Walther Forums banner

Why is my PPQ M2 40 so dirty after 250rds

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Rgeliske 
#1 ·
Like i mention above!! why is my PPQ M2 40 so damn dirty after 250 rds? This is my second time at the range in last 2 weeks with the new PPQ 40 as well as the second time cleaning it. Fyi, i have 500 rds total on my new PPQ 40.

As far as ammo goes, all i use are Winchesters white box 165 grain, Federal white box 165 grain, Federal American Eagle 180 grain and Herter's 180 grain.

Also i would like to mention that i have used pretty much the same ammo on my 9mm PPX & PPQ M1 9mm and never had so much dirty build up after a session at the range.

#3 ·
I have to clean the feed ramp mid-session on my PPQ 9mm when using WB. I don't like the filler they use either. I switched to Speer Lawman recently for practice (I carry Gold Dot). Haven't used it yet, hoping it shoots cleaner than WB. I really like that Winchester 9mm 124gr NATO stuff, but damn, that stuff shoots dirty.

#5 ·
I doubt it's to much lube cause like i mention before i never had this issue with my ppx in a 9mm. Could it be im using heavier ammo than the 115 grain that i have been using with the 9mm

#8 · (Edited)
But why don't i have this issue with my 9mm just in the 40?

#11 ·
I agree. The 40S&W is an entirely different beast, heavier bullet, higher velocity, and more than likely the manufacturer is using different powder for the 40. Modern gun powder does not explode. Once ignited it burns progressively down the barrel creating back pressure which forces the bullet forward. The heavier bullet takes more force to get it moving. Some of that back pressure is also used to drive the slide rearward and some of the residue goes with it. In addition manufacturers will use a different powder to achieve the desired velocity different powders may generate more residue. If you are going to shoot WWB get used to more cleaning, its just the way it is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.