Interarms PPK, polish feed ramp? - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2017, 06:55 PM   #1

Logoguy .22
Interarms PPK, polish feed ramp?

I'm new owner to a stainless Interarms PPK .380 circa 1987-88. Very nice condition. Working to find best ammo for target/carry, and determine if reliable enough for EDC. So far, I've shot a full box of Blazer Brass with one failure to feed properly. A full box of Geco with one failure to feed properly. And a full box of Speer Lawman with no failure to feeds.

I've heard these guns take 300-500 rounds to fully break in. Since I bought a 30 year old gun that is used (albeit in super condition), I have no idea how many rounds it has fired. I've done 150 so far myself, with another 400 rounds being shipped to me as I type. Recoil spring extends .5" past end of barrel, which from what I've read should be in spec (having trouble finding a new one). It's possible my failure to feed issues could be from "limp wristing" I suppose. When I purposely focused on locking my wrist and holding more firm, I don't think I had any issues. The problem I've encountered is that it would eject the spent cartridge fully, it would start to strip the next round from the magazine, but the slide would get stuck most of the way open without pushing the round into the breech. I would simply pull the slide fully back to remove improperly fed round, release slide to strip next round in mag, and back in business. I've never had any issues having a round fail to strip off mag and fully seat into breech while racking the slide after loading new magazine. Only after firing a round. If I worded that in a way that makes sense.

I'm wondering if the feed ramp could do with a bit of careful smoothing and polish. I'm not stranger to this process, and understand not to remove any metal beyond machine marks running perpendicular to travel of the bullet, or to change the geometry of the ramp (especially on a fixed barrel gun like this where barrel can't be replaced). I would start with 1000 grit wet/dry (maybe higher) and very carefully sand with proper shaped dowel or nib in direction of bullet travel. Then, following up with flitz or mothers to polish it up. Anybody have issues with feeding like I've described, and used similar method to slick it up with positive results?

Thanks! Doug
PS picture of my new PPK with walnut grips I just got from grips4u. Pretty, huh?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wather PPK.jpg (786.0 KB, 29 views)
Logoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 03-20-2017, 07:47 PM   #2
Supporting Member

olsoul .22
More good Rangers have been ruined by polishing the feed ramp then any other cause.

That should be your very last option. Try everything else in the world before doing that. I'd continue practicing with the weapon or even try a Wolff Spring Kit before doing anything to the feed ramp.

Sweet Ranger BTW...you know you're going to get lots of images of others' Rangers so here's one of my 93:

GeoNole94 likes this.

Last edited by olsoul; 03-20-2017 at 07:51 PM.
olsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 07:54 PM   #3

1917-1911M .38
Welcome Logoguy.....a little polish never hurt anything but might not help either. Do you have more than one magazine? A lot of times these types of stoppages are mag related. Have you cleaned the one (s) you have? This particular model may have some history and if so someone will be along shortly with some ideas. Mine runs fine on whatever I've run through it but I haven't fired it more than 100 times.....1917
1917-1911M is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2017, 08:02 PM   #4

1917-1911M .38
I'll defer to olsoul, he's faster on the draw anyway. 1917
1917-1911M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 10:23 PM   #5

MeloM .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by olsoul View Post
Sweet Ranger BTW...you know you're going to get lots of images of others' Rangers so here's one of my 93:
I have one with serial number very close to yours. Do you know the manufacture date of yours, if you don't mind sharing? Just curious about mine. Based on the info I got somewhere here, I estimate mine to be from between Dec '92 and Jan '93.
MeloM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 02:46 AM   #6

Logoguy .22
Thanks guys!

Osoul, I will have to take you word for it as you have more experience that I regarding these sexy little pistols. I would say that doing it "wrong" has probably ruined more that just polishing the feed ramps in general. That is to say, if one is aggressive and removes metal or changes the shape of the feed ramp, it's probably only good for a club (thankfully they are heavy enough to probably do some good pistol whipping damage). If a pro job is done, I can't see that it could hurt anything. I will take your advice and do everything else first...and even then might not try to attempt polishing. It seems to love Speer lawman, and although that is a couple more bucks a box than the cheaper target range ammo, it's worth it (especially for carry reliability). Cheaper stuff gives me the once in a while opportunity to practice clearing misfires. I'm just used to my 3rd gen S&W 3913 that is my EDC normally...and I can run thousands of rounds of anything through it without a FTF ever. And I mean ever.

Regarding spring. Stick with stock 20 lb or go with reduced spring rate like the 17 or 16 I've read about? I'm good with 20 lb functionality though, love shooting this gun (can't figure out why folks say it's hard on their hand).

Magazines seem to be like new in every way. Can't remember if the FTF's happened with same mag or not, as I was alternating between the finger extension and flat bottom one. But that is something I will pay attention to for the next couple hundred rounds.

How wet do you run your Walther PPK (or ppks)? I used light gun grease on frame and slide rails like I do with other pistols. Not oozing out, but just a nice slick smear. Maybe I'm too dry?

MeloM: I figured out the approx birthday for my pistol on this form thread An analysis of Interarms/Ranger USA-made PPK-PPK/S serial numbers & dates I found some in close range to mine, not in the charts on first page...but in the 11 pages of the thread somewhere (I would just go to next page, do a ctrl + f and search for "A02" or something to speed things up a bit. Anyway, didn't write things down, but I walked away quite confident mine was right in the 87-88 year ranges (or was it 88-89?). Anyway late 80's all the same. Hope the link helps you pinpoint a bit better for yours too. Maybe come back and let me know here!

Again, thanks for all the help guys. Glad I left the sandpaper and polish in my tool box....at least for now.

Doug
sgtmaj65 likes this.
Logoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 10:26 AM   #7
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
Nobody ever reads the FAQs. Troubleshooting Failure to Feed

M

P.S. Doug's description of his feed stoppages should be a model for others. He has related precisely the nature of the stoppage, the brand of ammunition used, and the procedure he used to clear it. From the facts that he never experiences a stoppage when charging the first round, that the fired case ejects but the next round jams with the slide mostly open, and that Lawman so far always works, it is a near certainty that the malfunctions result from marginally short recoil (ammo not powerful enough for a strong recoil spring), or from sluggish magazine follower lift (dirty inside, slowing it down), or a combination of both. The feed ramp has nothing to do with it.

M

Last edited by MGMike; 03-21-2017 at 10:44 AM.
MGMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 10:35 AM   #8

Herr Walther Unproven
Another example would be the Danish PP's without the signal pin. They require a hotter ammunition to function correctly as well.

Winchester white box doesn't cut it with these pistols that run perfectly fine on S&B, GECO, or any defensive load.

Made in the U.S. of parts from Emmingen, Baden-Württemberg.

Die Familie Rentz seit 1535 http://www.waltherforums.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2091&dateline=1394562  861
Herr Walther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 11:48 AM   #9

MeloM .22
Thanks logoguy, but my question is really for olsoul specific to his serial number.
MeloM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 03:52 PM   #10
Supporting Member

olsoul .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeloM View Post
I have one with serial number very close to yours. Do you know the manufacture date of yours, if you don't mind sharing?
My test target is dated:02/02/93....

olsoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series