WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPQ

Like Tree44Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2013, 10:04 AM   #11

PeterTheFish .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTheFish View Post
I believe there is a special tool used to compress the claw spring for install. If I recall a member here has one and may install them for you if you ask nicely and they are still around. Barring that you may want to ask Walther.

I will see if I can find the old thread and post here.
Thread was titled PPQ first edition sloppy night sight installation or something similar. Member is Uncut.
PeterTheFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 08-15-2013, 10:22 AM   #12

balance .22
If you decide to clamp the slide in a vice, I would strongly suggest that you don't tighten it too hard. There is a chance that you can bend the slide in the area where it is the thinnest/weakest, around the slide rail guides.

I had my gunsmith install the factory night sights on my PPQ. I don't know how he did it, but when asked how hard the install was afterwards, he stated that "it was no big deal".

The tool to compress the roll pin would make it easier to get the roll pin over the sharp edge on the recess where the spring loaded plunger sits. Remember to install the sight from the right-to-left direction. S&W did it the other way and screwed up the slides on a multitude of FE PPQ pistols.
balance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 11:56 AM   #13

Noodles .22
Do not put in a vise and tap it in. Either buy a sight pusher tool or send it to Walther.

I bought the pusher tool. Removed the same sights from my PPQ FE and put them on my PPS.

It wasn't hard, but the roll pin makes for a difficult go if you think you're going to tap it in. It should be drifted. And there is no compression tool that I know of, there is a sloped cut in the PPS and PPQ iirc that forces the pin as it goes in. Again, this works well with a pusher tool.

Personally.... I removed those very sights so I won't be much help here. They were fine for sight picture, but honestly I can't go back to stock style sights after using others. My current favorite is the Dawson black rear with red fiber front, watched my groups impressively shrink and they are a LOT faster for me. If 10-8 ever comes around I'll give them a try because of the U-notch, but I'll likely still try and roll fiber if I can. Maybe if the 10-8 works for height with the AmeriGlo I'll take one of those and mill it out to the correct notch size, but that's down the road at best.

But, these are fine sights all things considered. They're the smoothest and lowest profile I've seen yet. I have a metal non-NS set somewhere in my centerfire handgun box I'm sure.
Noodles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-15-2013, 01:01 PM   #14

SmokinSigs357 .22
OK...those look EXACTLY like the Meprolight 18802s that I installed in my PPS last night in 15 minutes.

Go to the PPS thread on here and check out my post and follow the directions accordingly.

I snapped the roll pin in using a towel and appropriately adjusted Channel-Locks.

Essentially, I took my slide, a brass punch, and some blue Loctite to my dad's house last night and put the slide in his wood vise. Tapped out the old rear site (after spraying some CLP on it and let it soak in for a couple of minutes) from left to right (shooting view) with the brass punch and a brad nail hammer.

Tapped new site in with dowel and framing hammer from right to left.

You do NOT need to put the slide in the vise tight AT ALL. It is basically just acting as a 3rd hand for you.

Super easy.

SIG P226 MK25 "Navy" 9mm
H&K USP 45 Compact Stainless
H&K VP9
Walther PPQ 'Classic'
Walther PPS
-all tragically lost in a boating accident....

Last edited by SmokinSigs357; 08-15-2013 at 01:03 PM.
SmokinSigs357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 03:25 PM   #15

balance .22
Quote:
OK...those look EXACTLY like the Meprolight 18802s that I installed in my PPS last night in 15 minutes.
Installing them on the PPS should be easier, since the PPS has a ramp on the right side to help slide the sight and roll pin in place.

On the P99 and PPQ, there is a 90 degree angle there that the roll pin has to move up and over.

The PPS doesn't have that hole for the spring loaded plunger that the 99-series pistols have.
olsoul likes this.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:09 PM   #16
Supporting Member

olsoul .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by balance View Post
Remember to install the sight from the right-to-left direction. S&W did it the other way and screwed up the slides on a multitude of FE PPQ pistols.
The instructions from Walther say just the opposite...(looking down at the top of the slide with the rear sight closest to you and the front pointing away from you)
1. <----- Remove rear Sight (from rt to left)
2. -----> Install new Sight (from left to rt)

I do have a P500 on the way and I'll post a report of exactly what I do plus images.

Until I get the sight pusher I'd be pleased to hear more ideas and suggestions!

Last edited by olsoul; 08-15-2013 at 07:12 PM.
olsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:34 PM   #17

jqunac .22
Couldn't find a gunsmith to install the Meps 18802 sights so I decided to charge ahead.

After fitting the rear sight to the slide by stoning it I used a small hammer and plastic punch to knock it in place. Little taps were a waste of time you have to whack it good.

Had to shorten the front screw a bit to tighten it up then used blue Loctite around the base where it meets the slide and the screw of course.

Sights look like the were made for the PPQ by matching the contour of slide and they are nice and bright. Glad that install is done it was rough without a vise.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0454.JPG (785.3 KB, 374 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0455.JPG (778.4 KB, 361 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0452.JPG (782.2 KB, 354 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0451.JPG (801.8 KB, 346 views)

Last edited by jqunac; 08-16-2013 at 08:15 PM.
jqunac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:44 AM   #18
Supporting Member

olsoul .22
A quick update...the P500 sight pusher arrives this afternoon...
I called Walther CS again yesterday and talked to Jason who got a smith. Apparently trying this without a pusher can be problematic.
I was also told it doesn't matter which direction it is done from as long as the sight and pusher have been properly aligned.

I am told because of the detent space and the "bow" of the groves of the sight channels it is actually easier to insert the sight from the left, the compression pin actually gets started in the sight cutout and then the "bow" presses it into the cutout to hold the sight in place...doing it from the other side may cause the compression pin to catch against the inside of the detent hole channel...

Anyway I'm going to be taking this very,very slowly and no more coffee for me today until this process is over! If I don't like the way things are going it is off to Walther!

I'll post images of the process.
PeterTheFish, pani and OU812 like this.

olsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:48 AM   #19

PeterTheFish .22
olsoul:

Looking forward to hearing how this goes. I have the factory night sights on my P99 and much prefer them to any of the aftermarket sights available, and the adjustable sights too for that matter.

Last edited by searcher451; 08-17-2013 at 12:33 PM. Reason: Bandwidth
PeterTheFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:59 AM   #20

balance .22
Quote:
The instructions from Walther say just the opposite...(looking down at the top of the slide with the rear sight closest to you and the front pointing away from you)
1. <----- Remove rear Sight (from rt to left)
2. -----> Install new Sight (from left to rt)
This is news to me. I heard the opposite, and on the PPS, it is done right-to-left as well.

Good luck and let us know how it works out.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPQ

Search tags for this page
factory metal ppq sights
factory walther night sights
how to install night sights on ruger sr9c
is there anywhere that you can send a walther ppq m2 to have night sights installed
ppks night sights installation
ppq sight installation
trijicon night sight factory authorized installation

walther factory night sights

walther night sights installation

walther ppk night sights

walther ppq factory night sights

wiha 26547 precision nut driver, inch, 3/16 x 60mm

Click on a term to search for related topics.