TruGlo TFX Review - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPQ

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2015, 02:06 PM   #1

Orlandoech .22
TruGlo TFX Review

I've recently been privileged to provide a review for the TruGlo TFX TG13WA1A Night Sights for the Walther PPQ. My entire review is below with pictures attached.

-----------------------
QUICK OVERVIEW
-----------------------

When I purchased my Walther PPQ I didn't find many choices for quality Night Sights. The only thing readily available at the time were Trijicon HD Night Sights but having
owned and used TruGlo sights in the past (mainly TFOs) I knew the TFXs for the PPQ were what I wanted. The Swiss tritium/fiber optic technology is simply amazing. The sights are bright in virtually all conditions, whether in the day or extreme low-light conditions. The front sights white focus lock ring really does grab your focus and allows you to quickly acquire your target. The rear sight has black retention rings to help assist in fast acquisition as well. The notch in the rear sight is nice and tight with minimal light escaping on the edges.

The TruGlo TFXs (TG13WA1A) for the Walther PPQ are easy to use for holstering, which is critical to me, they fit great in my holster with no issues on drawing or holstering my PPQ. I leave my PPQ on my night stand when I go to bed, and when I look over, I see three bright green dots, like a gremlin is staring at me in my sleep. They are bright enough they actually illuminate my wall some.

I own a Glock 23 which has the TruGlo TFO night sights and while they are awesome, the TFXs definitely are better due to the TFO technology, their build, construction, brightness, and the front sights white fast focus lock ring, which DOES make a difference. The TruGlo TFOs will be the night sights I recommend to anyone with ease, even over other brands.

-----------------------
OUT OF THE BOX
-----------------------

Out of the package, there was the front sight with the white focus ring, the rear sight with black retention rings, allen wrench to adjust rear sight tension, and two hex screws for the front sight (one marked for Glocks). While there are no instructions included you don't really need them if you have any experience with installing sights on firearms.

-----------------------
RANGE TIME
-----------------------

I was able to get to both an indoor and outdoor range in the last few weeks to go out and test these sights in real time.

INDOOR: The time I spent in the indoor range was great. The sights maintain their brightness with no issues or signs or dimming. The Swiss tritium/fiber optic technology shows its strengths indoors with being able to stay bright, while just a tradition FO sight needs natural sunlight to stay bright. I was very pleased.

OUTDOOR: During my time outdoors, again, the Swiss tritium/fiber optic technology is phenomenal. Very bright, the white focus ring is awesome in both conditions. Very pleased.

-----------------------
COMBAT STYLE SIGHTING
-----------------------

The TruGlo TFX for Walther PPQ (TG13WA1A), like all of TruGlo sights are designed for a “combat” POI result at 25-yards. This may be an issue for those who are looking to keep the POA & POI the same as their stock sights, but I promise the adjustment is small and well worth the TFO technology.

*See Attached "Combat Sight Picture.jpg"

-----------------------
TRUGLO TFX SPECS
-----------------------

SPECS PROVIDED BY OLSOUL - THANKS!

FRONT SIGHT
- 0.150" width
- 0.200" height (not including base)
- 0.860" length

REAR SIGHT
- 0.067" width
- 0.180" height (not including base)
- 0.860" length
- 0.170" notch

The whole rear sight is slightly elevated off the slide of the gun and that it is about 0.02"(0.3mm) (very hard to measure as the calipers don't fit). I had to use various pieces a paper to get close to the size...

-----------------------
INSTALLATION
-----------------------

While they're several ways to install iron sights for pistol firearms, the packaging does advise to use a Sight Pusher to avoid voiding the warranty on the sights. Installation was rather easy, took less than 20 minutes for me, once completed I used a boresight laser to ensure accuracy.

Note: Loctite was used for both front/rear sights.

-----------------------
FEATURES
-----------------------

- PATENTED TFO TECHNOLOGY: Patented TFO (Tritium / Fiber-Optic) technology encapsulated in a virtually indestructible configuration.

- VERSITILE CONDITIONS: Unmatched visibility in all shooting conditions 24/7, visible in daylight, low light, or no light conditions.

- SWISS TRITIUM: Utilizes the world’s best Swiss tritium for maximum brightness.

- SEALED DESIGN: Hermetically sealed TFX™ capsule provides maximum protection of Tritium and Fiber-Optic elements from oils, chemicals and cleaning solvents.

- ACQUISITION & VISIBILITY: The white "Focus Lock" ring on front sight assists in low-light visibility and rapid target centering and acquisition. Black retention rings
on rear sight improve front sight acquisition.

- GLOW IN THE DARK: The combination of “glow-in-the-dark” Swiss Tritium plus Fiber-Optic elements provides unmatched brightness in ALL conditions. TFOŽ technology provides 24-hour visibility - NO BATTERIES required.

-----------------------
PROS
----------------------
-
- Tritium & Fiber Optic Design - FIRST & ONLY OF ITS KIND!
- Impervious to oils, chemicals, cleaning solvents and ultra-sonic cleaning processes
- Swiss Tritium, very bright in day or night!
- Glow in the dark, last and last, even without daylight
- The white focus lock ring allows for fast target acquisition
- Very Robust/Durable Build Quality
- Easy Install w/ Sight Pusher
- Warranty, 12 Years!
- Amazing Customer Support!

