WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPQ

Like Tree44Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2013, 08:06 PM   #21
Supporting Member

olsoul .22
Talking Installation Report

To say I approached this project with trepidation would be an understatement! And I do appreciate all the advice, help and support the forum members gave me. Walther customer service also went above and beyond in giving me support.

As there was no way I was going to try and tap out the sight, I splurged on a P500 sight pusher....I'll give away the ending by saying it is worth every penny.

After field stripping my Navy Q I used the flat bladed screw driver from my Swiss Army knife to remove the front sight. My install might be a bit different so I'll explain. I put a dollop of blue loctite on a plastic card. I then put the screw in the slot of the slide, holding it fast with my finger. I took a toothpick and applied loctite to the threads which stick up through the slide. I then threaded the front sight down on the screw (about 3 or 4 turns). I pushed the front slight into the slot, turned the slide over and tightened down the screw...easy as anything.

I then inserted the slide in the P500 making sure the rear sight was aligned with the pusher. I tightened the slide down and adjusted the pusher height to the sight. By the way the P500 is extremely over built and has inserts which make it extremely hard to mar your weapon.

you can see this pusher is no flimsy piece of metal.

I decided to follow the advice of the Walther instructions and the Walther smith and push the sight out from right to left

I did this very slowly but it slid right out without much effort (although I could not have done it without the allen wrench).

I started the new sight from the left side and angled down into the channel to take advantage of the bowed groove. It took me a few minutes but I just used my fingers to start it. I then pushed the sight in about 3 turns, backed off the pusher and readjusted it, three more turns and readjusted again, by this time the rear sight had passed the start of the bow and the compression roll pin had cleared the slide and the sight was parallel to the slide. About 25 more turns and the sight was installed!

I fine tuned the sight a bit but will take the pusher to the range in case I need more adjustments.

I'm rather pleased with the outcome and proud to have done the job myself! I doubt the whole job took 45 minutes but it seemed like 2 hours.

Again to all of you, my thanks! And yes, this job can be done at home with the proper tools!

Last edited by olsoul; 08-18-2013 at 05:43 AM.
olsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 08-17-2013, 08:24 PM   #22
Supporting Member

imaoldfart .22
Good job Olsoul......you're a bigger man than me. Really happy it worked out for ya.....and yeah, using the right tools is always a plus.
olsoul likes this.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:34 PM   #23

PeterTheFish .22
Thanks!!! I've been putting off buying a sight pusher but this is going to push me over the edge. OEM night sights on my PPS coming up!!!
PeterTheFish is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 08-17-2013, 09:35 PM   #24

balance .22
Good job, and welcome to the club.

That sight pusher looks like it was made to be used commercially. It does look overbuilt.
balance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 05:07 PM   #25
Supporting Member

olsoul .22
Thanks balance....I'm still marveling at the job...
I'm swamped with student divers but hope to get to the range Wednesday or Thursday to see if I need more adjustments...I eye balled it in fairly well if I do say so myself...but proof is in the putting.

Sure glad I don't push sights for a living.

Old 08-18-2013, 06:44 PM   #26

skeeter149 .22
damnit i really dont wanna spend the 130ish to change a under warranty night sight. looks like i gotta send the slide to walther, i just wish they didnt make me pay for shipping. ruger covers the shipping on warranty.
shadeogray likes this.
skeeter149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 02:03 PM   #27
Supporting Member

olsoul .22
Here is my first magazine with the Navy Q after the new sights were installed...I rested the grip on a 4 lb soft dive weight as I couldn't get hold of a real rest to use....I shot this mag at 25 feet....I was going to go to 15 if there were problems but I think this is close enough for government work:

I shot at various distances from 15 to 75 feet today....the sights seem just fine.

pani and SteveL like this.

Old 08-22-2013, 02:17 PM   #28

Noodles .22
Good job. I did the same thing with a way worse tool. That tool I recently just broke trying to push some M&P stock shield sights out. So I need a new one anyhow.

I did like those sights on my FE just fine, but I'm still searching for the white buffalo.
Noodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 02:43 PM   #29

balance .22
Quote:
I'm swamped with student divers but hope to get to the range Wednesday or Thursday to see if I need more adjustments...I eye balled it in fairly well if I do say so myself...but proof is in the putting.
I attach a laser to the accessory rail when changing sights. Align the laser to the POA of the factory sights, then adjust the new sights to the POA of the laser afterwards.

I should have mentioned this earlier, but it slipped my mind. I haven't changed sights myself in a while.
balance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 06:50 PM   #30

fosser2 .22
So is a sight pusher the only way to install the Factory Night Sights? I am trying to get them to fit onto my PPQ M2 and the rear sight won't go on at all. Any thoughts? I would also like to know how these OEM night sights are wind adjustable. I can't figure that out yet either.

Lastly I would love to see what the top of the instructions say. Walther felt the need to cut the top off of my instructions...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2013-09-26 17.50.56.jpg (3.95 MB, 253 views)
File Type: jpg 2013-09-26 17.51.23.jpg (4.30 MB, 230 views)
File Type: jpg 2013-09-26 17.51.54.jpg (4.06 MB, 216 views)
File Type: jpg 2013-09-26 17.54.49.jpg (1.48 MB, 214 views)

Last edited by fosser2; 09-26-2013 at 06:57 PM.
fosser2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPQ

Search tags for this page
factory metal ppq sights
factory walther night sights
how to install night sights on ruger sr9c
is there anywhere that you can send a walther ppq m2 to have night sights installed
ppks night sights installation
ppq sight installation
trijicon night sight factory authorized installation

walther factory night sights

walther night sights installation

walther ppk night sights

walther ppq factory night sights

wiha 26547 precision nut driver, inch, 3/16 x 60mm

Click on a term to search for related topics.