WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPQ

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2012, 06:20 PM   #1

Blak1508 .22
X5l gen 2

Sponsored Links
In a very early thread, like when the ppq first came out I saw that someone had an X5l gen 2 on their PPQ , but I was wondering if anybody else has put one on and had any issues ?FTF? Or anything else that they can tell me. I am ordering one , or as I should say if I hear positive things about it I will order one. Just a note I have a 9mm. Any info will be great thanks

It is still a work in progress
Blak1508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 06:36 PM   #2

Blak1508 .22
Also if anyone has experience Witt the C5L I have also been looking at that one. For what I want the laser light combo for this actually might be better, I like that it does not stick out further then the end of the gun. Thanks again

Old 03-25-2012, 11:33 PM   #3

Dzach001 .22
I have the .40 S&W PPQ with the X5L Gen 2 on it, I've put about 300 rounds thru it with the light and haven't had any problems other than one time when the laser/light switched modes by itself, I'm assuming due to recoil.
Dzach001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 01:03 AM   #4

bzdog .22
I have a C5L and it is really nice but won't have my PPQ till next week. The C5L is really compact and the green laser really stands out. As a light the C5L is OK, but isn't going to compete with the full size lights. The beam pattern is flood. Fine for close up and indoors, but won't give you tons of range.

Note the button is on the side and is on/off but if you hold it down for a while, it will turn off when releases (momentary).[edit]

All in all I like it and would recommend it for a carry firearm because it is small enough to leave it on.

For a home defense gun, I'd probably look at something more like the Surefire X300 with the remote switch. But that is a ton bigger of course.

Oh, as an aside, it doesn't protrude on my HK P2000SK (compact), it really is a compact little unit.

-john

Last edited by bzdog; 03-27-2012 at 12:52 AM.
bzdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 01:13 AM   #5

Dzach001 .22
I'm not sure if the C5L is the same as the X5L in that if you hold the on/off button for more that 3/4 sec. than when you release it it turns off, thus acting as a momentary switch. I thought my X5L was only on/off until I sat down and played with all the settings, and strobe patterns.
Dzach001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 06:49 AM   #6

r00t61 .22
I think it was Wombat that had the X5L G2. I liked his review and it made stop and consider the Viridian for a light/laser combo.

I have half a mind to order the Surefire X400, Streamlight TLR-2, and the Viridian X5L from Opticsplanet, put them through their paces, and return the two that I don't like. I'd have to take the hit on the restock fee but I haven't yet found anyone doing a comprehensive review between the three.
r00t61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:20 AM   #7

TheWombat .22
I have both the X5L gen 2 and the C5L. Do a search on my posts and you should be able to find my reviews and photos. As mentioned in my review, the on/off switch acts as a momentary switch if you keep it pressed down. both the C5L and X5L Gen 2 have the same functions and 6 modes of operation. There's also a comparison photo of the X5Lg2 on the HK45 and the C5L on the PPQ I posted a few days ago.

The key differences are:
1. X5Lg2 is longer in size than the C5L and will therefore protrude past the muzzle of the PPQ and hence the light/laser lenses will get dirty from the powder residue much more quickly than the C5L will.
2. The X5Lg2 is brighter than the C5L. This is not an issue for standard use in houses etc. the advantage of the extra brightness of the X5Lg2 is if you shine it in an opponents eyes or you are outdoors and needing greater light penetration. I also carry a SureFire Fury 500 lumen flashlight with me. The Fury is amazing and I highly recommend getting one.
3. The C5L comes with 3 different fittings so will fit more firearms than the X5Lg2. This may be important if you have different firearms you want to switch it between.
4. The C5L has a smaller battery and needs a coin or similar to replace the battery. The X5Lg2 does not.

Overall for most users I would say the C5L is better for the PPQ due to being shorter in length, and then also buy a SureFire Fury.

Having just completed a LowLight level 1 and level 2 course at Gun For Hire I can say that the C5L works well on the PPQ with a few points to consider.

1. When shooting 2 handed I use my weak hand thumb to activate the light/laser
2. When shooting 1 handed, e.g. If injured or other reasons, I can just reach the activation switch with my trigger finger.... just!
3. The battery was drained after 2 low light courses. No surprise by this as you are unlikely to have the light/laser on for that length of time normally. If you device starts acting oddly it could mean the battery is drained.
4. Using the laser at night makes it very obvious for others to see where you are standing which can be an issue, I would generally recommend not using the laser if you are in a situation where you are able to use the sights.
5. The battery cap concerns I had with the C5L seem to be less of an issue after you have replaced the battery a couple of times. it is only the first time that the battery cap appears to be at high risk of cross-threading.
6. When shooting 1 handed with the PPQ, C5L switched off, a torch in my mouth (don't ask) and in the dark I had 5 failures (stovepipe, double feed) on one magazine. This was due to me limp-wristing so is a user issue rather than a specific issue with my PPQ. I have not checked yet whether the extra weight of the C5L is a benefit or a hindrance on 1 handed shooting. I would however recommend you practice one handed shooting yourselves.

HTH

TheWombat

Last edited by TheWombat; 03-26-2012 at 11:09 AM.
TheWombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 03:29 PM   #8

Blak1508 .22
So if I am reading this correctly they both have strobe effects? And I am not really worried about the brightness of the light becoming a factor so the c5 l sounds like a good choice . Thank you all for your imput ordering one now and I'll let you all know how it goes.

Old 03-26-2012, 03:57 PM   #9

Blak1508 .22
Wombat, can you take more picture of the PPQ with C5l for me ? I would be every so thankful. Also as I wrote earlier. Do they both have the same strobe /pulse moods. How good are they? This depends on my purchase. And thanks in advance for the pictures. I looked at your other post and saw the pictures but wanted more of more angles and maybe the light or the laser . Thank you again so much , you have helps very much thus far

Old 03-26-2012, 04:03 PM   #10

TheWombat .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blak1508 View Post
So if I am reading this correctly they both have strobe effects? And I am not really worried about the brightness of the light becoming a factor so the c5 l sounds like a good choice . Thank you all for your imput ordering one now and I'll let you all know how it goes.
Yes, both the C5L and X5L g2 have strobe. You can download the PDF version of the manual for both, probably worthwhile doing as you can see all the options they support. Use google or go to the Viridian website.

TheWombat
TheWombat is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPQ

Search tags for this page
surefire x400 vs viridian x5l
viridian laser x5l gen 2 review
viridian vs streamlight
viridian x5l gen 2
viridian x5l gen 2 problems

viridian x5l gen 2 review

viridian x5l gen 2 reviews

viridian x5l review

viridian x5l vs streamlight tlr-2
viridian x5l vs surefire x400
x5l gen 2 review
x5l review
Click on a term to search for related topics.