WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series

Like Tree83Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2012, 04:16 PM   #71

ArmchairBronco .22
Sponsored Links
So, what's the consensus "Over / Under" on when this thing will be released? The video says "first quarter of 2013". These guys usually fib a bit and Q1 is a big window.

I'm going to be a bit skeptical and say April 15, 2013 is the over/under day.

My guess: OVER.
ArmchairBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:17 PM   #72

Location: The Quiet Corner of the Screw the Constitution State
Captatnman .22
Grabagun is getting ready to sell them. On their web page they're listing 2 models. 1 black and 1 stainlessish.

From their page;

Black PPK/S- Price of 368.52 - Quick Overview
Walther PPK/S Semi-automatic Double Action Compact 22LR 3.35" Alloy Black Plastic 7Rd Fixed Sights 503-03-00

Stainless PPK/S - Price $386.70 - Quick Overview
Walther PPK/S Semi-automatic Double Action Compact 22LR 3.35" Alloy Stainless Plastic 7Rd Fixed Sights 503-03-20
Member CCDL

"Less of a random killing machine, more of a personal statement" Q

My Walthers
PPK/S 9mm short Stainless Custom
TPH .22 Stainless
PPK/S .22 NiVel
P22 Carbon Fiber

Photos of my other guns
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-HCYTvxqRpG8/UOJskqcgp7I/AAAAAAAADNM/Jlynl4pFfYY/s100/We%2520the%2520People.jpg
Captatnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:29 PM   #73

ArmchairBronco .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captatnman View Post
Grabagun is getting ready to sell them. On their web page they're listing 2 models. 1 black and 1 stainlessish.

From their page;

Black PPK/S- Price of 368.52 - Quick Overview
Walther PPK/S Semi-automatic Double Action Compact 22LR 3.35" Alloy Black Plastic 7Rd Fixed Sights 503-03-00

Stainless PPK/S - Price $386.70 - Quick Overview
Walther PPK/S Semi-automatic Double Action Compact 22LR 3.35" Alloy Stainless Plastic 7Rd Fixed Sights 503-03-20
The specs on this site list a 7-round capacity, but the video talks about a 10-round capacity in the magazine. I think they probably just used similar specs for the PPK 32 or .380
ArmchairBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 12:07 AM   #74

Andyd_is_PzGren .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman1291 View Post
THIS

It looks like a cheapo nickel finish on yet another POS zinc wannabe gun. I doubt we will ever see a repro of the classic PPK .22's from the 60's and 70's.
...and if we see the rebirth of the classic rimfire PPk/S in traditional quality, expect the prices to be unconventional.
Andyd_is_PzGren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:24 AM   #75
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyd_is_PzGren View Post
...and if we see the rebirth of the classic rimfire PPk/S in traditional quality, expect the prices to be unconventional.
If by "traditional" quality, one means prewar quality with forged parts and handfitted actions, a rebirth is virtually impossible. The machinists, fitters and polishers, as well as their ethos of uncompromising excellence, are all gone. As the years go by, those guns grow scarcer and more highly prized.

If one means postwar quality as exemplified by Manurhin, who produced pistols to Walther's specifications both for Walther and under its own name until the mid-1980s, that is improbable. Those pistols also were machined from forgings and fitted by craftsmen. Such materials and manufacturing methods are far too costly today for economic production, and anyway no factory any longer has a work force that is competent to perform such work.

Then there is the level of quality embodied in the Interarms USA production, using investment castings in place of the forgings. The whole project was started because the cost of the European-made pistols had climbed out of sight by the mid-1970s. Even so, within 10 years the price of the American-made model virtually doubled. The fit, finish and functioning of these pistols was often very good but inconsistent and never reached the Manurhin/Walther standard. The PP-series design relied on conventional construction of the 1920s; it simply did not lend itself to fitter-free assembly, and there was not a tradition of Teutonic perfection in Alabama. The only saving grace was a de facto double final inspection --once at Ranger, the second time at Interarms-- that caught and rejected many (but by no means all) substandard units. That level of quality is unlikely to be repeated.

As for the quality and consistency of subsequent production by Smith & Wesson, the less said the better.

There is a small segment of the buying public today willing to spend the money required for a high quality pistol built to exceptional standards of fit, finish and function. That's why some manufacturers have opened "custom shops", where waiting time is long and cost is not a consideration. That kind of quality comes in four or maybe five, but not three, figures.

...which is why I get livid when I see a prewar Walther desecrated.

M
MGMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:30 AM   #76

mm6mm6 .22
I will be bee lining to the Walther display booth at the SHOT Show in Las Vegas in January to get my hands on one of these. As a plinker, it would seem to be a fun little gun (as long as it functions well and hopefully doesn't require CCI ammo that costs as much as a box of centerfire cartridges.

I am skeptical that this is just another look-a-like .22 like so many others that will simply mimic the outline of a Walther PPK/S without really being a Walther PPK/S....

I'll know by mid January....
Old 11-22-2012, 09:52 AM   #77

Joescuba .22
It looks like it will be produced with a Walther PP type frame. I hope they will use a real PPK type of frame, instead of the PP. I would love to have a 22lr PPK.

Regards Joe

Ex Umbra
Joescuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:28 AM   #78
Super Moderator

searcher451 .22
I'll be interested in taking a look once this pistol hits the market. But I suspect that it will have more in common with the P22 than it will with the original PPK, and that it will have more in common with pistols that come out of Houlten vs. the pistols that came out of either Zella Mehlis or Ulm, or even out of France. Still, it's worth a look. I wouldn't call it an automatic buy, but it's worth a look.

Μολὼν λαβέ
searcher451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:20 AM   #79

Andyd_is_PzGren .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMike View Post
..... That kind of quality comes in four or maybe five, but not three, figures.

...which is why I get livid when I see a prewar Walther desecrated.

M
I absolutely agree! I have three rimfire handguns that I love for their quality, the 1936 Walther PP, a Hämmerli 212 and a 1969 Korth revolver. I have been to the Korth shop and had the privilige to chat with the master gun smith there. Korths are a work of art.

That said, Hämmerli is gone, Korth opened some new shop and has the guns made with a two piece barrel, SIG is gone and Walther is taken over by Umarex.

Oh yes, and Obama got re-elected.

I 'll have an early beer and wish you all a Happy Thanksgiving!
Andyd_is_PzGren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:16 PM   #80

alfonzo .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joescuba View Post
It looks like it will be produced with a Walther PP type frame. I hope they will use a real PPK type of frame, instead of the PP. I would love to have a 22lr PPK.

Regards Joe

Ex Umbra
The PPK frame is too small for importation due to the U.S. 1968
Gun Control Act by about 1/8 inch.

Now the PPK frame could be manufactured in the U.S. and the other
parts made by Umarex in Germany and the entire pistol could be assembled
here without being in conflict with the 1968 Gun Control Act.

I too would like to see a real PPK .22 LR made in the U.S. just like the
original with even the landyard loop on the butt. The U.S. made PPK omitted this feature which should have been included with little
or no cost.

Last edited by alfonzo; 11-23-2012 at 09:38 AM.
alfonzo is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series

Search tags for this page
new ppk
new walther ppk/s 22

ppk .22

ppk 22

ppk22

walther ppk 22
walther ppk 22 ca compliant
walther ppk 22 new
walther ppk-s 22 lr stainless nickel finish msrp
walther ppk22
walther ppks youtube
will new ppks .22 mags work in older guns?
Click on a term to search for related topics.