WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPQ

Like Tree53Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2013, 09:20 PM   #1

Defensor .22
A review for those on the fence on buying a Walther PPQ M2

Sponsored Links
If you are considering buying a Walther PPQ, this review may help you.

The first time I heard of the PPQ was through a friend who bought one of the First Editions, which came with a threaded barrel. He also bought a second barrel – a regular PPQ barrel. He was just gushing with enthusiasm over the PPQ. I had to try it for myself. After several months, we finally made it to the range, and I tried his PPQ. I was stunned! Great grip, great trigger, great balance…and it made me shoot well! It seems to immediately return to target after the recoil. I attributed this to the fantastic grip. I had given up hope of ever finding a high capacity mag pistol without a boxy grip. Now, I understand the enthusiasm! Here is a 15-round pistol with a perfect grip that fits my hand…and obviously, from its sudden popularity, fits a lot of people’s hands as well!

Alas, when I decided to get a PPQ, it was post-Newtown. There were no PPQs available. I was able to find the new PPQ M2 (a PPQ version with a magazine release button, instead of the trigger latch-type magazine release button of the original PPQ). I read that there is a PPQ M2 Navy that can fire under water or around water, built following the specifications of Special Forces units. And from this forum, I am reading about the 5” barrel PPQ coming soon.

I bought the Walther PPQ M2, and took it to my gun club (Fairfax Rod & Gun Club in Northern Virginia). We tried it on the falling plates range. My friends and I were amazed! We all shot the falling plates faster and more accurately with the Walther PPQ than the other high capacity magazine pistols that we had with us.

So, before I get carried away, let me go through a desktop review of the Walther PPQ M2 for the benefit of those who are sitting on the fence about buying this pistol

The Walther PPQ is approximately the same size as a Glock 19. It is almost exactly the same size as an H&K P30. So, this is a good duty, concealed carry, home defense and car gun. It is not a pocket pistol. It is a medium-sized handgun that requires a belt holster.

The Walther PPQ M2 comes in this black pistol box, with a blue Walther Logo. The box is important to me because I try to store my pistols in their original box. The PPQ M2 box was similar to the way the SIG pistol boxes open - by sliding the latches to the sides. I like this design better than most pistol boxes. There are some that just destroys my fingernails.

Inside the box are the following components: The PPQ pistol, two 15-round magazines and three grip modules (small, medium, large). It comes with the medium grip module attached. It also comes with a speed reloader, a gun lock and the Users Manual. Out of the box, the PPQ M2 is configured with the medium-size grip module. This fits my small hands perfectly and I shot very well with the medium. I will try the small grip module the next time we’re at the range. The three grip modules give the PPQ M2 the ability to adapt to hands of various sizes.

Also included is a paper target that was used by the QC tester at Walther.

Walther makes the PPQ in Germany. Like other German pistols (H&K and the German-made SIG-SAUER pistols), the Walther PPQ exudes that Teutonic precision engineering and craftsmanship. It is also a very attractive pistol. It is probably one of the most attractive polymer-framed pistols.

The first thing that you'd notice when you pick up a PPQ is how the grips feel in your hands. It feels fantastic! Having been used to Glock and Sig grips, this is just a cut above! Even the Gen 4 Glock with all its grip modules does not come close to the ergonomics of the PPQ grip. The only other high capacity mag pistol that feels like this is the H&K P30. The H&K P30 is also an excellent gun. The main diference between the two is that the Walther PPQ is striker-fired, while the H&K P30 is hammer-fired. The trigger of the striker-fired PPQ is smoother and crisper (for me) than the hammer-fired trigger of the H&K P30.

The advantage of a hammer-fired trigger over a striker-fired trigger is the second-strike capability. If the first strike of the firing pin does not work, a hammer-fired DA/SA trigger like the P30 can be pulled again for a second strike. Not so with striker-fired. You have to pull back a little on the slide to activate the mechanism for a second strike. How important is this? Opinions vary. But i take comfort in the fact that Glocks are striker-fired, and the police and military does not seem to have a problem with Glocks not having a second-strike capability of the firing pin.

