Ft Smith PPKs and PPK/Ss - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series

Like Tree54Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2016, 04:11 PM   #1

vonAbwehr .22
Ft Smith PPKs and PPK/Ss

I understand that the new Ft Smith plant has produced a run of PPKs and PPK/Ss...and that shipping is held up because of legal issues...true?
vonAbwehr is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 12-19-2016, 04:41 PM   #2
Super Moderator

UniversalExports .38
True. Legal issues are with Germany, however. The word given to me was that the slide is made in Germany, and that the German government is balking on a firearms export license for them to get shipped to Fort Smith.

The Globe is a ship that has everything—
Including a serial killer with a large knife
and a penchant for the rich and beautiful.

Visit me at my Blog and on Facebook
UniversalExports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 05:00 PM   #3

Austin Powers .22
Have a look at this thread, despite the fact that it has been locked as of August and the last update made was from July, it is still surprisingly up-to-date, which should say something about the progress this production is making...

Some info regarding the Fort Smith PPK & PPK/S.

It used to be here on the main forum, but it got locked/relocated to the FAQ Subforum due to the subject generating a lot of strong opinions which lead to a lot of arguing.

Hopefully Walther will release some new information regarding the production next month at SHOT Show, but I wouldn't hold my breath. If you want an American-Made PPK(/S), then I strongly recommend seeking out a reliable Interarms or S&W rather than waiting on Fort Smith to finally get everything sorted out. Both previous productions (i.e. Interarms/S&W) are covered by Walther's Legendary Lifetime Warranty (which follows the gun, not the original owner) and therefore if you encounter any problems you can have them sent in for service/repair/replacement free of charge.
I've entrusted my life to a S&W PPK/S-1, it may not be able to stop the illusive 7ft/300Lbs+ Meth Head wearing 5 layers of denim and wielding a car door as a shield, but I'm fairly certain I can outrun such a beast, especially after dumping 7 rounds of .380 ACP into him.

Last edited by Austin Powers; 12-19-2016 at 05:10 PM.
Austin Powers is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-19-2016, 11:52 PM   #4

Balogh .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin Powers View Post
Both previous productions (i.e. Interarms/S&W) are covered by Walther's Legendary Lifetime Warranty (which follows the gun, not the original owner) and therefore if you encounter any problems you can have them sent in for service/repair/replacement free of charge.
There is one missing word... limited. It is called the Walther Legendary Lifetime Limited Warranty and covers all the firearms currently produced and supported by Walther and distributed by Walther Arms, Inc. in Fort Smith, Arkansas in the United States of America. So I'm not sure about the value of such words.
Attached Images
File Type: png Warranty.PNG (51.2 KB, 111 views)
Balogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 01:00 PM   #5

Austin Powers .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balogh View Post
There is one missing word... limited. It is called the Walther Legendary Lifetime Limited Warranty and covers all the firearms currently produced and supported by Walther and distributed by Walther Arms, Inc. in Fort Smith, Arkansas in the United States of America. So I'm not sure about the value of such words.
The key word here is "discontinued" and the PPK(/S) has not yet been discontinued. Furthermore, I actually e-mailed Walther Arms before purchasing my used S&W PPK/S-1 asking if it was covered by their warranty, and the representative I spoke with (I believe it was Casey Craig) assured me that it was covered. There have also been folks on this very forum who have had Interarms models serviced and weren't charged because according to Walther Arms, they were covered as well.

Besides, even if they did discontinue the PPK, (which I doubt they'd do when they supposedly have crates full of them just sitting in limbo in their factory) they'd have so many spare parts from their current production as well as leftovers from S&W that they'd probably continue servicing PPKs for a good long while until their supply runs dry.

Lastly, the PPK/S .22 and PPX are still covered despite both being discontinued. If memory serves me right, I recall an instance in which somebody recently exchanged a jammed PPK/S .22 with a broken recoil spring for one of their other rimfire replicas. Not to mention that somebody on this forum reported that a Walther Arms Rep told him when asked that if anything on his PPX broke that they'd replace/exchange it for a CREED.
I've entrusted my life to a S&W PPK/S-1, it may not be able to stop the illusive 7ft/300Lbs+ Meth Head wearing 5 layers of denim and wielding a car door as a shield, but I'm fairly certain I can outrun such a beast, especially after dumping 7 rounds of .380 ACP into him.
Old 12-20-2016, 03:15 PM   #6

Balogh .22
Quote:
The key word here is "discontinued" and the PPK(/S) has not yet been discontinued.
Question: Is the PPK currently produced and supported by Walther [in Germany] and distributed by Walther Arms in the United States of America?
Old 12-20-2016, 03:26 PM   #7

Balogh .22
Quote:
Lastly, the PPK/S .22 and PPX are still covered despite both being discontinued.
It's good that these models are still covered but it's a shame that the information on Walther Arms's website is that poor and unreliable. In general, their website is acheekiness. I am a Walther fan boy for the last 30 years of my life but I'm not sure if I became one today.
Pilotsteve likes this.
Old 12-20-2016, 03:50 PM   #8

Austin Powers .22
Quote:
Question: Is the PPK currently produced and supported by Walther [in Germany] and distributed by Walther Arms in the United States of America?
Supposedly the slides are being produced in Germany whereas the frames are being produced in the USA, or at least that's what Walther Arm's Reps have been telling people as of late. Which would explain why the prototypes show at SHOT Show 2016 had mismatched Tenifer-treated slides on blued frames. (The Tenifer treatment process is outlawed by the Environmental Protection Agency in the United States.)
Old 12-20-2016, 04:07 PM   #9

Balogh .22
I agree on that. So the answer is a simple "no".

That shows that Walther Arms should keep their website up-to-date at least as long as they are not busy selling their PPK models...
Old 12-20-2016, 06:24 PM   #10

Austin Powers .22
Quote:
I agree on that. So the answer is a simple "no".

That shows that Walther Arms should keep their website up-to-date at least as long as they are not busy selling their PPK models...
Actually, it isn't... The issue is that they have given so many conflicting/inconsistent answers on the subject that they can no longer be considered a reliable source of information.

The worst part about it is that it would be so easy for them to edit their product pages periodically, but then again, when their product pages/design details are so frequently riddled with inaccurate information such as listing the slide material of the PPQ .22 as "zinc diecast" when in reality it's aluminum, perhaps it's for the best that they don't attempt to keep their product pages/design details up-to-date.
To this day I still don't know what the PPK/S .22 is made out of due to all the conflicting information I have received from both sides of the ocean. Walther Arms lists it as being "zinc diecast" yet their representatives have stated otherwise and carl-walther.de made absolutely no mention of the materials, but when asked via e-mail I was told it was a propriety aluminum alloy, while others have been told a variety of things such as the frame being a zinc alloy while the slide is aluminum and vice versa.
wjthompson likes this.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series

Search tags for this page

is the ppx walther still covered by a warrenty

walther factory ft smith ar

walther ppk release date

Click on a term to search for related topics.