WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2013, 07:07 PM   #1

llucas .22
New Walther (Smith and Wesson) ppk/s issues

Sponsored Links
My son picked up a new in the box PPK/S of the Smith and Wesson variety. Two problems: (1) The slide will not come off. I took it back to the gun shop and they tried another one that was in stock. Same issue. No matter how much pressure is applied backward (with trigger guard down and secured) it will not come up-and-off. I called Walther. They said it was probably the recoil spring in backward and it would have to be sent to them for repair -- and that a backward spring is not covered under warranty so I would have to pay for the repair on this new gun. I took it back to the gunsmith at the shop and he forced it off in a gun vise. It took ridiculous pressure to remove it -- and the spring was not in backward. So much so I could imagine damage occurring from the pressure. The gunsmith said to shoot a box of ammo through it and try again. Anyone have this problem with a new S&W PPK/S right out of the box? I assembled it without the recoil spring to check the tolerances. They are very close at the release point. I don't see how there would be enough room to compress that spring enough to field strip it. Suggestions?

Second problem: the metal edges on the front and back straps are exposed and sharp. I don't remember this issue with exposed metal on the grips in the older PPK pistol. Is there a good aftermarket grip that will cover these sharp metal edges on the S&W ppk/s grip?

As much as this handgun cost these problems should not exist.
llucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:14 PM   #2
Banned

JW 759 .22
What caliber is it?
JW 759 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:21 PM   #3

llucas .22
It is chambered in .380
Old 05-10-2013, 07:26 PM   #4
Banned

JW 759 .22
The recoil spring for the .380 is really strong. To disassemble more attention to the strength of the recoil spring is necessary.

It takes more force to disassemble than a .32 or .22. The force can make separating the slide from the frame especially difficult.
JW 759 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:45 PM   #5

llucas .22
I did not find field stripping previous ppk's in .380 to be this difficult. It made me cringe when I saw the gunsmith finally slam this thing in a vise with great pressure. That is far from normal, in my opinion. Firm hand pressure alone should remove the slide. Is this a bad bunch of recoil springs? Since the only two of these PPK/S handguns available in the gun shop had the same issue, I was wondering what others did to correct the problem -- or if sending it to S&W or Walther is the only option.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:00 PM   #6
Supporting Member

UniversalExports .38
That is far from normal. I've not had that problem with any of my three .380 PPK/S pistols — either of my Interarms or my S&W — but there have been numerous reports on this BBS of those who have had that problem with new S&W pistols. In most cases it seems that the problem diminishes after firing some rounds through it, but some are reporting that the spring was obviously too long even when fully compressed.

I would suggest putting a hundred rounds through it and, if that doesn't fix the problem, consider getting a new recoil spring from Wolff.

As for S&W trying to get out of fixing a weapon that came from the factory in a defective state, even if it was something as simple as a spring put in backwards, is quite unacceptable. If they had shipped it out that way, then they should accept responsibility for it. But that's neither here not there, as it turns out that the spring was in correctly.

Finally, I've not had a problem with sharp edges on either of my S&W PP-series pistols (PPK/S in .380; PPK in .32), but many others here have. If the weapon is blued then you don't have many options. If it's stainless, you can fix if by radiusing the corners.
TetSurvivor likes this.

The Globe is a ship that has everythingó
Including a serial killer with a large knife
and a penchant for the rich and beautiful.

Visit me at my Blog and on Facebook
UniversalExports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 12:17 AM   #7
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
Quote:
Originally Posted by UniversalExports View Post

As for S&W trying to get out of fixing a weapon that came from the factory in a defective state, even if it was something as simple as a spring put in backwards, is quite unacceptable. If they had shipped it out that way, then they should accept responsibility for it. ...
The OP called Walther in Arkansas -- not S&W. Welcome to the World of Umarex, the New Pot-Metal Paradise.

They have no inventory, no extra magazines, no spare parts, and not even an example of a P99 to take a high-res photo of, or know anybody with a camera to take it with. How do they intend to survive in the U.S. market?

M
MGMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 01:06 AM   #8
Super Moderator

Milspec .38
It's a combination of the new recoil spring and the newly machined stainless steel. Take it to the range and shoot it a few times. The slide will come off easily.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:25 AM   #9

llucas .22
I appreciate the advice. I have found most new metal guns require a break-in period to have smoother action. But I have never had to break one in to have it achieve normal operational function. I confess, it gripes me to face spending $50 to $100 or so for break-in ammo plus $19 or more in range fees on the chance it might fix a factory defect. Hoping it works.

I was able to pick up a box of 50 -- no more .380 ammo was available in this area. Hoping shooting it at the range does the trick. I'll post here to let you know if it makes a difference. Thanks.

Last edited by llucas; 05-11-2013 at 11:27 AM.
Old 05-11-2013, 04:36 PM   #10

SomeDude2k .22
New Walther (Smith and Wesson) ppk/s issues

I own a 2012 made PPK/s and a 2013 PPK. The 2012 was flawless out of the box, but the newer 2013 PPK had the same recoil spring problem. The slide just would not come off. I searched the forums and such and found a few other reports of the problem and most claimed shooting it would fix it so I oiled it up real well and went and put 200 rounds through it. No change.

I left it locked in my car that night and came out the next day and the slide came right off. It had been real cold that night and the gun was ice cold when the slide came off so I thought maybe the cold constricted the metal enough to come off. Once I put the slide back on and the gun warmed up, it was stuck again. So I stuck it in the freezer (unloaded of course) to test my theory. 15 minutes later, gun was ice cold again, slide came right off. Warmed up and stuck. Back in the freezer, slide loosened up again, and after that second time, the slide has been easy to remove at any temperature. A couple trips in and out of the freezer fixed it. Not sure exactly why.

After that I compared the recoil springs on both guns. The newer PPK spring is about a millimeter longer than the older PPK/S spring. And that is still true today. The PPK has seen about 500 rounds through it compared to about 150 in the PPK/S but the spring is still longer with more wear.

I love that PPK though. Other than that slide issue, the gun has shot flawlessly, no malfunctions of any kind with all kinds of ammo. But it seems smith and wesson had been making a lot of bad springs over the last year or so.
gene 1, llucas and bamabill like this.
SomeDude2k is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series

Search tags for this page
does smith and wesson still make the ppk

s&w ppk

s&w walther ppk
smith and wesson forum ppk

smith and wesson ppk

smith and wesson walther ppks
smith wesson ppk
walther ppk
walther ppk made by smith & wesson
walther ppk smith and wesson
walther s&w 380 ppk grip

walther smith and wesson

Click on a term to search for related topics.