WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2008, 01:30 PM   #11

bonebreak2000 .22
Sponsored Links
Well it was threaded. If they had to remove the barrel I am not sure. It is the stock barrel to my knowledge. On a lot of rimfire's what they will do is thread the stock barrel with a smaller pitch then make an adapter that fits on top of that that acts as a barrel extender and alters the pitch to that of what you need. In my case 1/2 x 28 tpi.

Here is an example of how you can attach a silencer to a P22 with the stock barrel.
http://www.tacticalinc.com/walther-t...ctor-p-74.html
The difference is that the P22 comes with that treaded barrel and this PPk had to be threaded. Gemtec did the thread job on this gun.

To answer your question on the extractor. If you look at the third picture I posted the outside of the extractor is towards the bottom. I can see now with the shadow why it?s hard to tell. The outside of the extractor is flat not concave.
bonebreak2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 04:22 PM   #12
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonebreak2000 View Post
If you look at the third picture I posted the outside of the extractor is towards the bottom. I can see now with the shadow why it?s hard to tell. The outside of the extractor is flat not concave.
Then it is nominally a .22 extractor, but it looks awfully rough to be a Walther-made extractor.

I am well aware that Gemtech can thread the original barrel (or a replacement of the same length) and also makes a plain sleeve having the original barrel OD so that a) all threading is internal and it is not necessary to substitute a longer barrel with exposed threads, and b) the external appearance of the gun is completely unchanged and it can be used without the suppressor attached. I have a Walther PP that was so done by Gemtech. Your pistol, incidentally, is not a PPK, but a PPK/S.

In any event, the barrel must be driven out for this procedure to be done, and then re-installed carefully, making sure the extractor cut is properly oriented.

Why not just buy a new extractor and have a gunsmith install it, and check over the workmanship while he's at it?

M
MGMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 04:58 PM   #13

bonebreak2000 .22
The extractor does look very rough there. It feels smooth to the touch though. Its an ultra close up shot. That is laying on my bathroom counter which is very smooth and it looks bumpy as well in that picture.

I went to my local range today to shoot anyway. I brought the PPK/S with me and he looked at it and said he would do the extractor for free if I got a new one. From what i have read it sounds like you just push it into the slot. Is the spring and plunger the only thing holding it in place? Or is there more to it than that? I'm tring not to sound too much like and idiot here when posting but I need to make a decission ASAP on this so the seller knows what to do.

I am not 100% sure that a broken piece isn't still in the slide.

I own 2 other Walther pistols and one rifle. So far in just 1 night this one has made a larger impression on me than any of my other ones so I think I will give the new extractor a try.

MGMike
Can you send or post a picture of the thread job you are referring to? I can't Imagine how a PP would have functional threads without extending the barrel length.

Thanks
Old 02-27-2008, 06:41 PM   #14

greenlisterine .22
The job can be done without a PP (or otherwise extended barrel) by trimming the exterior of the barrel, threading it, and machining an adaptor. Here's how it would look:

http://www.p38forum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14401

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonebreak2000 View Post
The extractor does look very rough there. It feels smooth to the touch though. Its an ultra close up shot. That is laying on my bathroom counter which is very smooth and it looks bumpy as well in that picture.

I went to my local range today to shoot anyway. I brought the PPK/S with me and he looked at it and said he would do the extractor for free if I got a new one. From what i have read it sounds like you just push it into the slot. Is the spring and plunger the only thing holding it in place? Or is there more to it than that? I'm tring not to sound too much like and idiot here when posting but I need to make a decission ASAP on this so the seller knows what to do.

I am not 100% sure that a broken piece isn't still in the slide.

I own 2 other Walther pistols and one rifle. So far in just 1 night this one has made a larger impression on me than any of my other ones so I think I will give the new extractor a try.

MGMike
Can you send or post a picture of the thread job you are referring to? I can't Imagine how a PP would have functional threads without extending the barrel length.

Thanks
greenlisterine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 06:44 PM   #15
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
Sorry, they don't let me post pics here, and my camera skills are too feeble anyhow.

Just try to visualize a normal PP barrel and slide in which the front end of the barrel inside the slide is a reduced diameter and threaded, and then has, screwed on over the threads, a plain sleeve that exactly duplicates the original external profile of the barrel. Assembled, the gun looks unchanged. To mount a suppressor, the sleeve is unscrewed, an adaptor threaded on the barrel under the slide (it protrudes out the front), and the suppressor mounted externally to the adaptor. The threading and sleeving is very precisely done by Gemtech.

To replace the extractor, it's easiest to first remove the safety, which relieves pressure on the extractor spring, and also facilitates radial alignment of the extractor plunger, which must be correctly oriented. It's possible (can't tell from your photo) that the broken stub of the extractor is still in there, blocked by the plunger.

Let the gunsmith do it. It's a 5-minute job if you know how, and three hours of frustration if you don't.

M
MGMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 07:46 PM   #16

bonebreak2000 .22
Oh yeah by using an adapter. Thats exactly what I was describing with that last link. That is exactly how this one was done. I typically prefer a longer barrel that is threaded but sometimes the adapter is the only way.

Ok thanks for all the responses. I think I will give it a go and hope for the best as long as he is willing to send me a true Walther part.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series

Search tags for this page
extractor
extractor de ppk

ppk extractor

ppk suppressor

ppk threaded barrel

threaded barrel ppk
threaded walther pp barrel

threaded walther ppk barrel

walther ppk suppressor

walther ppk threaded barrel

walther ppk22
where can i buy a threaded ppk barrel
Click on a term to search for related topics.