Walther Forums banner

Walther guy was here today

3K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  searcher451 
#1 · (Edited)
Walther was in town today to let people play with some of their more popular guns. Since I've never shot a P99 I went there to send some round through it and play with the trigger. Behold, two PPQ45 showed up but no P99c. Below are my experiences from shooting PPQ45 as well as things I heard from the Factory Rep.

PPQ45

My first time shooting .45, so I don't have a clue as to how it compare to other .45 out there.
Good: Feel like the regular PPQ 9mm, slightly more recoil than 9MM, easy to be accurate, relatively light.
Bad: I shot 2 magazines (24 rounds) and had at least 2 Failure to Feed. A person who was there with me also shot two magazines and had 2 to 3 Failure to Feed. The culprit could be the ammo, which I have no clue what brand/make as magazines were loaded for participants, but Failure to Feed did occur.

Things the Rep told me
Below are paraphrasing of what the Rep told me during our conversation:

1. M2's sales volume is way greater than M1, 10:1, that's why PPQ45 comes out with M2 first. If Walther sales a ton of PPQ45 M2 then they might consider doing a M1.

2. Rep heard nothing from Walther Germany if they are working on PPQc. Walther Germany usually doesn't reveal a product to their counterparts until they are done with the development. So even if it's in the pipeline, it won't show up in the next two years. The Rep personally loves the idea of a compact PPQ and is pushing for the PPQc to come to fruition.

[and when I told the Rep that I hope PPQc comes out become HK's VP9sk, he said:]

3. HK VP9sk already exists, not sure why they release P30sk first.

4. PPS could use a design update, though he hasn't heard any news of an update.

5. P99 will still be around but PPQ is the flagship and the driving force going forward.

That's it, check out PPQ45 when it hits your LGS! :)

Attachments

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
WOW. That must have been sweet. :cool:

So how well did you shoot the PPQ45 compared to the P99 AS and how you typically shoot your PPQ?

4. PPS could use a design update, though he hasn't heard any news of an update.
Was that his opinion or did he reflect what Walther management was thinking?? I could imagine that they may want to go to push button magazine release version of the PPS since they are competing with the Shield and Glock 43 in that ultra hot segment.

3. HK VP9sk already exists, not sure why they release P30sk first.
LOL. I wonder where they got this information from? HK is notoriously tight lipped about such though. BIG IF this is true could be HK was concerned that the HK VP9SK would destroy chances of selling many P30SK if released first.

#7 ·
WOW. That must have been sweet. :cool:

So how well did you shoot the PPQ45 compared to the P99 AS and how you typically shoot your PPQ?
This is my first time shooting .45, so I can't really make a good assessment of the PPQ45's accuracy. I'm more accurate with 9MM variants.

Was that his opinion or did he reflect what Walther management was thinking?? I could imagine that they may want to go to push button magazine release version of the PPS since they are competing with the Shield and Glock 43 in that ultra hot segment.
It's his personal opinion.

LOL. I wonder where they got this information from? HK is notoriously tight lipped about such though. BIG IF this is true could be HK was concerned that the HK VP9SK would destroy chances of selling many P30SK if released first.
I was surprised to hear it as well, but I didn't feel appropriate to push him further and qualify his statement.

This was quite fun, I hope more companies do road shows like this!

#5 · (Edited)
At the Texas Firearms Festival last November I asked the Walther rep if they were planning to make a PPQ 45. He said it was unlikely and if anything a 10mm was more likely.

Clearly Walther DE doesn't inform Walther USA until very late in the product process :) I'd love to see a PPQc and/or the PPS updated with a PPQ-like grip.

PPS21: did the Walther rep mention if they will make a threaded barrel for the PPQ 45?

#9 ·
PPS21: did the Walther rep mention if they will make a threaded barrel for the PPQ 45?
Sorry, I didn't ask them about that. Here's what's new though, he said they are shipping the gun out next month.

I recall there was an article earlier this year that hinted there will be some new Walther announcement at the Texas Firearms Festival, I hope we see a PPQc and/or PPQ single stack.

