little effect or no difference compared to the factory system. The advertised recoil reduction system manufacturers have no objective evidence or measurememnts to support their claims and I received that comment from Sprinco as well.

That suggests that like many accessories/add on's you may need to purchase multiple recoil systems and still do no better than the factory system with the exception of replacing plastic rods with metal. I purchased a BT replacement for my PPS M2 because the plastic factory rod was designed/manufactured poorly so my choice was a switch to stainless since I was replacing anyway. The BT is manufactured slightly longer so it is held in place correctly and will not free fall when the pistol is disassembled or move out of place when reassembling. I have not replaced the system in my PPQ 45 because it is a solid and straight rod which remains in place under slight compression and the recoil/muzzle flip is very controllable.

Last edited by chandler5566; 01-08-2017 at 03:25 PM.
chandler5566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 03:50 PM   #15

ImperialBlade .22
Plastic Rods (guide rods) just seem...wrong

Hello Chandler,

Thanks for the input. I am not a fan of plastic guide rods, like I am not a fan of MIM parts in 1911s. While I am sure both if manufactured correctly and free from manufacturing defect perform admirable, it just something that rattles around in my head making me second guess them.

I am leaning toward a BT Guide Rod. Having said that, from their website I am unclear if they make them specifically for the Q 45.

If we desire to avoid insult, we must be able to repel it; if we desire to secure peace, one of the most powerful instruments of our rising prosperity, it must be known, that we are at all times ready for War.
George Washington

Last edited by ImperialBlade; 01-08-2017 at 06:42 PM.
ImperialBlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 04:02 PM   #16
Supporting Member

imaoldfart .22
I'm pretty sure BT makes a PPQ 45 guide rod. You might want to give ole Bill a call.
Old 01-08-2017, 04:19 PM   #17
Supporting Member

olsoul .22
fart is right BT does make a Q45 guide rod:

BT Guide Rod for PPQ 45.

Old 01-08-2017, 04:53 PM   #18

Jacksinthe .22
I use BT with factory spring.

I would HIGHLY advise against mechanical and operational changes to handguns unless they are only to be used in competition capacity. Then you can afford to change whatever you want when your life isn't on the line and you hear "click", or the slide won't go into battery, won't cycle, etc.

A steel guide rod will not alter the mechanical ability of the weapon, with aftermarket springs, spring strength, etc - will. No matter what anyone tells you or how many thousands of rounds they have through X recoil reduction system, they never know when it will fail to function properly.

Learn to hold the gun and slap the trigger like mad while hitting your target and you won't need a recoil reduction system.that largely doesn't work much anyhow.

Just my .02 on changing operation. There's a place for it and it's only if you never "need" that weapon when SHTF.
HALO51 likes this.
Jacksinthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 05:13 PM   #19
Supporting Member

olsoul .22
Sorry Jack but I couldn't disagree more....A quality RSA properly installed and broken in (if required and some do) will not alter the reliability of your weapon in the least.

In fact a number of our local TAC Team members use them in their carry weapons. As do I. I'd be more worried by a dud round.

Any weapon might fail to fire when needed. Hopefully your training will allow you to solve the issue.

Last edited by olsoul; 01-08-2017 at 07:25 PM.
Old 01-08-2017, 06:45 PM   #20

ImperialBlade .22
@olsole and @fart - thanks guys! I will give Bill a call at BT to see about one for the Q45!

If we desire to avoid insult, we must be able to repel it; if we desire to secure peace, one of the most powerful instruments of our rising prosperity, it must be known, that we are at all times ready for War.
George Washington
ImperialBlade is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPQ