WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPQ

Like Tree204Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2014, 08:36 AM   #11

Barbarian .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjm9877 View Post
I have shot 4 matches with my PPQ & been the range a few times. I don't see this ever being an issue. The mag release sticks out less than a Glock does. Is anyone else having this issue?
Actually it sticks up more than the Glock. The Glock Gen 4 is even with the grip. The Gen 3 is very small and even with the grip. Turn the pistols sideways and look at them. The PPQ grip is slightly indented before the mag release. The S&W M&P has a protrusion from its grip that protects the button.
Slowly press on the mag release your PPQ and see if it will stick halfway in. If it will then you may have a problem one day with the unintentional mag release. Now press on the Glock mag release and see if it will stick like this. It will not - the magazine drops.
I also shot mine at the range without a problem. Not really a test of usage. I also shot mine at several matches without a problem. Takes time and a lot of shooting for the problem to surface. You don't want that problem to suddenly surface in a dire situation.
If you are happy then don't bother to replace the springs continue to shoot and see if the problem surfaces. Good luck.
Barbarian is online now   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 04-16-2014, 09:16 AM   #12
CAR

CAR .22
My thumb does not come anywhere near the release button when I am gripping my PPQ, but I do agree the spring should be a bit stiffer to prevent accidental release.
CAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 09:53 AM   #13

0311 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAR View Post
My thumb does not come anywhere near the release button when I am gripping my PPQ, but I do agree the spring should be a bit stiffer to prevent accidental release.
Same here, I'm just more concerned, that as as my CCW, something else my push the button in and aid in a accidental release.
0311 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-16-2014, 10:09 AM   #14
cfr

cfr .22
A few of us here have had this issue, I'm one of them.

My thumb doesn't hit the button, the base of my thumb does -- really could be considered my hand as opposed to my thumb.

Yes, I've had trainers watch me shoot. Yes, my grip is fine.

I'm a lefty, and I simply switched the button to the side for a righty, and use my middle finger. I'd considered doing this anyway so all my pistols are set up the same. I may try a better spring, but really I'm good either way.

Yes, I also had an M1. They're really the way to go, but I like all my pistols to have the same setup. If that doesn't matter to you, great.

If you are right handed, I'd strongly recommend renting one and running a couple hundred rounds through before purchasing.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:10 AM   #15
cfr

cfr .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbarian View Post
My apologies. Wrong link posted I was trying to post this link:
Wolff Kit #1607 : MINIATURE COIL SPRING PAK - KIT #1607 | Brownells
I appreciate it!
Old 04-16-2014, 11:53 AM   #16

0311 .22
My spring set just came in, there were about 6 springs that fit the bill (3x2 of the same), of varying spring weights. I chose the lightest of the three options that got the job done, and its about 1lb heavier than stock.
The spring kit is surely worth the cost if this is a firearm you rely on. Glad I did it.
0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 11:59 AM   #17

Barbarian .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by balance View Post
What does "up above the grip" mean in this context?

I've handled an M2, and I thought the button was placed in a pretty good spot. I haven't shot an M2 yet though.

Mag springs are an issue as well?

I may have missed the answers to these questions before but, do you shoot with a thumbs-forward grip? What holster are you using to carry this pistol?

I'm going to have to suggest that you switch to another platform if you are having this many issues with these pistols. If the issue really is as bad as you are saying, then I hope Walther gets to the bottom of it, but I have to admit that I'm wondering why we haven't heard of more reports of this from others who have bought an M2.

If I may, I'd suggest you start a thread over at the "Handguns Semi-Auto" section of m4carbine.net to see if anyone there has had these same issues with the M2. If I recall correctly, I've read some reviews from guys on that forum about how they ran the PPQ M2 through training classes.
You have not shot the M 2 at all? I am merely reporting what has happened to me and how I propose to solve it. Apparently some others have had this same problem and changed the magazine release spring for the button.
The grip has nothing to do with the issue. I have shot a host of button release pistols with my grip - high thumb forward ( google Travis Haley teaches grip on you tube) and never in many years had an accidental magazine release. The issue is the springs.
The holster is a Kramer leather type holster I have carried other button release pistols in without any problems. The holster is not issue either. I am not carrying my PPQ, as my EDC, in this same holster with the stronger springs installed and intend to do so for quite awhile. I do not expect another unintentional magazine release. So far no problems with the holster.
I am not having many issues with the pistol, as you suggest, I am having one issue the unintentional magazine release. Which I think I have solved thanks to one of the posters here who suggested the spring kit from Brownells. If this problem, should re occur, which I highly doubt it will, while I am testing the solution then you bet I will make a swift switch back to my time tested, grip reduced Glock.
I think the National Sales Manager for Walther is looking into the issue and has said he will speak to the pistol's designer. As to whether Walther will do anything who can say.
I believe Walther now has 80,000 M 2's in the market and articles on the PPQ are just starting to appear in magazines on it. I read a few. So it is a fairly new pistol and probably not in wide circulation. 80,000 compared to Glock, S&W M&P's, and some others is not a lot. In fact I would venture to say there are very few of these pistols at matches. The large gun store I frequent only has two M 2's on display and one M-1 as compared to about 20 Glocks, 20 M&Ps and even far more FN pistols ( FNX and FNS). Kind of hard to find the Walthers.
Also you need to consider most folks buy a pistol and either shoot in six or seven times or occasionally shoot it at a range ( a pretty sterile environment) and put it in a drawer. They do not shoot matches, carry the pistol daily, or run it through pistol courses. It is not in frequent use. So the market place has to be fairly large before problems surface.
Last the only course that I have read about the PPQ being shot in was a poster, who posted some time ago, about his M 1 in the course.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:48 PM   #18

balance .22
Quote:
You have not shot the M 2 at all?
I haven't. I've only handled one at a local shop. Nobody I know owns one, and I haven't seen a reason to buy one yet, given that my M1 works for me and with mag interchangeability with my P99.

I believe a range nearby may have one for rent (I think I saw one in there), but before this issue was brought up, I never saw a reason to rent it since it would basically be the same thing as my M1, just with a different mag release.

Quote:
I am merely reporting what has happened to me and how I propose to solve it.
I know, and I'm not getting on you at all about it. I'm just trying to get to the bottom of this. I'm sure a lot of M2 owners appreciate you putting this out there so that they can be aware of it.

This isn't good news for the M2. If the magazine is prone to being unintentionally released, I wouldn't trust the pistol until the problem was fixed.
balance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 02:41 PM   #19

twistedlim .22
Just a thought.

I have not had any unintentional mag releases but I guess it will only take one for me to make some adjustments. The spring is a quick and easy option. I am thinking there may be another option for those who have access to an extra plunger button. Why not bevel the button about midway towards the slide of the gun requiring you to engage the button by pushing the bottom of it. There seems to be plenty of material there. check out the image in the insruction manual page 30.
http://cdn1.waltherarms.com/wp-conte...Series-USA.pdf

I have tried to do a bit of photoshop of what I am talking about, note I HAVE NOT DONE THIS TO MY GUN... (yet)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 5 640.jpg (50.3 KB, 150 views)
File Type: jpg photo 6 640.jpg (50.9 KB, 140 views)
twistedlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 03:44 PM   #20

Barbarian .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by balance View Post
I haven't. I've only handled one at a local shop. Nobody I know owns one, and I haven't seen a reason to buy one yet, given that my M1 works for me and with mag interchangeability with my P99.

I believe a range nearby may have one for rent (I think I saw one in there), but before this issue was brought up, I never saw a reason to rent it since it would basically be the same thing as my M1, just with a different mag release.

I know, and I'm not getting on you at all about it. I'm just trying to get to the bottom of this. I'm sure a lot of M2 owners appreciate you putting this out there so that they can be aware of it.

This isn't good news for the M2. If the magazine is prone to being unintentionally released, I wouldn't trust the pistol until the problem was fixed.
The M 2 is too fine a pistol to be abandoned. Even when I was having issues the unintentional magazine release it went along with me on range visits. Invariable I would put up what other pistols I brought and take it out and start shooting it. Stronger magazine release springs I believe will fix the problem. It is an easy fix for those who want to use it. I am still testing it that solution and so far so good.
I also have an M 1. Like it very much. Like the fact that the magazines fit my P 99 also. Wish that were the case with the M 2.
I simply like the M 2 a hair better than my M 1. Using either release does not bother me. The paddle release is somewhat faster to use, I will admit.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPQ

Search tags for this page

magazine falls out of walther's ppq

ppq m2 magazine spring upgrade
ppq m2pistols for sale

ppq magazine release

problems reversing magazine release ppx

walther ppq

walther ppq m2 mag release

walther ppq m2 magazine release

walther ppq mag release

walther ppq magazine release

walther ppq problems

walther ppx stronger spring for mag release

Click on a term to search for related topics.