#6 ·
Hey PPS21, is that a PPQ .45 on the far right (5th picture) with the supressor? I noticed a new rear sight and got excited? Or is that your personal firearm? Thanks.

#10 ·
They'll redesign the grip of the PPS, and give it a button??

No thanks. It's perfect as is.

Not so sure I'd want a single stack PPQ...kinda defeats the purpose. It is, after all, more for duty than for out and out ease of concealment...that's what the PPS does well.

All I want to see is a paddle 45 PPQ. :)

#13 ·
I'm with balance.

I shot 2 magazines (24 rounds) and had at least 2 Failure to Feed. A person who was there with me also shot two magazines and had 2 to 3 Failure to Feed. The culprit could be the ammo ...
Ammo as a culprit? Maybe. But I would have made damn sure that the ammo I brought along for the day worked perfectly before I pulled that pistol out of its case and let some potential buyers take it for a test-drive. This does not inspire confidence. Just the opposite, in fact.

#14 ·
So that's 50/50 reliability.

The video, the guy shot two mags, with no problems, then this one, had some issues.

I'd be quick to suspect ammo. Surely, Walther has shot the hell out of the thing, or else you'd think so at least, since it's a new caliber on arguably their flagship pistol.

#15 ·
About that P30sk/VP9sk thing: I scooped up a P30sk because I like having a hammer fired gun in that size. Unless the VP9sk is a slim single stack, I won't be giving up my P30sk for it. Just 2 cents from an HK customer perspective.

The only update I think the PPS needs is to smooth out the edges on the front a little bit (does anyone actually use that accessory rail?) and maybe reduce the footprint of the trigger guard a hair.

#16 ·
Remember to follow Walther's Facebook page, they put up their event info on there, that's how I found out that they were coming. Perhaps we could interact with them and invite them to our cities. Walther could use some love from its supporter, as it's not easy selling Walthers in the USA since there are many strong competitors

For those who wants to keep track of reliability of PPQ45, there were two PPQ45 there that day, me and my friend shot different PPQ45.

Look forward to more great guns from our beloved Walther in the near future.

#18 ·
Perhaps we could interact with them and invite them to our cities. Walther could use some love from its supporter, as it's not easy selling Walthers in the USA since there are many strong competitors
Walther Arms has been invited to the last two Annual Walther Forums Greet and Shoots in Port St Lucie, Florida held in May.

I plan to invite them to our 3rd Annual event (which will be May 15th 2016) as well. It would be great to have some 45s there....

#17 ·
We are more than happy to participate in demonstrations if the opportunity presents itself. In reading some concerns on functionality. I would ask that readers always take into consideration the fact that each person is different, and their approach to shooting is unique. Some malfunctions may occur if the shooter doesn't have a great deal of range or trigger time. Shooting style and ammunition can be a factors, but every Walther goes through rigorous testing protocol to ensure relentless reliability. I personally participated in the testing for the new PPQ45 and am quite confident in its performance.

Everett Deger
Director of Marketing
Walther Arms Inc.

#19 ·
In reading some concerns on functionality. I would ask that readers always take into consideration the fact that each person is different, and their approach to shooting is unique. Some malfunctions may occur if the shooter doesn't have a great deal of range or trigger time. Shooting style and ammunition can be a factors, but every Walther goes through rigorous testing protocol to ensure relentless reliability.
And yet, many of the newer Umarex-based pistols have a history of problems that have yet to be fully rectified, if they are still on the market, or that killed them in the marketplace ... problems that can't be written off with limp-wristing or non-compatible ammo suggestions. The P22 started the trend, and more than a decade later, it remains problematic, with cracked slides merely a starting point. The SP22 (foud models), the G22, the PK380, the CCP ... all have had, and continue to have, issues in design and/or the build process. Even the PPS (with the slide stop issue) caused a great deal of concern for Walther fans before it was eventually rectified.

The folks on this forum are here because they believe in the Walther name and want to see Walther succeed in the marketplace, both in the USA and around the world. But based on some of the products we've seen in recent years that fly the Walther banner, I sometimes wonder whether the current owners have the same vision.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.