Back to grip ergonomics Very few pistols have achieved such exceptional grip ergonomics. In my opinion, and the opinion of many shooters, the Colt 1911, Browning Hi-Power, Sig 225, Kahr K9, H&K P30 and the Walther PPQ achieved that. It is truly hard to believe that there are 15 rounds inside that very comfortable PPQ grip.

If you notice, the grip "stippling" is quite aesthetic. It looks more like "scrolling" than "stippling". It is pleasing to the eye. But most importantly, the PPQ grip just plain works! It keeps the pistol in the same position in my hand after the recoil, allowing a quick follow-up shot. A friend commented that the PPQ just seem to naturally come back to the target. I think it's because it does not shift in the hand, so it comes back to where it started before the recoil if you have employed the proper grip strength.

The next thing that you would definitely notice is the trigger. It looks like the trigger mechanism of the Glock…with an inside trigger within a trigger. See below. The PPQ trigger is smooth, crisp and light. It is a whole order of magnitude better than the Glock trigger. It was almost like a long 1911 Single-action trigger, although not quite like a well-tuned 1911. I dare say it is the best trigger of all the polymer-framed pistols in the market. On top of that, it has a very short reset, which allows for quicker follow up shots.

Since the trigger of the Walther PPQ is very light and crisp, I am very cautious in recommending this gun to people who are not familiar with firearms...unless, they commit to immediately getting safety and shooting training. This pistol has no external safety. If you press on the light and crisp trigger, it will always fire (if a bullet has been chambered). It is a great gun for those who will commit to the training, those who have had pistol training
and those who are experienced pistol shooters. You should always keep your finger off the trigger, until you intend to fire. This gun also needs a very good holster that can cover and protect the trigger area. The part of the holster that covers the trigger area must be stiff enough to prevent accidental trigger actuation. Be sure to pick a quality holster for this gun because the holster will serve as an extra margin of safety.

The Takedown button (below) is easy to manipulate. It takes down almost like a Glock. No special tools are needed to disassemble and assemble the pistol. Again, the superb design of this pistol comes through in the details. The Takedown Button is nice and flat.

The Slide Release latch is very similar to the H&K slide release latch. It is ambidextrous, and very easy to manipulate. Prominent enough that it can be manipulated under stress.

(This review continues in the following post)

By
DEFENSOR

DEFENSOR GUNLEATHER
Walter Forum: http://www.waltherforums.com/forum/defensor-gunleather/
Email: dennis@defensorgunleather.com
Phone: 703-409-8136

Last edited by Defensor; 06-04-2013 at 03:48 AM.
Defensor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:34 PM   #2
Supporting Member

imaoldfart .22
Very nice review.....thanks for taking the time. Looking forward to seeing your holster. If you need a 40 caliber aluminum holster gun, I think one of our members may have one that he might consider selling (for the right price).
Old 05-04-2013, 09:58 PM   #3
Super Moderator

searcher451 .22
That's a rock-solid review. Thanks for taking the time to share your research and findings ... nicely done.

Μολὼν λαβέ
searcher451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:08 PM   #4

Defensor .22
REVIEW Of WALTHER PPQ M2 - CONTINUED

On the PPQ M2, the magazine release is a button, just like the 1911. Most American shooters are used to this type of mag release button, and may prefer the PPQ M2. The mag release button can be switched for left-handed shooter. Again, note the aesthetics and functionality designed into the mag-release button. I would love to hear the story of the people who designed this gun. It works well and it looks great! Not many guns can claim that...beauty and functionality!

Those who are more familiar with the H&K magazine release latch will gravitate towards the original PPQ, which has that mechanism.

Either one works for me. But be aware that the Walther PPQ M2 has the 1911 style mag-release button. The original PPQ (is it now called the M1 then?) has a magazine release latch on the side of the trigger guard.

One of the most important features that made me shoot better is the Rear Sight of the PPQ. For my older eyes, it is truly a blessing. Here's why: The rear sight of the PPQ has a very generous gap, which allows me to better center the front sight, and hit more accurately. Most of my pistols do not have such a generous sight gap in the rear sight. i have always wished for one, and have even been tempted to file my rear sights to increase the gap (but prudence usually prevails). The three-dot sights are great. The wide sight gap in the rear sight is absolutely fantastic. My friend is in his early twenties, and his younger eyes also did well with the Walther PPQ sight. Kudos to Walther from those of us with aging eyes.

