WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPQ

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2011, 11:42 PM   #1

99999 .22
Shooting the PPQ alongside the Glock 19

Sponsored Links
I shot my PPQ 9mm along side my Glock 19 Gen4 tonight, in very low lighting. I could see the target at 21 feet, but couldn't really see the shot locations while shooting. plus the blasts were blinding my vision anyway, so things were not all that clear. I had taken a business folder (like the kind you would stuff a proposal in), and opened it up and stapled it to the target, so I had two halves in front of me, and i aimed the PPQ at the middle of the left half, and the G19 at the middle of the right half.

Due to this, I had to just concentrate on how the gun's "felt" while shooting, as well as rely on muscle memory for my follow up shots. I shot some target FMJ ammo as well as some +P carry JHP ammo though both guns, one right after the other for comparison.

Initial impressions...

I'm going to do this again, and very soon. it was a BLAST

(recoil) At first I thought the Walther kicked a bit harder than the Glock, but after about 20 rounds through both, i couldn't really tell the difference anymore. I think what it really is, is just the rather drastic difference in HOW the two guns recoil. The Walther recoils much like an HK USP. To someone used to shooting a Glock with their very low profile recoil impluse, this will seem suprisingly different. I definatly felt the PPQ simmer down as I held on tighter to it. I think the rougher texture of the Gen4 Glock really helps in handling that gun.

After i got to the +P SD ammo, i decided that both guns were equally manageable, as with the more powerfull stuff, the PPQ seemed almost equal to the Glock with regards to the "kick".

(ejection) To me, you tell the quality of a gun by how well and consistantly it ejects the brass (HK is my gold standard)... this is where the Gen4 Glocks have really let me down. I have 4 of them now, and all three of the 9mm ones have been back to Glock for new parts and have very weak ejection. I could reach out my right hand and grab each one if i wanted to and some will hit my shoulder (althought this is better than hitting my head, like they did before i sent them back in).

The Wather was astonishing. It ejected about 15 feet to the back right of me extremely consistanly. just threw the brass with authority. Maybe too far, was such a difference from my Glock that it looked like the slide must have been moving twice as fast on the PPQ than the G19, even thought hat is obviously not the case.

(accuracy) Glocks are very accurate, I am tired of people who say that they are not. I can hit pretty much whatever i want to within 15 yards or so with any of my Glocks... when I can see clearly and i can concentrate on the sight picture. My first range session with the Walther proved pretty much the same thing, even though for some reason it just "felt" more accurate to me, sort of like shooting a quality 1911. Accuracy just comes easier with the better trigger for us mortals.

This is where I really got blown away. When i went to pull my make shift target off the wall at the end of my shooting fun, I got to see my targets clearly for the first time. And the group on the left was easily one fourth the size of the group on the right... and the difference was even greater than that. The PPQ's group looked almost like a square, no fliers, just a nice group. the Glock (which i had felt i probably had shot a bit better) produced a group much larger that was sparaticly all over the place with no form and many fliers...

Granted, i wasn't TRYING to shoot bullseye with this thing, the Glock's wild group was really what i expected out of both guns, as i was just sort of leasierly aiming towards the middle of blank page with no real aiming points and in low light. The PPQ's actual performance was unexpected and really impressed me.

Despite everything else, the PPQ was easier for me to shoot accurately, even if I wasn't concentrating on it. That has to mean some excellent ergonomics and an excellent trigger.

Now if i can just get Walther to replace/fix my messed up First Edition (see the sight/sloppy thread), all will be right with the world...

Last edited by 99999; 12-12-2011 at 11:47 PM.
99999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 01:23 AM   #2

AKrocks .22
Excellent post! Just purchased my PPQ on Saturday and intended to get out to the range yesterday, but we got dumped on (snow). I think the PPQ is a dream come true. It has the quality and ambi. features of my P30 with, from all indications, a much better trigger. That incredibly short reset blows my mind!
AKrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 07:11 AM   #3

BPman .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99999 View Post
...At first I thought the Walther kicked a bit harder than the Glock, but after about 20 rounds through both, i couldn't really tell the difference anymore. I think what it really is, is just the rather drastic difference in HOW the two guns recoil. The Walther recoils much like an HK USP. To someone used to shooting a Glock with their very low profile recoil impluse, this will seem suprisingly different. I definatly felt the PPQ simmer down as I held on tighter to it. I think the rougher texture of the Gen4 Glock really helps in handling that gun.

After i got to the +P SD ammo, i decided that both guns were equally manageable, as with the more powerfull stuff, the PPQ seemed almost equal to the Glock with regards to the "kick".

(ejection) To me, you tell the quality of a gun by how well and consistantly it ejects the brass (HK is my gold standard)... this is where the Gen4 Glocks have really let me down. I have 4 of them now, and all three of the 9mm ones have been back to Glock for new parts and have very weak ejection. I could reach out my right hand and grab each one if i wanted to and some will hit my shoulder (althought this is better than hitting my head, like they did before i sent them back in).

The Wather was astonishing. It ejected about 15 feet to the back right of me extremely consistanly. just threw the brass with authority. Maybe too far, was such a difference from my Glock that it looked like the slide must have been moving twice as fast on the PPQ than the G19, even thought hat is obviously not the case...

