Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPQ

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2011, 09:27 PM   #1

k&cadventures .22
PPQ Tactical Light

Sponsored Links
Hi all:

I had a terrible time searching on the net to find out some information on the PPQ that I have finally come across, so I just thought I'd post my two cents on a couple of things. For those who haven't checked the specs or seen one up close the accessory rail beneath the barrel is a standard 1913 Mil spec, this gives the PPQ advantage over other walther models that are not quite so universal when it comes to accessories.

Next: I tried finding out information on a tactical light to fix to the gun and what would potentially work. After contemplation and seeing how it is on the Walther P99, and recommendation from a shooting expert, I went with the Streamlight TLR-1 (Did not desire the laser of the 2, or the compact style of the 3). Using the included 1913 mounting key the light fits flawlessly on the gun and looks superb. It adds about 6-7 ounces to the overall weight, but is well worth it for storing in the car or next to a bed, or concealed carry at night.

Safety: The only safety is the Glock style trigger lock that requires you to pull back the center before it can fully compress the trigger. There is no safety on this gun, I repeat no safety. Just a word to the safety worried.

The gun includes 2 magazines and both have "P99" printed on the sides of them, although the manual stipulates not to use P99 clips inside of the gun . . . Maybe walther will send you 2 replacement mags later on if this becomes an issue of interest to the general public? Replacement magazines will run you 55-65 for the 15 or 17 rd mag, but that's if you can find them in stock. As with many other walther accessories, they are not easy to come by.

Cost wise: I priced around online and looked at getting one sent to my local FFL handler, but the end result would've been 10 dollars cheaper than traveling to a local shop and paying the slightly higher price tag at $645.00. All in all, I am very pleased with this gun and the way it handles. Until you rapid fire with this gun you can not truly appreciate the 1/10th" reset on the trigger. If you put this gun in your hand, you will desire more from it than just a hand hold. Fair warning!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/codycon...n/photostream/ (PPQ w/ TLR-1 Tactical Light)

Cheers!
justin4bes likes this.
k&cadventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 10:47 PM   #2
Super Moderator

searcher451 .22
Thanks for that good report and the overall observartions. The magazine situation is interesting; we'll have to see how Walther shakes it out down the line.

Welcome to the forum. We trust that you'll enjoy your time here.

Μολὼν λαβέ
searcher451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:03 PM   #3

k&cadventures .22
Thanks. Also of note crossbreed holsters are not releasing a PPQ super tuck in the forseable future. Attempting a P99 style tomorrow. Will report back. Theis holsters for the P99 will work just fine for an IWB holster and has been confirmed as an option by t theis via personal communication.

Cheers
Old 05-25-2011, 09:23 PM   #4

Mig1 Unproven
The light seems to hang out there quite a bit. Can you not move it back one notch?

I have a TLR-1s, but only a gen-1 P99 so I can't tell how it would sit.

On my M&P it is perfect.
Mig1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 10:54 PM   #5

k&cadventures .22
Nope, this is as far back as the light will sit on the gun. It locks down on the first notch, the second notch would put the switch into the trigger guard not allowing it to be placed. However, I tried the TLR-3 that another shooter uses on his P99, and it fits fine, flush with the barrel even! After putting 100 rounds through it today with the TLR-1 attached I noticed no difference and the light itself did not budge or have any fault to the guns performance.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:04 PM   #6

Koenig .22
Sweet review! The more I see people talk about the PPQ the more it actually makes me want one (and I've been looking at the PPS, I wish I could swing both together).

I do have a question for you. What kind of ammunition is that in the photo? (assuming the picture is yours). I don't think I've seen that before.
Koenig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 01:14 AM   #7

k&cadventures .22
Picture Is mine and of the gun i have in my possession. The ammunition shown is hornady critical defense 9mm (9x19). About 17-25 per box of 25 rounds. Cool thing with their design is the hollow point is filled with a polimer that protects the hollow point from filling up and spreading before it impacts flesh. Made specifically for defense, not range shooting! The weignt is 114 gram or so, very similar to most range ammo, this allows good defense with a weaker recoil that matches range ammo to keep your shots more consistent. As far as your choice goes ... If size is an issue for you go PPS but if you want a full size gun with the same trigger system go for the PPQ. Pretty much a simple concept at thought, but definitely hard in reality to choose.
Old 06-12-2011, 01:35 PM   #8

Thirston Howell the 3rd .22
This is a helpful topic --- I am new here and I also have just purchased a PPQ (have not shot it yet) however I did try to read as much as possible before buying- what I did learn on my own like the topic above is there really is no safety except for the trigger which so far is the only thing I can think of that may be a negative however seeing how I haven't shot the gun yet I will refrain from topic reviews -- my question is when I purchased this gun I was led to believe that most PK380 or P99 attachments and holsters will work with the rail system and size on a PPQ does anyone know if this is the case or not?
Thirston Howell the 3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:14 PM   #9

k&cadventures .22
The Walther P99 and PK380 do not have a Mil-spec 1913 rail as the PPQ does. While some accessories may come with keys that work with all three - the specific key is not the same. The P99 and Pk380 essentially can use the same accessories (with exception that the 380 has a 2 notch rail, and the P99 has a 3 notch rail like that of the PPQ). So certain accessories will not be compatible. For the sake of this topic, the streamlight TLR-1 will not fit the PK380 - but works great on the P99 using the S&W 99 Key, the TLR-3 works with all three, again using the 1913 key for PPQ, and the S&W 99 key for the PK380 and P99.

Also the safety system works just fine removing it from a concealed holster I feel no fear of discharging the firearm. It is very reminiscent of a Glock when it comes to safety. No external - but three internal safeties.

Also - P99 holsters seem to fit just fine. The PK380 has a COMPLETELY different frame (like that of the older P22, the newer P22 is going to the PPQ frame which is already in stores), so do not think the same holsters will work. One more note: The P99 has a slightly inward rounded triggerguard, on the PPQ it's somewhat outer rounded. This doesn't pose a serious issue, but may be worth considering if you're going to get a concealed carry holster. Theis holster (theisholsters.com) is offering a PPQ IWB concealed carry - but I'm fairly positive it's just the P99 fit as the trigger guard is slightly different than it should be as a "mold" but it does not affect the holsteristol match. It's still probably the best option out there as crossbreed holsters refuse to even attempt to offer a PPQ option at this time.

Hope that helps!
Old 06-13-2011, 08:16 PM   #10

Thirston Howell the 3rd .22
Big help- thank you....

K&c---I did get a chance to shoot my PPQ - you are correct on the safety features -they work just fine-- this was a big help- I am use to shooting my 1911 and my desert eagle. So I wanted something a little more inexpensive to target practice with hence the 9mm PPQ and it is allot of fun - great grouping right out of the case with some cheap Russian ammo to boot! No complaints here.....just need to be patient on the accessories -- what I am looking for is a laser (green) and a holster to fit the PPQ and laser.... Thank you for the response....

Tht3rd
Thirston Howell the 3rd is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPQ

Tags
tactical, walther ppq tlr-1

Search tags for this page
accessories for walther ppq
light for walther ppq
ppq accessories
ppq laser
ppq tactical
tactical light for walther ppq
walther ppq accesories

walther ppq accessories

walther ppq accessory rail
walther ppq light
walther ppq tactical
walther ppq tactical light
Click on a term to search for related topics.