WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2007, 12:53 PM   #1

alnitak .22
PPK/S sight adjustment help

Sponsored Links
Just got a PPK/S. Fired everything at the range, but noticed that I was shooting left. Looking at the rear sight, I noticed that it was not centered, but pushed left. So, I went to adjust it back to the middle using first a wooden dowel, then a brass punch, then a steel punch! No luck! It bent the brass punch, and I didn't want to hit too hard with the steel punch, as the manual says it may mar the sight. I saw on another thread that his PPK/S rear sight was also shifted to the left.

Any tricks to get this sight to move? For example, putting the slide in the freezer? Is this a common problem with the S&W models? Could it have been misaligned at the factory?
alnitak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 01:08 PM   #2

Ramoel Unproven
Take it to a gunsmith. It only takes a few minutes with the proper tool and should not cost much. You can also buy your own tool from Brownells although it may be cheaper just to have it done. http://www.brownells.com/
Old 02-02-2007, 10:23 AM   #3

jehzsa .22
Hello alnitak,
If I were you, the first thing I'd do is hand it over to another shooter. If he experiences the same condition then follow through with the following. If you/him are using the tip of your shooting finger to fire, the problem might lie with you and not the gun's sights. Move then the position of your finger over the trigger to the first joint and see how it works. Also try it from a rest. One-handed holds or two-handed holds are usually not the best indicator as to point-of-impact/point of aim issues.

HTH and welcome to the forum.
jehzsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 10:59 AM   #4

alnitak .22
Thanks Jehzsa. I appreciate the advice, but the issue is not my shooting style or hold. Been shooting for a lot of years, and am fairly accurate. The sights are clearly off and not centered in the dovetail. Red dot of rear sight considerably left of the chamber indicator pin. The issue is that I can't budge them. And going to a gunsmith here in No. Virginia is not an easy task -- 45 minutes away, limited hours or appointment only, and costs $50-60 just to look at a pistol. I don't want to spend $150 on a sight tool. So, any ideas how to get that rear sight adjusted?
Old 02-02-2007, 02:02 PM   #5

jehzsa .22
This is how I've handled the problem. Soak it overnight in penetrating oil. Grab a block of wood, about the size of the slide should be just fine. Place the slide in a bench vise, use rubber to protect it from scratching. Do not overtighten, the slide should just be firmly held by the vise. Grab a hammer. Tap at first and check for movement. Usually a couple of taps will do. If you don't have a vise, then leave the slide in the frame. Secure the gun with your foot against a rug and tap gently. Might have to hit it three or four times. Easy does it.

What I don't remember is if the sight comes out the left or the right side. Make sure you check this first. That will determine the force of your taps. If you move it in more than needed, when you move it back it will be loose. Then it's time for Loctite.
Old 02-02-2007, 02:43 PM   #6

jehzsa .22
I re-reading my last post, I think I wasn't clear enough. Just in case. Use the block of wood as if it were the punch.
Old 02-05-2007, 01:54 PM   #7

alnitak .22
Thanks Jehzsa! I'll give that approach a try.

Take care.
Bruce
Old 02-13-2007, 02:44 AM   #8

Tommy2 .22
I have the same issue with my brand new PPK. Shooting way left (4 inches left at 21 ft). Consistent for 3 different shooters. Visually-the sight is way left. No where near the centerline of the gun. Also can't field strip it. I'm concerned about the quality of this thing-especially at $500.

This is my 5th gun. The first 4 didn't give me any where near these problems.
Tommy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 04:48 PM   #9

banddr2 Unproven
I am curious, do the Smith & Wesson PPK's & PPK/S's come with test targets? If they do and they look accurate, then something is fishy in the QC dept. If they have test target, then they should mean something, that is Walther intedended!

Also, Tommy2, on your dissassembly problem, on my German PPK/S I have to really yank the slide back and up hard for it to come off because the tolerances are so close. But if a averaged stregthed human can't do it, take Uncut's advise and send it back on their dime.
banddr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 11:25 AM   #10

Franco2Shoot .22
loose nut on the back side

I had the same problem with my used PP, but it definitly was the nut behind the trigger that needed tightening. I put one of those trigger lasers (laserlyte) on mine, and once the dot was aligned with the sights, the pattern became much better. I still pull left and down, but now I see the red dot on the target making the movement just at the moment of break.

I understand that your's is a rear sight alignment problem, "To some degree" and I know what you mean about Smithing shortages in NoVa. Try the guy at Gilberts on a morning mid-week. I'ld call first and see if he can't Hep ya on a walk in basis. Going out to Clark Bros' is a long haul, but I will say this the guy out there does great work, he's just busier than a one-armed paper hanger.

KKKKFL
Franco2Shoot is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series

Search tags for this page
adjust sights walther ppk
adjusting ppk sights
adjusting sights on walther ppks
how to adjust ppk sights
how to adjust rear sight on walther ppk
how to adjust sights on ppk

how to adjust sights on walther ppk

how to use the walther ppk/s sights

ppk sight adjustment

walther ppk rear sight adjustment

walther ppk sight adjustment

walther ppk/s sight adjustment

Click on a term to search for related topics.