WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPQ

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2011, 08:57 PM   #1

Uzzi .22
New PPQ Issues/Questions

Sponsored Links
PPQ - I've had mine for about 3 weeks and shot it alot. I have two issues with this gun, maybe someone could shed some light on it.

1st issue - It's becoming more frequenty - slide does not lock open after that last round is shot in the magazine. Thumbs rest on the slide release, but I can't imagine I'm putting any pressure on it. Gotta get this figured out. I guess I could shoot one handed and see if it happens without thumbs riding the side of the gun. I have heard this happens with HKs, but not with Walthers.

2nd - The slide doesn't fit very well on the receiver. I can shake it and it makes a noise. Just doesn't seem right. I know many parts move when a shot is fired, but it just seems strange.

Pros -

Gun is awesome, the mags are awesome, they go in perfect every time, release perfect everytime, gun is super fun to shoot and it looks bad a$$.

Thanks!

Uzzi
Uzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 09:05 PM   #2

Uzzi .22
One other question - should I be seeing the orange indicator when there is a round in the chamber? I don't see anything on the side of the slide. I thought I would. For some reason I thought I read that somewhere.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:41 PM   #3

extremist Unproven
Trust me, you are pushing down on the slide release and keeping it from locking back. That problem plagues me also, as a 1911 shooter. I have to really focus to keep my thumb under the slide release so I don't do that

James
Walther PPQ/P99, HK P7 and 1911 aficionado
Front Sight First Family Diamond/AK
www.gunfaqs.org
www.lenaburgs.net
Host www.trosusa.com
extremist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 09:42 PM   #4

extremist Unproven
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uzzi View Post
One other question - should I be seeing the orange indicator when there is a round in the chamber? I don't see anything on the side of the slide. I thought I would. For some reason I thought I read that somewhere.
It's not that pronounced, but it is there. At least it is on mine.

James
Walther PPQ/P99, HK P7 and 1911 aficionado
Front Sight First Family Diamond/AK
www.gunfaqs.org
www.lenaburgs.net
Host www.trosusa.com
extremist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 10:12 PM   #5

balance .22
1st issue - It is an issue many people have with pistols with ambidextrous slide releases that are as large as the one on the PPQ. Many people have reported that this issue went away when they moved their thumbs off the slide release. I shoot thumbs down, so this issue has never effected me with either my P30 or PPQ. Both have large slide releases.

2nd issue - Is not an issue. On the recent Guns & Ammo issue that featured the PPQ on the cover, they reported 1.5" accuracy at 25 yards with a 115gr load. The PPQ, by design, is not supposed to be tight. Most pistols that have built a reputation for reliability, aren't.

The painted loaded chamber indicator indent is pretty much useless in my opinion. I'd assume that Walther just put it on there to get extra import points so that the PPQ could be sold in the USA. But when there is a round in the chamber, the extractor is noticeably pressed into the slide on the rear.

I wouldn't count on a loaded chamber indicator even if it was more visually noticeable though. The best way to find out if the gun is loaded, is to rack the slide and visually check the chamber and breechface area. Even the manual warns against relying on it.

Last edited by balance; 09-12-2011 at 11:03 AM.
balance is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 01:24 PM   #6

cens .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by balance View Post
1st issue - It is an issue many people have with pistols with ambidextrous slide releases that are as large as the one on the PPQ. Many people have reported that this issue went away when they moved their thumbs off the slide release. I shoot thumbs down, so this issue has never effected me with either my P30 or PPQ. Both have large slide releases.

2nd issue - Is not an issue. On the recent Guns & Ammo issue that featured the PPQ on the cover, they reported 1.5" accuracy at 25 yards with a 115gr load. The PPQ, by design, is not supposed to be tight. Most pistols that have built a reputation for reliability, aren't.

The painted loaded chamber indicator indent is pretty much useless in my opinion. I'd assume that Walther just put it on there to get extra import points so that the PPQ could be sold in the USA. But when there is a round in the chamber, the extractor is noticeably pressed into the slide on the rear.

I wouldn't count on a loaded chamber indicator even if it was more visually noticeable though. The best way to find out if the gun is loaded, is to rack the slide and visually check the chamber and breechface area. Even the manual warns against relying on it.
+1 to the above. Re the slide locking, try shooting with your thumb down or otherwise away from the slide stop at the range. It really doesn't take much contact during recoil to push the stop up the small fraction necessary to lock the slide back.
cens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 01:35 PM   #7

wrutro .22
I have had an issue with locking the slide to the rear while shooting. I changed my grip ever so slightly and that fixed the problem. It really doesn't take much pressure on way or the other to affect the slide catch.
wrutro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 12:09 AM   #8

jonm61 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by balance View Post
Yup and the PPQ isn't even close to being the only gun like that. I can't remember what article/magazine it was, but one of them pointed out that you can have supreme accuracy or nearly complete reliability, but you can't have both. In a service pistol, you want the best accuracy you can get while obtaining nearly complete reliability. You want a gun that's loose enough to function dirty, wet, cold...or the opposite extremes. Most polymer service pistols these days will rattle a bit if you shake them or you'll be able to move the slide side to side a bit.
When the SHTF, you won’t rise to the occasion, you’ll default to the level of your training.
Member NRA, USCCA, GeorgiaCarry.org
jonm61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 02:13 AM   #9

10mm4me .22
You are definitely pushing down on the slide stop causing the gun not to lock open. A solution, if you are comfortable enough, is to remove the slide stop, trim it down on a grinder, and reblue it. Many people do this on HK's and it looks great and solves the problem. As far as slide to frame fit, that is just how this gun is designed. It in no way affects accuracy and may in fact make it more reliable as tighter tolerances become a liability in adverse conditions.
10mm4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 10:10 AM   #10

Uzzi .22
Slide Release -

You guys were right! I noticed that when I put in a mag and used my thumb to release the slide, I was leaving my thumb on the slide. When I moved it off, no issues. Glad to know my gun is working and I'm not crazy.

THanks!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPQ

Search tags for this page
ppq issue
ppq issues
ppq problems
problems with ppq
problems with the walther ppq
problems with walther ppq
walther ppq chamber
walther ppq issues
walther ppq problem

walther ppq problems

walther ppq slide rattle
walthers ppq issues
Click on a term to search for related topics.