Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2013, 08:42 PM   #1
Supporting Member

olsoul .22
Walther PP 22LR military pistol

Sponsored Links
I posted these images on another thread but thought since this is an interesting PP I'd show it off on its own thread. She shows some wear but what a story...

A bit of history...I bought a "new" Walther PPK/S 22 LR as a practice piece for my wife (she has a Manurhin PPK/S 380 as an EDC). I was so dissatisfied I couldn't even give it to her.

I decided to get her a "real" Walther and found a reasonably priced PP 22RL.
It arrived at my LGS today and I found it rather unusual.
Its serial number is 41086 LR. It has no date of manufacture or Ulm proof marks although the slide says Ulm. It does have two "droopy winged eagles" on the slide and the frame, and a P at the rear of the slide

http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/...psa6ffe7ce.jpg

http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/...pscc2d1898.jpg

http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/...ps07c35bc5.jpg

http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/...psb9b0457e.jpg

Enter "Martin the Wise" who steered me to the right information about this weapon.

This weapon was ordered by the British Army. In the mid-1970s the Royal Army Ordnance Corps purchased about 3400 Walther PPs in 22LR for the Ulster Defense Regiment, an infantry regiment operating out of British-controlled Northern Ireland. These guns were designated L66A1 and described as PDWs or "personal defense weapons". The serial numbers run from about 41693 to 45088.

As you can see the finish is different too it is called a Suncorite finish which is more like a lacquer. (I'm not completely sure mine was so treated but it sure is different from the bluing on other Walther PPs from the mid 70s) The P on the slide means the firing pin was replaced by the British Army when they were refurbished.

What so fascinates me is the lack of British military proof marks...almost a sub rosa pistol...

Again a tip of the hat to Martin for steering me in the proper direction.

I lucked into a weapon with an interesting history, and it is a very nice shooter to boot. But my original dilemma continues...should I give it to my wife (who is btw south irish) or keep keep it for myself and get her another???

Last edited by olsoul; 06-03-2013 at 08:51 PM.
olsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:23 PM   #2

Darkstar888 .22
I find it intriguing that the army would issue .22lr for defense weapons!
Darkstar888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:49 PM   #3
Supporting Member

olsoul .22
It is rather odd isn't it? And no markings....a carry piece that wouldn't identify you as army if you were out of uniform???

This was North Ireland in the 70s and there was a lot of unrest and hate on both sides. Many Irish in the northern counties considered the UDR as an occupational force. Maybe, as I said, a small caliber unmarked PP wouldn't identify one as being British Army.

But then again this was a military purchase and the 22 LR might have been a cost saving measure, wouldn't be the 1st time.

Last edited by olsoul; 06-03-2013 at 09:51 PM.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:33 PM   #4

Sharwnthla .22
Yup, Walther PP British Model, L66A1. Congrats man, you definitely got a sweet gun! I managed to pick one up about 6 months ago and they truly are awesome shooters, wickedly accurate. Yours is a bit older than mine by the serial number mine is 42069. Mine came with Pachmayr grips, which I have since replaced.

The biggest disadvantage is that extra magazines are NOT cheap, they run about $100 bucks at best from what I have found. Sadly the mags from the new PPK/s in 22lr will not fit at all. Mine is a bit picky about having a full 10 rounds in the mag, I have to run 9 in the mag or risk a jam. But that is about the only complaint I have.

Here's mine before I swapped out the grips. I am

And here it is again after I swapped out the grips, at the top.
searcher451, Milspec and olsoul like this.
Sharwnthla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:50 PM   #5
Supporting Member

olsoul .22
A lovely weapon Sharwnthla. I like yours better with the Walther grips. And you are right about being accurate. Even shooting combat focus my weapon was great at 15 and 25 feet.

I just gave mine a cursory inspection and lube before sending 100 Federal 40 gr down range. One FTF and one FTE, mag was loaded to 10 rounds each time.

I had thought about refinishing it but am now inclined against that. Now where would you suggest I find a couple more magazines (I'm sure they will cost almost as much as the weapon).

lol and where can I find another PP 22 LR to give to my wife?

Old 06-03-2013, 11:38 PM   #6

Sharwnthla .22
Thank you! yeah I thought about refinishing mine, but elected to let it be. The suncorite the Brits used seems to be wearing off over time and leaving a very interesting patina to the metal.

As for the mags, check the trading post here, Andy was selling a couple .22 l.r. original Walther PPk magazines -SE FL. Or throw a post in the wanting to buy section. As for a second one.... good luck. You can always check here Walther, Simpson Ltd but the prices on there hurt me.
Sharwnthla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 01:58 AM   #7
Super Moderator

Milspec .38
I've got mine...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg L66A1-1.jpg (95.6 KB, 32 views)
Sharwnthla and olsoul like this.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:52 AM   #8

Martin .22
osoul, you are welcome.

The proofmarks of these guns were made by the quality testing institute of the German Ministry of Defence (Deutscher Güteprüfdienst des Bundesverteidigungsministeriums). It is indeed uncommon, that these guns not even marked with the British "Broad Arrow". Some examples were later proofed and marked with the British proofmark (crossed flags) after they were repaired or reworked.
olsoul likes this.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:46 AM   #9
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
A great deal has been written but relatively little is known for certain about these pistols. This subject has been pounded to a pulp in many previous threads and is now being recirculated with misunderstandings and conjecture repeated as fact. (Rather like Wikipedia).

Anyone who wants to explore the whole thing should use the forum's search feature for "British" and "Contract" and "Suncorite."

M
MGMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:48 AM   #10
Supporting Member

olsoul .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMike View Post
A great deal has been written but relatively little is known for certain about these pistols. This subject has been pounded to a pulp in many previous threads and is now being recirculated with misunderstandings and conjecture repeated as fact. (Rather like Wikipedia).

Anyone who wants to explore the whole thing should use the forum's search feature for "British" and "Contract" and "Suncorite."

M
Any misinformation posted here MGM? I'd sure like to know the real deal...
Thanks...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series

Search tags for this page
best walther pp handgun forum gallery image
british airforce walther pp
british l66a1 walther pp suncorite
l66a1 walther

magazine for walther pps/s .22lr

ppk 22rl
show.me.a.walther.ppk.pistol.com
suncorite finish

walther l66a1

walther p22 military pistol .22lr
walther pp 22lr dates
walther ppk .22lr slide and firing pin assembly images
Click on a term to search for related topics.