WaltherForums

WaltherForums (http://www.waltherforums.com/forum/)
-   PPK/S .22LR, New Production by Umarex, 2013 or later (http://www.waltherforums.com/forum/ppk-s-22lr-new-production-umarex-2013-later/)
-   -   G&A article discusses new Umarex PPK model (http://www.waltherforums.com/forum/ppk-s-22lr-new-production-umarex-2013-later/30958-g-article-discusses-new-umarex-ppk-model.html)

GonzoGeezer 08-31-2013 10:08 PM

G&A article discusses new Umarex PPK model

Just got the October G&A and Mr. Sweeney gets called out by a reader regarding his steel comment. The reader received an email response from Walther that the gun is a zinc-aluminum alloy.

Mr. Sweeney retracts his prior statement ...sort of.

As much as it pains me to admit that I did not slap a magnet against the PPK/S and so missed one detail; the slide is indeed steel, but the frame is a zinc alloy. That said, when used properly (that is, in the frame and not the slide), the various iterations of zinc alloy can be very tough indeed. A quick check of "Zamak" in industry specifications turns out the interesting detail of a tensile strength of 58,000 PSI. In the frame of a 22 LR, that is belt-and-suspenders strong. Still mea culpa for my not checking.

It may be time for Mr. Sweeney to retire to the farm.

halfmoonclip 09-01-2013 12:08 AM

Is the slide actually steel?
Moon

Milspec 09-01-2013 01:05 AM

The slide is zinc alloy. The barrel is a thin steel liner though.

olsoul 09-01-2013 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GonzoGeezer (Post 291594)

It may be time for Mr. Sweeney to retire to the farm.

Then he could still be considered "outstanding in his field" :D

searcher451 09-01-2013 10:07 AM

At least Sweeney is man enough to admit his mistake. Bravo for him, and for his magazine; not all of them own up when they muff one. Others in this thread, the photographer mentioned by Universal Exports, so far as we know clings to the sorry notion to this very moment that he and he alone controls the universe.

GonzoGeezer 09-01-2013 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by searcher451 (Post 291657)
At least Sweeney is man enough to admit his mistake. .

Granted, but he perpetuated part of his original error and will need an additional retraction.

MGMike 09-01-2013 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by searcher451 (Post 291657)
At least Sweeney is man enough to admit his mistake. ...

One of them. He still hasn't figured out the other.

M

Deputy 09-01-2013 01:23 PM

Well I, for one, am shocked that all these Walther Forum members never knew about the limited production, all-steel PPK in .22LR that Walther has been producing since they re-introduced the caliber. I've had it on order since it's discreet announcement and have been assured by Walther/
Umagooma that I am on the short list to receive one. It is EXACTLY like the pre-war PPK, except in .22LR. It will come with THREE mags and be in a special presentation box made of walnut. Too bad you guys didn't get your orders in while they were still taking them. The orders were closed at 500. I am number 435. :)

halfmoonclip 09-01-2013 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deputy (Post 291704)
Well I, for one, am shocked that all these Walther Forum members never knew about the limited production, all-steel PPK in .22LR that Walther has been producing since they re-introduced the caliber. I've had it on order since it's discreet announcement and have been assured by Walther/
Umagooma that I am on the short list to receive one. It is EXACTLY like the pre-war PPK, except in .22LR. It will come with THREE mags and be in a special presentation box made of walnut. Too bad you guys didn't get your orders in while they were still taking them. The orders were closed at 500. I am number 435. :)

Touche! And ROFLMAO.
Moon

halfmoonclip 09-01-2013 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Milspec (Post 291618)
The slide is zinc alloy. The barrel is a thin steel liner though.

Such was my assumption; thanks!
This is starting to feel like the old 'fling poo at the wall and see how much can stick' thing.
Let me toss in a defense of some gunscribes (and before the 'net, they were our only source of info); read a Mas Ayoob piece the other day. Despite thinking things half to death, Mas has his act together.
Moon