WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2009, 03:22 AM   #1
EHL

EHL .22
My Smith and Wesson PPK/s modifications

Sponsored Links
I just got my PPK/s back from my gunsmith. It was his first time doing a project like this on PPK/s. He's worked on plenty of PPK/s before, but this is the first time he's had a client come and ask him what I asked him to do. I got the idea when I first read the article from Cylinder and Slide about what one guy did to his S&W Walther after he got it. Here's the article:

http://www.cylinder-slide.com/combathandgun.shtml

I liked some of what I saw, but didn't care for some of the artistic license they took on the little pistol. N/E ways, it was a good place to start and so my year long journey began. I finally got enough scratch to buy all the necessary parts and have enough to pay the gun smith for his services. I didn't want to go with Cylinder and Slide for two reasons:
1. They cost wayyyyy too much. I know they're good, but I'm not sure they are worth the really high prices for their services. In the words of Vincent Vega in Pulp Fiction, "That's a great shake but I don't think that's a five dollar shake."
and
2. Even if I was inclined to pay that much for their PPK/s services (estimated to be around $1000 or more, depending on whether or not you want better sights.) I would still have to wait about 8 months before I could even get my pistol to be seen by them.

I reasoned, surely their has got to be somebody who can do this work and both cost me less and get it done faster. I couldn't have been anymore wrong. I called for months looking for gunsmiths who would attempt this daring list of modifications and none would accept it for fear of ruining the pistol. It looked like I was going to have to go with Cylinder and Slide after all. Finally one day, I found a local gunsmith who I'd totally forgotten about but he had done some fine work on some of my other pistols. I half-heartedly asked him if he could do the work and after some studying of the pics and a description by me of what I wanted, he said he felt confident he could do it!

So I dropped the pistol off with the magazine article that had Cylinder and Slide's pics and explanation of what they did to the little pistol back in September of '08. Five months later and a wad of cash lighter, I have my pistol back! I must say that he did do a stellar job on it and I feel it is superior to the work that C&S did on their version. Here's some pics.

I hope that works. I'm new to posting pics here. N/E ways, I'm still going to inevitably send in my pistol to C&S because they are the only ones who will do the stippling of the front and backstrap both nice and relatively inexpensive.

Any questions or comments please ask.
EHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 03:35 AM   #2
EHL

EHL .22
Oh yeah,
it's late so I forgot to post what mods I had the gunsmith do.
1. Change out factory grips for Crimson Trace Lasergrips
2. Change out factory sights for Trijicon/Novak Low mount Tritium 3 dot sights.
3. Had to mill slide in order to achieve the mounting of these new sights.
4. Bevel magwell for easier mag feeding.
5. Round out corners on backstrap and grip tang.
6. Recounter frame for improved recoil control. (i.e. he trimmed the grip tang to sit lower in hand)
7. Replace factory Hammer spring with Wolff reduced power spring to lighten DA trigger pull down to 9lbs as well as bring down SA trigger pull to 4.5 lbs.
8. Polish feedramp and throat barrel for improved feeding of all ammunition. (sorry I forgot to take pics of the ramp)
9. Lighten decocking safety for easier manipulation. (not as stiff)
10. Tune extractor and test for ejection and extraction reliability.
I think that's everything. I got all of this done for (minus the CT grips) $400 (including parts)(compare to C&S price of $900-$1000 for this package.)
EHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 12:01 AM   #3

taw1126 .22
EHL- can you repost the pics? Nothing is showing up and I'd like to see your modifications. I'm waiting for my 'smith's schedule to free up so I can have my PPK worked over.
taw1126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 12:05 AM   #4

taw1126 .22
Never mind...for some reason after I posted the reply the link to your album came up. Did you have any of the frame (around the trigger & trigger guard area) melted? What I have in mind is similar, though I selected the XS Big Dot sights and I'm going to have the hammer bobbed.
taw1126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 03:40 AM   #5

Fishcop8001 .22
EHL, Looks great. I especially like the Novak sight mod. I just got a new-in-the-box Interarms PPK/S .380 Stainless (made 7/92) and want to do the same mod and add Wolff springs to lighten and crisp up the trigger. I now have a picture of what it looks like. let us know how it shoots!!

LEO/CCW Firearm Instructor 20+yrs
NRA Lifer
Fishcop8001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 05:02 PM   #6

Tintin .22
Looks like you resurrected a 4 year old thread. Nevertheless, I'd like to see it too, and the links are dead. I got on Nebraska C&S's waiting list about a year ago, so I'll put some pictures up myself when the work is done.
Tintin is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series

Search tags for this page
ppk modifications
ppk mods
ppk/s mods
ppks mods
walther ppk modification

walther ppk modifications

walther ppk mods
walther ppk s modifications

walther ppk/s modifications

walther ppk/s mods
walther ppks modifications
walther ppks mods
Click on a term to search for related topics.