WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPQ

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2012, 02:56 PM   #1
Supporting Member

Fat_B23 .22
PPQ First Edition Availability?

Sponsored Links
I saw PPQ 1st editions for sale a while ago but I know nothing about them other than they had a threaded barrel and night sights. I'm assuming they were a limited run? Can you still purchase one or are used ones my only option? Was it a very limited run? Any idea if they might offer something like that in the future.

The reason I ask is the threaded barrel appeals to me in case I want to add a siliencer in the future and after reading various threads, I see threaded barrels cost a pretty penny.

I'm also assuming that the threaded part of the barrel messes with closed end holsters so holster selection would be even more limited. Am I right?

Thanks!
Fat_B23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 03:10 PM   #2

Boogs .22
I have little to no interest in purchasing a FE, NS, threaded barrel, and extended mag do not justify the added cost. I can purchase those components myself. Definitely a cool (and capable) collectors piece. BUT if YOUR main reason for wanting the PPQ is the threaded barrel, you can purchase it separately. Keep in mind the cost usually hovers around 1/3 to 1/2 the cost of just buying the FE altogether, if you can find one.
Boogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 03:31 PM   #3

KarlHungus .22
I for one disagree with the preceding assessment.

I, like the original inquirer, came late to the PPQ First Edition party. When they first hit, the prices appeared to be in the mid-high $600 range. Now that they are 99% in the hands of owners, the prices can be a bit more.

I paid $800 shipped for mine about 6 weeks ago. The math worked out, in my opinion. First, a new standard PPQ will run you somewhere around the low to mid $500 range, depending on the dealers near you and/or whether you can find a deal online. I like night sights on my pistols. That would have added approximately another $100 or so for sights. Throw in a few bucks for installation on top of that. So, now we're at the low to mid $600 range.

Next, I am someone that has a 9mm suppressor and intended to shoot the PPQ suppressed. A Jarvis threaded pistol barrel will run you $210.00 + shipping. So, if you have been following along with your math thinking caps on, you would see that by adding all of that stuff in, it already brings you to more than I paid for my PPQ First Edition.

Now, throw in my way of thinking that a Walther factory threaded barrel is a more desirable plus, you are even further ahead. Next, throw in the extended magazine and nicer hard case that came with the FE and you add more value to the mix.

Don't be dissuaded from buying a PPQ First Edition. There is a lot of value in the package and unless you were buying a used pistol and/ a used barrel, it is my opinion that you actually end up spending more by not buying the FE, if having a pistol with night sights and a threaded barrel is your goal.

Plus, dang it, you get to have a pistol that has the First Edition markings on it, which is just plain cool. It is very neat to have a three digit serial numbered weapon.

The toughest thing you are facing is finding a First Edition for sale.
KarlHungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 03:42 PM   #4

Boogs .22
I understand the justification on the initial cost in the $600s. Paying near $800 currently, if they're even available- to me, does not make sense outside of a collection factor.

The OP stated his primary draw was having a threaded barrel. If he already has a PPQ (possible if he's here), $200 for a threaded barrel vs $800 for a gun this is difficult to obtain, is a no contest.

The primary question at hand is not, "is the PPQ FE a good package?" It is..

1. How many/availability?

which is seemingly being asked because the OP wants a threaded barrel. Was just letting him know there are other options
Old 07-03-2012, 04:36 PM   #5

KarlHungus .22
I didn't say I bought it for a collection factor, nor did I say that the should OP buy it for collecting factors (the markings and numbering are just a cool bonus). I said I bought it and he should too because it represented the best value for a pistol with the features that I wanted and he appears to be seeking.

But since you persist in somehow presuming that I paid too much or that the OP would pay too much for a pistol with a threaded barrel (which the OP clearly said was a consideration) as reflected by your statement that paying near $800 current does not make sense, I ask you to show how it is that my math is somehow wrong.

Let's see:

Pistol, new (like yours - the standard version) - $500 to $550 actual retail, if lucky;
Night sights - $100.00 +or- $10.00 plus install (let's say cheap, maybe $10.00, shall we?);
Threaded barrel from Jarvis - $210+s&h ($10-$20, maybe?); and
Extended magazine - $45.00 or more;
Total=$865.00 (pre-tax and dealer fees)

My First Edition = All of that and the barrel is a factory threaded one for $800.00 all in.

Only after the math kicks butt, do I even have to get to the coolness factor.

Clearly this simple math makes sense to me, but of course, he can listen to you and build it all himself for more money, if that somehow makes sense. The only possible way he saves anything under the piecemeal approach is if he finds a good deal on a used pistol or starts omitting features found on the FE.

