Walther Forums banner

Dawson Precision

20K views 118 replies 27 participants last post by  GreenandGold 
#1 ·
#14 ·
My PPQ M2 5" is now 5 days old and the first thing I have done to it is change the sights over to the Dawsons. I ordered both the .100 and .125 width front sights and already like the .125 better. POI/POA is insane! I have found my new weapon for IDPA SSP and can hit the magazine release with the large backstrap installed.

My dad has a '40s P38 and we were comparing the pistols over the weekend. I new one day I would own a Walther product!:D

Thanks for having this forum(s),
Bob

#17 ·
I'm using the .180T/.125W red f/o front and .210T/.125N black rear. At 25 yards, I cover up the "A" zone with the red f/o and bingo, hits the A zone. I was so tickled with the first 5 shots, I had to do it again and again and again........! 124g 9mm ammo at 1100fps. Good juju!!!;)

Bob

#20 ·
I run a .100 front and an all black .125 rear on my 4" PPQ. Exceptionally easy to hit long distant IPSC mini poppers. My good friend @olsoul shipped them to me. i am very pleased with them.

#21 ·
How easy are these to install?

Any special tools needed like many other sights?

Seems like the rear might be easy but the front I'm not so sure.

Looking to buy a PPQ in the next month and I'm looking at upgrading at some point to these Dawson sights.

Thanks

#22 · (Edited)
Dawson includes the tool necessary for installing the front and a nylon-tipped punch for the rear. You'll need an 0.050" Allen wrench to remove the Walther front sight and the stock rear sight comes off without tools. Then a hammer to drift in the rear sight and you're done. I just installed a Dawson front sight on my PPQ and it took all of two minutes.

Also, feel free to mix and match. Many have Dawson fronts with 10-8 rears. I'm using Dawson front with factory rear sights.

Attachments

#23 · (Edited by Moderator)
Dawson includes the tool necessary for installing the front and a nylon-tipped punch for the rear. ...
Awesome!

Glad to know all I will need is an allen wrench and a hammer and I'm good to go!

I do like that front Dawson with stock rear.

What model Dawson is that? .125, .100 or .090"? (my guess from the pic is the 100)

So the front just has an allen on the bottom side of the site through the slide that can removed from inside the slide itself? then once the allen nut is removed the sight will just come right off?

#24 ·
My photo above is .125 width front on a 5" PPQ. There'll be a tad less gap on a 4" PPQ. The factory front sight is plastic and uses a setscrew to wedge itself into a hole cut in the slide. Just back out the setscrew and push the sight off with your finger.

Aftermarket metal sights all use a flathead screw (hex or slotted) so remember to put a dab of Loctite on those threads when installing.

#25 ·
Awesome!!!

Anyone have any suggestions on what front width to use with a 4"?

Seems most run the .100" .... anyone suggest the 125 over the 100?

Pics available would also be great

From Dawsons website the .100 looks best to me ... a little air around it is nice but not much .... the 125 may fill it in to much.

FYI ... I will be using this only for range target shooting is all.

Thanks again for the info

#27 ·
Do most of you prefer less air around the front sight for basic range target shooting in the 5-20yd. range?

If I get this PPQ I may run the stock year like in the pic above and the front Dawson sight.

I hate to buy both ... I may just go with the .125 since the above pic from Cross has a lot of space on both sides and it;s a 5" .... the 4" may be just perfect with a .125".

I would think a .100" would look like Cross's pic on a 4" ... and I think that may be too much space.

What Do You Guys Think? What Do You Prefer???

Thanks

#28 ·
I'm using my 5" in IDPA and I have found using other guns with the same DP setup there is too much room with the .100w front. I have been running the .125w front sight for 2 years and find I'm more accurate, especially at longer ranges, with the wider FS. But that is what works for me! The other question is what height is the other fellow's FS? It would be good to know what works with the stock rear (for everyone). Also the DP rear I chose has less gap in the rear sight. This is what DP recommends for longer distance target shooting mated with the .125. YMMV.

My first match with the 5" is tomorrow so I can give a little feedback over the weekend.

Take care,
Bob

#29 ·
Typically, less air gap between front and rear gives more precision at less speed. However, the wider the front post, the higher the likelihood of obscuring the target at longer ranges.

For static target shooting, I think a narrow front and rear would be ideal. For speed shooting, the front width depends on range and size of typical targets while the rear will be as wide as possible without compromising too much precision.

All that being said, it's a very subjective issue. The standard recommendation I've read is .125 front and .140 rear, then adjust from there.

#30 ·
I think it depends on what kind of shooting you are doing.

Typically, for bulls eye, and precise shooting, a wider .125 front sight seems to be the preference. In a practical shooting competition, generally a narrower front sight is preferred, because it the extra air helps for faster target acquisition.

When I was running the PPQ in competition, I had better transitions when I went from the wider front sight to the .100 front sight, and that's something I've found in talking to most competitive shooters, narrower is better when you trying to shoot faster. Pictured above is the .100 front, and .125 rear, which again, for competitive practical shooting is common, with some shooters preferring an even smaller .90 front.

I think for most shooters, it's going to be a question of how you are using then gun, and what you like. No real wrong answer, but you'll find certain set-up's are more conducive for certain activities.

#31 ·
Mine will be 99% of weekend warrior range shooting indoors and some outdoors at most often 5-10 yards. Some with be up to 20yds. for outside.

Looking for more of front sight for precise shooting and bullseye hitting in the 3-10/15yd. range.

#32 ·
For bullseye type target shooting, you want the front sight to almost fill the notch presented by the rear. It provides more precision, which is important in that type of shooting. As Sundevil points out, that set up would be less appropriate for action shooting sports.

I shoot bullseye casually (VERY casually), and I use my 5" PPQ with the stock sights, and I also use a Buckmark Target 5.5 that has target sights. It's simply easier to line up the sights on the Buckmark, because the front very nearly fills the rear notch, with just a sliver of light on either side. If you see light on both sides, you're pretty much lined up (side-to-side).

With the PPQ, on the other hand, you have to judge whether the large swath of light on the left is the same width as the large swath of light on the right. It's not impossible, it just harder.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.