PPK in .380 any good? - Page 3 - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2017, 05:24 PM   #21

halfmoonclip .22
If you're bound to one pistol, is there a compelling reason to go with a PP series? Buying an old pistol (in a small caliber that is at least pleasant to shoot) of unknown provenance seems like less than clear thinking. I love Walthers, but there are other alternatives in more substantial calibers. What are your options for pistols in your country?
Moon

German cars, Austrian guns, Irish beer
halfmoonclip is online now   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 02-15-2017, 01:12 AM   #22

Deserthuntr .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfmoonclip View Post
If you're bound to one pistol, is there a compelling reason to go with a PP series? Buying an old pistol (in a small caliber that is at least pleasant to shoot) of unknown provenance seems like less than clear thinking. I love Walthers, but there are other alternatives in more substantial calibers. What are your options for pistols in your country?
Moon
Hi Moon. Thank you for your post. I understand what your way of reasoning. If I had my way I would buy a Taurus 608 in 357Mag. But it is not that simple. First of all our hand weapons needs to be concealed under clothing whenever in public. In Africa we have warm to hot summers so it makes it difficult. The PP and PPK is easy to conceal and packs enough punch for me. Most people I know who does have a 9mmP does not carry it because it is too heavy or bulky.

I honestly don't think a 9mm will be so much more beneficial. I would rather be comfortable with an accurate pistol with which I can practice more and not afraid of.

The idea is also to purchase something that my wife can shoot with. She is very comfortable with the PP. We can get a common license so she and I can both use the pistol. I can always later get something bigger if I want to.

This is from an African point of view, and yes I have thought it through pretty well for some time now.
Deserthuntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 04:45 PM   #23

halfmoonclip .22
Desert', understand that line of reasoning perfectly. However, are Glocks or similar pistols available? Their .380 and single stack 9mm are scarcely larger than a PP, and of a more substantial caliber. The .380 G42 is particularly soft shooting, so your bride should easily deal with it.
There are other more modern designs which are of roughly the same size as a PP and still pleasant to shoot. The issue with .380 PP's is not the cartridge; it's the abrupt stop of the blowback slide, which makes them rappy to shoot. Modern designs avoid this issue.
It's interesting that your concealed weapon has to be, well, concealed.
Good luck.
Moon

Old 02-15-2017, 08:20 PM   #24

kat1950 .22
I know a lot of members think the 380s packs a punch , IMO there is nothing to that, I understand they pack more of a punch than the 32, but to me it is mild compared to other small 9mm, as for the rounds they will both be fine for defense, over the years I have had great success with both calibers in all my PP-PPK-PPK/S. You have picked a wise choice in both of those pistols.
kat1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 12:20 PM   #25

Deserthuntr .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfmoonclip View Post
The .380 G42 is particularly soft shooting, so your bride should easily deal with it.
Thank you for the input Moon, but it will take a lot for me to buy a Glock. Just not a fan. Why would I choose the Glock 42 over a Walther PP?

Ive read a lot about the differences between the 7.65, .380 and 9mmP. Packing more punch means nothing if you are afraid to shoot the darn thing.

If attacked you have about 3 seconds to shoot 3 shots. In that 3 seconds I am not going to think "I should have had a 9mm". Not Im not going to think anything at all. I'll just remember my training and if I have a pistol that I can easily retrieve and use then I'm in luck. If I don't like the pistol then I won't carry it. I like the Walther PP and PPK and will still have confidence in using it for self defense.
Old 02-16-2017, 05:21 PM   #26

halfmoonclip .22
Desert', you've answered my question; if the Walther is what you like, then go for it. I'll try to answer your question; a G42 is virtually the same size as a PPK, but is far more pleasant to shoot, and goes bang all the time. But they are fugly.
I don't have trouble sticking with the same woman, but I'd have a hell of a time if I only had one pistol. Or one kind of beer....
Best,
Moon

Last edited by halfmoonclip; 02-16-2017 at 05:24 PM.
Old 02-16-2017, 08:27 PM   #27

runnr548 .22
Get the gun you want. WOW! That was easy.

runnr548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 12:48 PM   #28

Deserthuntr .22
Walther PPK 9mm

Finally got some pictures! Anyone have an idea of the manufacturing date? Ive read through the posts and can't find anything...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20170226-WA0005.jpg (209.4 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-20170226-WA0007.jpg (136.3 KB, 23 views)
Old 02-26-2017, 01:21 PM   #29

tnlrat37 .22
Nice, my wife has a PPKS and a G42, loves both but the ppks is still her favorite by far. I've personally never seen a made in France one.

Look through this thread for a date, or post pics there someone can help you there

Walther PP & PPK Date Charts (See Post#2)
tnlrat37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 05:27 PM   #30

Balogh .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserthuntr View Post
Anyone have an idea of the manufacturing date?
You have to compare its serial number with Ulm marked guns that show the year of their proof. It must be either 1975 or 1976.
Balogh is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series