The 15-round magazines that come with the pistol are made of metal. Those who prefer metal magazines to polymer magazines will be pleased. It is a very well made magazine. Press the mag release and the magazine drops quickly and smoothly.

The night before we went to the range, I disassembled the PPQ to clean the "old" oil and then I lubed with the SLIP 2000. It's always a good idea to do this with new pistols, or even recently acquired used pistols. It takes out one variable that can cause malfunctions.

We used different types of 9mm ammo to the range. There was not a single malfunction of any sort, even if the people in our group had varying degrees of experience – a first time shooter, average shooters and experienced shooters. We shot over 200 rounds the first time, and zero malfunctions! The PPQ, or at least this pistol, did not require the obligatory break-in period. Impressive!

Overall, this is a terrific pistol. I had only one criticism – the slide serrations were not deep enough that it takes effort to rack the slide because of lack of enough traction. With sweaty hands, or bloody hands, this might present a problem. I’d like to hear from other shooters if they had the same experience with racking the slide.

Should you buy a Walther PPQ M2? I would highly recommend it! This is a fun and very effective gun. I believe that its superior grip, trigger, rear sights and balance will improve your shooting performance. It is an all-around medium sized, high capacity mag, polymer-framed pistol that will serve many purposes. Again, a reminder to those who are not experienced with firearms, get safety and shooting training if you have a Walther PPQ. That is the price you pay for the excellent smooth and crisp trigger of the PPQ. You will benefit from the training, and you will increase your margin of safety.

The Walther PPQ M2 is now one of my favorite high-capacity 9mm concealed-carry gun! How can one not like a gun that makes one shoot better? This gun will not linger in the safe. This gun will be fired a lot. I’m making a holster that’s custom-fitted for it, and I will definitely carry this gun. I’ll post a picture when it’s done.

DEFENSOR

DEFENSOR GUNLEATHER
Walter Forum: http://www.waltherforums.com/forum/defensor-gunleather/
Email: dennis@defensorgunleather.com
Phone: 703-409-8136

Last edited by Defensor; 06-04-2013 at 03:49 AM.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:27 PM   #5

Leftie .22
Great review Defensor!

I experienced the same bit of frustration with my PPQ's slide serrations; I found that it takes some getting used to to adequately grip the serrations with enough purchase to comfortably rack the slide. I attributed this to the angle of the slide rather than the depth of the serrations. It doesn't stop me from shooting it as much as I can though!
Defensor likes this.
Leftie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:33 PM   #6

rifleshooter474 .22
Have you shot your new PPQ M2?
rifleshooter474 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:36 PM   #7

Defensor .22
rifleshooter474,
Yes I did shoot the Walther PPQ M2. It performed exactly the same way as my friends PPQ (First Edition). We compared the trigger pull...exactly the same.

Now, if I can get my hands on the PPQ M2 Navy....
Old 05-04-2013, 11:06 PM   #8

Boogs .22
Excellent, extensive, and in-depth review.

Not sure about the the "high capacity" reference, but I know what you're saying.

Cheers to safe and happy shooting!
Old 05-05-2013, 08:00 AM   #9

Leftie .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensor View Post
rifleshooter474,
Yes I did shoot the Walther PPQ M2. It performed exactly the same way as my friends PPQ (First Edition). We compared the trigger pull...exactly the same.

Now, if I can get my hands on the PPQ M2 Navy....

Defensor,

I just checked Earl's and he has a PPQM1 Navy listed. I'm not sure if it's available though. Here's the link: Walther PPS

Earl's Repair Service is who the Smith and Wesson guys referred me to a while back for an extra barrel for my PPQ; he's fantastic to deal with and is an expert with Walthers.
Leftie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:33 AM   #10
DBS

DBS .22
Nice review--thank you.
DBS is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPQ

Search tags for this page
ppq m2
ppq m2 review
ppq review
walther ppq 9mm review

walther ppq m2

walther ppq m2 navy
walther ppq m2 navy review

walther ppq m2 review

walther ppq m2 reviews
walther ppq navy review

walther ppq review

walther ppq review 2013
Click on a term to search for related topics.