Golly, all this darn addition is wearing me out. Good luck to the OP. I stand by my belief that if you can find a First Edition for sale, buy it as a very cool best value. Yes, they were a limited run. The run is over. New in box ones can be found from time to time. Lightly used ones do come up. I saw one recently sell in Pittsburgh for around $675.00 Holsters are limited for the PPQ, but are being added all the time by holster makers. A closed end holster might well be a problem. There is talk of standard barrels from Walther becoming available at some time, but appear to not be out yet.

Last edited by KarlHungus; 07-03-2012 at 04:41 PM.
Old 07-03-2012, 04:46 PM   #6

bigbigpig .22
You're underestimating the threaded barrel a little. The Jarvis barrel for the PPQ is $210, but you have to add $10 for the extended length to thread, then another $57-$77 for threading depending on what thread pitch you want.

So the Jarvis barrel is actually either $277, $279, or $297 depending on your thread pitch choice. Then you pay x amount for shipping. That makes the First Edition an even better deal if you can find one.
bigbigpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 04:59 PM   #7

Boogs .22
There are far more directed comments at my posts, which seems to have struck a chord with you when I stated that to me personally, the FE is not currently worth what I would be willing to pay for it, personally.

On the opposing end, there are too few statements directly answering the question at hand.

Had I known stating my personal beliefs, about a pistol, towards a specific individual, on the Walther forum, would have resulted in paragraphs of math and another's opinion which is clearly aimed to alter my own-- I would have just made an ESPN account and argued why the team I root for is the best ever, would likely prove to be just as substantive.

You feel one way, I feel another and that's completely fine with me The world keeps spinning. No point initiating a verbal attack match, this isn't a court, it's a community. Most people are here to provide options, give opinions, and establish support for our fellow shooters. There are plenty of internet forums where these things are common, and I have been pleased it is nearly non-existant on WaltherForums, one of the few reasons I appreciate the people here, as well as their opinions, even if they conflict with my own.

I realize this post only perpetuations what is wrong with this thread, but I just wanted to inform you of your option to not get upset and adopt a seemingly smug attitude when someone posts something you disagree with.

In all your dissecting of this thread, Karl, you've drifted quite a bit from the whole purpose of it. I can help get us back on track, the entire reason for this was not to argue whether the FE is superior to the standard because it has threads and night sights, we all know the answer to that, the reason was to establish whether not the FE is available.

In other news, I found no PPQ FEs on gunbroker when searching, fatb
Old 07-03-2012, 05:20 PM   #8

bigbigpig .22
To the OP, the First Edition is very difficult to find... I've been unable to locate one. The reason I want one is the same as you, primarily for the threaded barrel. You have several options to get there though. You can:

1) Find a FE.

2) Buy a regular PPQ and have a shop like Tornado Tech or Adco put a threaded extension on your factory barrel. That costs about $150 IIRC.

3) Buy a regular PPQ and buy a barrel separately. Factory barrel is darn expensive, $395. Jarvis will be close to $300 after you pay for threading and shipping. But I was recently told (thank you boogs) that a P99 barrel will fit a PPQ, so you might be able to find a used P99 threaded barrel.

If I find anyone sitting on some FE's for sale I'll PM you!
bigbigpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 05:42 PM   #9

KarlHungus .22
Boogs,

When someone outright says that it does not make sense to buy an $800.00 pistol to someone who has bought that pistol, you come off as the offensive one at the outset. That is why you were told to "show your work/math", which has yet to occur.

Not addressing that and then playing hurt when the math is repeated tells me that either the position is not provable or defensible, which is the reason to shy away and to deflect with feigned upset, which is a technique that some defer to. I do not. My argument and defense of my buying a pistol that "does not make sense" to you is one that I would make in a family setting, an internet setting, or a face to face setting, simply because I am confident of it. There were no ad hominem personal hurtful attacks as you claim, which would have been to call you names or otherwise. You were simply called on your statements - that is all.

I did, you may note, address a number of the original questions in the close of my post.

I do admit one mistake though, clearly I grossly underestimated the cost I should have been using when referring to a Jarvis barrel, thus underestimating the cost of piecemealing a pistol together. The other barrel mentioned appears to be a more economical choice.
Old 07-03-2012, 05:49 PM   #10

Boogs .22
Suppose some math for the numbers fans and sake of argument are indeed necessary-- contribues to the OP question and decision anyway

Little word problem I've been working on since shooting my first pistol and realizing they could be suppressed..

Costs directly relating to purchasing and obtaining a suppressor + purpose and frequency of use = not worth buying a FE simply for the fact that it has a threaded barrel

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPQ

Search tags for this page
ppq 1st edition for sale
ppq fe

ppq first edition

ppq first edition for sale

walther ppq 1st edition
walther ppq 1st edition for sale
walther ppq availability

walther ppq first edition

walther ppq first edition for sale

walther ppq first edition in stock
walther ppq first edition price
walther ppq first edition sale
Click on a term to search for related topics.