-----------------------
CONS
-----------------------

- Price

-----------------------
DISCLOSURE
-----------------------

I was supplied a sample for test and evaluation, and I promised that my review is fair and honest with no bias.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TFX Packaging - Sights.jpg (1.19 MB, 213 views)
File Type: jpg Installed.jpg (890.9 KB, 296 views)
File Type: jpg Targets.jpg (1.43 MB, 223 views)
File Type: jpg Combat Sight Picture.jpg (102.4 KB, 274 views)
imaoldfart and tricky like this.
  • Glock 19 Gen 4
  • Glock 17 Gen 4
  • Glock 23 Gen 4
  • H&K VP9
  • S&W M&P 9mm
  • Ruger SP101 .357 3"
  • Remington R1 1911
  • S&W M&P 15 Sport AR15

Last edited by Orlandoech; 07-21-2015 at 06:57 PM.
Orlandoech is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 07-21-2015, 03:34 PM   #2

84BravoJ8 .22
I too bought a set of the TruGlo TFX for my PPQ and had them installed by my Gunsmith.

The Fiber optic is tremendously efficient out side but inside I find the so called Swiss tritium a bit lacking compared to the Meps on my two P99C's and my full sized P99.

I had planned to put the TruGlo TFX sights on my three P99 series pistols also but have decided otherwise because of the indoor difference in brightness between the installed Meps and the dimmer TruGlo TFX.

The TruGlo TFX price point at $ 170. along with the fact that the TruGlo TFX cover part of the decocker on the P99's and the fact that my Meps are much brighter to me, killed the idea of replacing the Meps on my P99s for the TruGlo TFX.

I am happy with the TruGlo TFX sights on my PPQ, they shoot nice and look great, but because of their indoor light strength they are not the best solution for me! I will keep them on my PPQ, but do not CCW the PPQ like I do the P99C.

However, if you want a FO/Tritium sight for you PPQ they are really the only solution at this time, but I will not be putting them on my P99's!

Last edited by 84BravoJ8; 07-21-2015 at 03:37 PM.
84BravoJ8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 04:05 PM   #3

Mildot22 .22
Afternoon 84BravoJ8

Any idea on how high & how wide your Meps front sight is?

I usually only run front night sights but need a slightly higher front sight on my PPQ-m2.

Last edited by Milspec; 08-09-2015 at 11:34 AM. Reason: Bandwidth
Mildot22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2015, 04:07 PM   #4

Mildot22 .22
Afternoon Orlandoech

Same question for you -- any idea on how high & how wider your front sight is?
Mildot22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 05:40 PM   #5
Supporting Member

olsoul .22
Mild...
I posted those measurements in my review of the TFX a couple of weeks ago I think they are also in the FAQ section

PPQ/P99 Sight sizes and part numbers list

You can see the sight install on this thread:

TruGlo TFX Install and First Impressions

Last edited by olsoul; 07-21-2015 at 05:45 PM.
olsoul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 05:59 PM   #6

Orlandoech .22
Per Olsoul

------
Front sight: 0.86"(21.9mm) long, 0.15"(3.9mm)wide, 0.20"(5.3mm) tall not including base

Rear sight: 0.86" (21.9mm) long, 0.67"(17.0mm) wide, 0.18"(4.6mm) tall at rear of sight not including base, 0.16"(4.1mm) at the front of the rear sight..so a very small downward slope but that could be a measurement issue...

notch: 0.17"(4.3mm) wide

The whole rear sight is slightly elevated off the slide and that it is about 0.02"(0.3mm) very hard to measure as the calipers don't fit. I had to use various pieces a paper to get close to the size...
  • Glock 19 Gen 4
  • Glock 17 Gen 4
  • Glock 23 Gen 4
  • H&K VP9
  • S&W M&P 9mm
  • Ruger SP101 .357 3"
  • Remington R1 1911
  • S&W M&P 15 Sport AR15
Old 07-21-2015, 06:06 PM   #7

84BravoJ8 .22
Mildott22,

Be sure to check out olsoul's wrie up about the TruGlo TFX being made for a Combat Sight picture.
84BravoJ8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 06:06 PM   #8

rbdjr .22
Ok so with these TFX sight in the rear of a PPQ M2, you just don't push the pin down and slide the new sight in, you must use a sight pusher ? Sorry as good as your review was I missed that
S&W PC Shield 9mm, CT Light/Green Laser
S&W 44mag 629 8"
Beretta 22 pistol
T/C Contender 30-30 scoped 10"
Dan Wesson 357 3 barrels
few of my favorites
NRA Life Member, NRA RSO
" It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something."
F.D.R.
rbdjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 06:14 PM   #9
Supporting Member

imaoldfart .22
Sounds like you got it to me.......
Old 07-21-2015, 06:24 PM   #10

Orlandoech .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbdjr View Post
Ok so with these TFX sight in the rear of a PPQ M2, you just don't push the pin down and slide the new sight in, you must use a sight pusher ? Sorry as good as your review was I missed that
Hey, no you're ok! Per their instructions, to avoid voiding your warranty, they want you to use a sight pusher. There are other ways to install them however, like buying a triangle file and filing down the rear slightly until it will push into the slide with less tension using a rubber mallet and nylon push tool.

What the rear sight is in place (to where you want it, I hope at a true zero) you then tighten the screw in the rear slide.

Ive also updated my thread and added a picture of the COMBAT SIGHT aiming.
  • Glock 19 Gen 4
  • Glock 17 Gen 4
  • Glock 23 Gen 4
  • H&K VP9
  • S&W M&P 9mm
  • Ruger SP101 .357 3"
  • Remington R1 1911
  • S&W M&P 15 Sport AR15

Last edited by Orlandoech; 07-21-2015 at 06:32 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPQ

Search tags for this page
hd sights for ppq.45

ppq tfx review

tfx pro review

tru glo tfx pro ppq

truglo tfx pro for walther ppq m2

truglo tfx pro review

truglo tfx pro reviews

truglo tfx pro walther ppq

truglo tfx walther ppq

walther p99 tfx night sight

walther ppq truglo sights

walther ppq truglo tfo front sight only

Click on a term to search for related topics.