I agree on the recoil of the two different guns & have said as much months ago. They are totally different guns.

I will however digress on the point about Glock Gen4 ejections problems. IMO the problems are related to shooters using crappy Walmart ammo or bad grip techniques. If the Walther is throwing the brass farther then it means that it is not sprung as tight as the Glock and not that it is better "quality." The Gen4 9mm's have a dual recoil spring which IMO really dampens the +p+. However, quality cannot overcome physics. Glock has bowed to the range shooters who insist on using the crappiest of ammo as they are the ones having the problems. All of the seasoned Glock shooters I know using the Gen4 have no trouble as they use good reloads or quality 124 gr. 9mm. I still use the 0-3 spring in my Gen4 G19 and it works great but as you say it "dribbles" out low powered range crap but ejects all +p & +p+ with authority. The Gen4 is truly a great CCW with hot ammo which Glocks love but is a poor candidate for Wally World ammo trawlers who post on Youtube as they drink Bud & shoot.
BPman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 08:27 AM   #4

Matt .22
I am SO glad I read this thread! First of all, I'm new here. This is my first post, so..Hi everyone. I am looking at the PPQ because I just recently bought my first Glock and I have been dealing with all the same issues you mentioned (started out with a Gen3 G19, sent it in twice, finally had them exchange it for a Gen4...etc.). Anyhow, even with all the new updated parts, the ejection is still weak and sloppy. I have decided to cut my losses and sell/trade it for something different. I was thinking about an M&P until I saw the PPQ and fell in love. I REALLY want one now. I'm sure I'll be hanging around here and asking plenty of questions. Again..very glad I read this post. Makes me feel like I'm not nuts! Well...sorta.
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 08:33 AM   #5

Matt .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPman View Post
....I will however digress on the point about Glock Gen4 ejections problems. IMO the problems are related to shooters using crappy Walmart ammo or bad grip techniques....
I Don't want to get off on the wrong foot here and have my second post disagree with another member, but I can shoot ALL of my other autos (and all of my friend's) without ANY ejection issues. So it's not my grip. If I was doing something wrong, it would do it with other guns too. It ONLY does it with the new Glocks. Also, it has done it with a wide range of ammo from at least 6 different brands. Trust me, the new Glocks have problems. I'm not here to bash them, but something ain't right.
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 11:06 AM   #6

JimB120 .22
Great post 99999.

Always shot Sigs, but eager to put my new PPQ through the paces.

I'm guessing your SD ammo was 124gr. Curious if you used different weights of ammo, and if you noticed any difference?
JimB120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 11:39 AM   #7

99999 .22
I had sort of an assortment of the SD ammo, and it was pretty dark, so i wasnt sure which i was shooting at the time. just knew it was SD verses the cheap stuff.

Today, I am going to do this again, but indoors, with the lights on. I expect my performance to be pretty equal between the two of them today, and I will be purchasing some nice ammo onsite for the demo, so i will be able to compare better/differently than last night.
99999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 02:35 PM   #8

OHFOSHO .22
I went shooting with a buddy of mine this past weekend, he brought out his Gen4 Glock 19, me with the new PPQ, and we ran through about 200 rounds each of some crappy cheap russian practice ammo. The Walther ran like a champ, but the Glock was having uneven ejection, and a few FTEs.

Maybe the issue is the ammo, but it shouldn't be. Glock has a reputation to eat anything you throw at it, and its a bit of a disappointment to my friend who is now looking for ways to fix the ejection issues.
OHFOSHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 06:03 PM   #9

DK922 .22
I agree on the Glock Gen4's having issues as I got hit in the face with a ton of brass while checking out the Glock 19 at my local range which made the decision to go with the PPQ a very easy one.
DK922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 06:15 PM   #10

grumpy1 .22
Great review 99999and glad to hear you are loving you new PPQ! So far after one range trip mine has impressed me immensley. Also look forward to your next range report when you can see a bit better.

I have a Gen2 Glock 19 that I bought new and it has always been accurate enough for me but I just shoot my SIGs and PPQ better.

I have to say there does seem to be someting to the problems that many seem to be reporting about the later Gen3 and Gen 4 Glock 19s. I have seen and heard enough from what I believe to be credible sources to just write it off. Hopefully the latest version of the Gen4 Glock 19 with all the fixes has finally resolved them.

I am not sure I buy the whole that using crappy/weak ammo is the cause of problems - especially past a couple hundred rounds. I know I have NEVER EVER had a problem with any ammo I have shot in any of my SIGs.

The reality is one could find themselves in a situation someday where they do not have much choice of what ammo they could use. I would rather have a pistol that is known to be able to shoot just about anything.
grumpy1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPQ

Search tags for this page
glock 19 gen 4 vs ppq
glock 19 gen 4 vs walther ppq
glock 19 or ppq
glock vs ppq accuracy
is ppq more fun to shoot and carry than g19?

ppq vs glock 19

ppq vs glock 19 gen 4
walther ppq recoil vs glock 19

walther ppq vs glock

walther ppq vs glock 19

walther ppq vs glock 19 gen 4
walther ppq vs glock 19 size
Click on a term to search for related topics.