WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2012, 12:21 PM   #1

1917-1911M .38
PPK/S Returned in same sorry condition

Sponsored Links
Can't find the original thread. Some of you might remember this PPK/S that had broken parts and bad manufacturing. Sent it in to S&W with a letter outlining problems, safety that was extremely hard to rotate, broken lever, rough feed ramp, unfinished machining, etc.

Finally got it back, same pistol, dirty, gritty, no oil, no cleaning and only the broken lever replaced. I have never had bad service from Smith regarding P22s but the lesson here is to very carefully check any new firearm you might purchase. Check function, remove the mag, look in the magwell, look into the chamber, look it over as carefully as possible because the manufacturer might not stand behind it. I will discuss this again with Daniel Rieger at Walther HQ. We will not trust this pistol for carry. M1911
1917-1911M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:31 PM   #2

Rothenfluh .22
If it wasn't made in Germany, it isn't a Walther. And it damn sure isn't a Walther if it was made in Maine.

R
Winterwind likes this.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:46 PM   #3

halfmoonclip .22
Following up with Smith & Walther is your best option; I have had relentlessly positive experiences with their service department; they've fixed stuff that I was embarrassed to even ask about.
Good luck,and let us know how it comes out.
Moon
halfmoonclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:52 PM   #4

AoxoMoxoA .22
Looks like the folks in Houlton used a big ol' beaver to gnaw on that piece... And I thought they only used Dremels...
searcher451 likes this.
AoxoMoxoA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:17 PM   #5

prsman23 .22
I will take that lesson to heart when I go pick up my gf's ppk when it gets here. Thanks for the heads up.
prsman23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:57 PM   #6

driften Unproven
Since I did not see the original post... did you buy this gun new or used and is it out of warranty when you sent it in?

So what did they say when they returned it? So they fixed the broken part but did not play with the feed ramp or replace the frame. Was the feed ramp ugly or you had feeding issues with some or all ammo?

Why did you expect they would clean and oil your dirty weapon? Some gunsmiths would charge you extra if you give them a dirty gun.

The two S&W PPK's I have are smooth in the magazine well.

In any case if you are the original owner under warranty I expect they would replace the gun on request. They have done it before for others.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:05 PM   #7

1917-1911M .38
Quote:
Originally Posted by AoxoMoxoA View Post
Looks like the folks in Houlton used a big ol' beaver to gnaw on that piece... And I thought they only used Dremels...
Don't be insulting beavers, they'd of done much better work. I have a number of Smith revolvers....not ever even one issue, Smith AR, not one issue. What happened? I have a couple of Rossi gallery .22s that cost $60. I certainly didn't expect the unseen machined areas to look like a Winchester or Remington gallery rifle and they don't. But they sure look much better than this high dollar PPK/S. M1911
Old 12-17-2012, 02:14 PM   #8

autonut .22
I remember the original thread and I remember how sick I got when I first saw it. I had heard all the bad things about fit-n-finish, but the ones I had seen and owned looked nothing like that POS you pictured.....which is still a POS IMHO. Why Houlton would not send you a replacement weapon and let that thing get back out on the street is beyond me.

I have had "spotty" results in dealing with S&W on revolvers....mostly good. Some high-level management person at Houlton (or wherever they are) needs to see this gun. It's a total catastrophe and should have been replaced. People thinking about the purchase of a great unmentionable should take a look at this example and consider how they treated you and this gun. I saw a picture of a 1911 in a magazine recently that was home-made by some North Vietnamese soldier during that little conflict and it looked better than this pistol and it was made from tin-cans with a hammer and likely a rock used for an anvil.
autonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:37 PM   #9

Sharwnthla .22
Wow M1911, I am aghast at that picture. That is beyond ugly. You of ALL people know your guns and how to make them work. Hopefully someone will make this right.
Sharwnthla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:37 PM   #10

1917-1911M .38
Quote:
Originally Posted by driften View Post
Since I did not see the original post... did you buy this gun new or used and is it out of warranty when you sent it in?

So what did they say when they returned it? So they fixed the broken part but did not play with the feed ramp or replace the frame. Was the feed ramp ugly or you had feeding issues with some or all ammo?

Why did you expect they would clean and oil your dirty weapon? Some gunsmiths would charge you extra if you give them a dirty gun.

The two S&W PPK's I have are smooth in the magazine well.

In any case if you are the original owner under warranty I expect they would replace the gun on request. They have done it before for others.
Son's gun. New. Sent in clean without mags or accessories per S&W instructions. I fired about 20?? rounds WWB before noticing the broken lever. Fed and fired fine. Accuracy fine. The pistol was cleaned. Yes, I certainly expect to receive my pistol back clean, properly repaired, undamaged and lightly lubed. Especially when it is new, and especially when it is was manufactured this poorly. In fact I expect a new pistol or at least a new frame. Local FFL dealers were named.

I first noticed the rough end to the mag well, took off the grips to have a closer look, found broken piece of metal imbedded under one of the grips, actually pressed into the plastic. Took a closer look, noticed broken lever tip. Then began to take a really close look. Just a rough pistol. The outside is 100%. Inside, not so. The safety took two thumbs to rotate. Very stiff and painful. After seeing the overall condition I sent the thread to my contact at S&W and Walther.

Asked for a new pistol as we would not be able to trust this one. I've received new pistols from Walther before. Not this time. Return letter did not mention any of my concerns. Just statement, new de-cocking lever installed. Since the broken part was imbedded inside the plastic grip and we had never had it off I expect the pistol came this way. I even saw the slant on the lever but didn't know it wasn't supposed to look like that. I knew Smith changed some stuff, had a recall but didn't know all the details. This was a recall pistol. I don't know if this was the recall part but nothing else seems to have been touched including the safety. M1911

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series

Search tags for this page
decocking pp or ppk or ppk/s
dirty walther feed ramps
homemade aluminum framed ppk

homemade gun

homemade ppk pistol

ppk parts
ppks ramp
Click on a term to search for related topics.