PPQ M2 45 with Pitted Barrel - Walthers Response: It shouldn't cause issues - Page 3 - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPQ

Like Tree106Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2016, 06:38 AM   #21

rooksd1 .22
It's surprising to me Walther would not just replace the barrel if it is functional or not customer satisfaction should be there goal. Having owned a retail business for 27 years I can tell you the cost of a barrel is not worth negative perception. This will cost them new customers no doubt.
rifleshooter474 likes this.
rooksd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 05-19-2016, 11:54 AM   #22

rifleshooter474 .22
I agree and am thinking the same, why would any firearm Mfg. not just replace a pitted bbl.

when they know the buying public is watching these firearm threads.

My feelings is it's because Walther in now in the United States, with their Mfg. so they are becoming hard nosed in regards to Warranty work.

As in other peoples unhappy contacts with Walther's customer service in the USA, this will be another big mistake on Walther's reputation as a quality firearm Mfg..
rifleshooter474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 01:49 AM   #23

PeterTheFish .22
Has everyone here seen a pic of a pitted barrel that I have missed? I'm sorry but I've seen plenty of folks new to firearms make similar spurious claims. I was reading one yesterday, I believe in the S&W forum, complaining of rust in the barrel of a brand new 460 Mag. It was copper fouling from the factory test rounds...1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PeterTheFish is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2016, 06:19 AM   #24

rototerrier .22
Not new to firearms. Own a safe full. Been shooting for 27+ years, including competition. The firearm has had several other sets of eyes on it and we've all seen the same thing and drawn the same conclusions. I'm not alone in my observations. I've got much better things to do with my time than fabricate a barrel defect and have to deal with Walther. If there were an aftermarket option, I would have already purchased it and moved on. I've been in contact with Jarvis, Inc and they have one in the works, but it's still too far out.

At this point, my only options are with Walther.

WALTHER PPQ pistols are warranted to be free from defects in material and workmanship. Any such defects of which WALTHER receives written notice by the original owner will be remedied by WALTHER without charge within a reasonable time after such notification anddelivery of the PPQ pistol as provided below.

Based on this warranty, the pistol is warranted to be free from defects in material. There's no indication of severity, so one can conclude it's all encompassing. So any argument that a defect "shouldn't" cause issues or that it isn't severe enough to warrant remediation is irrelevant. Any and all defects must be remedied, no matter the size or severity.

If they want to pick and choose the defects they want to remedy, they should change their warranty to specify those exclusion.

I've updated the original posting to specifically point out the trouble "spots". Whether you call it pitting, flaking, scaling, or just crud. It's not normal and it covers the entire barrel.

I expect all my barrels to be a smooth, mirror finish. And, with the exception of this one, they all are.

The flash hides it. But it does focus and capture a good section of it and I've boxed it in and pointed it out. You'll have to use your imagination to paint the rest of the barrel in those blemishes.

Spikey2 likes this.

Last edited by rototerrier; 05-20-2016 at 06:37 AM.
rototerrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 06:55 AM   #25

MacCool .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by rototerrier View Post
I expect all my barrels to be a smooth, mirror finish. And, with the exception of this one, they all are.
I don't know if that's an unreasonable expectation or not, but it doesn't matter. In the customer's perception, there's an issue. He's unhappy. A company that was dedicated to customer service and satisfied customers would have just shrugged and replaced the barrel. Why is that a big deal? Walther's approach to this, unfortunately, speak volumes about their concept of customer service.
KY_Rob likes this.
MacCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 08:07 AM   #26

catabol3 .22
It's still hard to see anything from that picture, does it look anything like this?

http://www.waltherforums.com/forum/a...l-wear-ppq.png
catabol3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 10:23 AM   #27

rototerrier .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by catabol3 View Post
It's still hard to see anything from that picture, does it look anything like this?

http://www.waltherforums.com/forum/a...l-wear-ppq.png
Yes, but not that bad...yet. Mine matches that light patch on the left side. Looks like this is where mine is headed. That's wonderful.
Old 05-20-2016, 11:13 AM   #28

balance .22
I suggest going over their heads, and getting in contact with Walther in Germany. They've been helpful to members here in the past. Explain the issue, and the lack of help from Walther Arms.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe these PPQ45 barrels are the first barrels Walther has ever made with polygonal rifling. They may have run into some issue here, but it looks like very few have been effected, and this is the first one I've heard of in the US.
balance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 11:15 AM   #29

rototerrier .22
I might do that.

I also opened a BBB case against them. Will take several weeks for that to play out. If I am unable to get anywhere with that, I'll take this into advisement.
Old 05-20-2016, 11:29 AM   #30

catabol3 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by rototerrier View Post
Yes, but not that bad...yet. Mine matches that light patch on the left side. Looks like this is where mine is headed. That's wonderful.
That's why I asked earlier if it looked like pitting or peeling. If it's peeling then I would think Walther would replace it. How long is Walther's warranty?
catabol3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPQ