PPQ M2 45 with Pitted Barrel - Walthers Response: It shouldn't cause issues - Page 31 - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPQ

Like Tree106Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2017, 11:54 AM   #301

chandler5566 .22
If you look at the price that Ft Smith gunsmith charged out for your replacement barrel (that should be a retail price) it would have to be a break even or better option for Umarex to make an immediate switch to heat treated barrels and shut down the nitride barrel usage.
chandler5566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 01-07-2017, 11:59 AM   #302

blackhillsken .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by chandler5566 View Post
If you look at the price that Ft Smith gunsmith charged out for your replacement barrel (that should be a retail price) it would have to be a break even or better option for Umarex to make an immediate switch to heat treated barrels and shut down the nitride barrel usage.
Agreed, but corporate contracts ( if they farm out the barrel treatment) sometimes mean inferior product keeps coming until the contract is up. Pulling a contract early due to quality control would be a long, sticky process.
blackhillsken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 12:27 PM   #303

chandler5566 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhillsken View Post
Pulling a contract early due to quality control would be a long, sticky process.
Without knowing how they write contracts the ones I have seen always had QA clauses which included the ability to cancel without penalty if the QA did not meet minimum requirements. The real question is whether they simply relied on rumor and conjecture re the nitride finish and are now stuck with a minimum quantity that must be purchased. Ft Smith keeps stating that everything is under their "Lifetime" Warranty....but that does not give me a warm feeling.

Old 01-09-2017, 10:08 AM   #304

englishteacher2000 .22
Just a quick response to a few earlier posts. Early on I had a 5-inch PPQ Match 9mm barrel that was flaking/pitting and Walther declined to replace, so I bought a Jarvis barrel. The Walther barrel shot fine, but was looking worse after each outing. So I figured I would try Jarvis. The rifling is traditional and the barrel slipped right into the pistol and shot great.

I now have over 900 rounds through it and it looks fine. It is capable of excellent accuracy. Yesterday, at 25 yards, hand held in ten degree weather with light snow, I put one shot in the 10 o'clock and three across the bottom, touching, in a one and a half inch red circle bullseye target.

Then, of course, I put the fifth shot way the heck off on the side.

My point is NOT that I am a good shot or that the grouping I shot was typical for me. Neither is true. The point is that the barrel is capable of excellent accuracy. If I were better, I imagine I could shoot great groups all the time.

I still have the original barrel so maybe I will try to send it in again and see if they change their minds given what seems to be a loosening up of policy regarding this issue.

Just a quick note on a Jarvis barrel for anyone thinking about them.
blackhillsken likes this.
englishteacher2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 10:52 AM   #305

chandler5566 .22
Exclamation

Quote:
I sent my PPQ 45 barrel in with minimal pitting as you could see in the photo but I wanted to establish a baseline condition for "proof" of continuing degradation if I send it in later after running more rounds through it.

Just got off phone with Ft Smith to get status on my PPQ 45 barrel. During discussion the CS stated that they have found a number of owners are using lead and not cleaning sufficiently. At that point I asked him what Ft Smith gunsmiths are recommending for cleaning the barrel. His response was brass brushing and HOPPES #9! That's is correct....and he stated that he has cleaned a number of the barrels and uses Hoppes in every case. Of course the main concern is getting an ammoniated product on the oxide treated outer surface but that still flys in the face of the owners manual. By the way.....they are waiting for a shipment of 45 barrels which he said should be this week.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:33 AM   #306

ioon44 .22
When I talked to Ft Smith last week about replacing my badly pitted Q 5 barrel they started in with the "found a number of owners are using lead and not cleaning sufficiently" line.

So I went back through the fact the my barrel was pitted when I got it new and got much worse after 300 rounds of factory FMJ ammo, no lead at all used in this barrel.

They agreed to replace it, looks like they received it on 1-06-17.
ioon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 02:38 PM   #307

chandler5566 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ioon44 View Post
They agreed to replace it, looks like they received it on 1-06-17.

That was mine they received on the 6th....yours' must have been misplaced!
Old 01-11-2017, 04:11 PM   #308
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
Quote:
... I asked him what Ft Smith gunsmiths are recommending for cleaning the barrel. His response was brass brushing and HOPPES #9! That's is correct....and he stated that he has cleaned a number of the barrels and uses Hoppes in every case. Of course the main concern is getting an ammoniated product on the oxide treated outer surface but that still flys in the face of the owners manual....
Any gun that is too tender for Hoppe's No. 9 is too woosie for me.

M
MGMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 04:59 PM   #309

chandler5566 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMike View Post
Any gun that is too tender for Hoppe's No. 9 is too woosie for me.
I agree. Checked Springfield XDs, Sig 220 and HK VP9 and none of those have an ammonia warning. Also, can't be certain but it appears that those same pistols do NOT have nitride barrels.....only found reference to the external protective coating on the HK.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:53 PM   #310

XRing .22
I talked with one of the Walther customer service representative about clarification of the ammonia warning in the Walther manual. My understanding is that Walther allows brief application of bore cleaners such as Hoppes 9. The warning is to not soak for very long times as the surface treatment can be damaged. This is ment to not mess up your "blue / melonite surface. Exterior of slide for example.
The subject pitting flaking of the barrel interior as described in this thread is probably a manufacturing error not intended to be addressed by the origional owners manual warning.
My two cents.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPQ