WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2012, 04:30 PM   #1

Kleppy .22
PPK slide spring too tight?

Sponsored Links
Just purchhased first PPK/S-1 .360 and have spent several days getting accustomed to this autoloader. Most of my other handguns are revolvers. The spring is very tight and can hardly rack slide with two fingers pulling backwards. Have to grip top of slide with left hand and do a pull-push movement. Field stripping is also very difficult. Spring has two closed ends ( one is not open ). I am a big man with plenty of strength but this seems crazy. Clip spring is also hard to depress and cannot get the 7th cartridge in either clip....not that I really care. If I need more then 6 I'm in the wrong fight! Still have not fired the weapon as I'm not completely comfortable unloading with that tight a spring. Perhaps it will loosen up a bit with several boxes run through it. Would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions the members might have. Thank you very much.
Kleppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 04:50 PM   #2
Supporting Member

UniversalExports .38
S&W version? If so, it appears from several reports that several weapons have left the factory with springs that are too long to comfortably compress. Indeed, some people have been unable to pull the slide back far enough for dismount from the frame before the spring goes solid.
Papat likes this.

The Globe is a ship that has everything—
Including a serial killer with a large knife
and a penchant for the rich and beautiful.

Visit me at my Blog and on Facebook
UniversalExports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:59 PM   #3

autonut .22
I am sure OP meant 380. Some of the problem may be that......that's just the way it is. It takes a little more "grunt" to rack the slide on a 380, even if it has the correct spring. UE is also correct....could be an improper spring. The magazine-thing usually takes care of itself through use. Load you mags up with 5 or 6 and let them sit a few days. I think the more you use it...the better things will get.

Hard slide racking is not peculiar to the Walther. Just about every straight blow-back pistol requires more ump to rack the slide, especially as the caliber size increases. I had a guy bring one to me the other day that he said would not shoot (it was not a Walther by the way). I loaded it, chambered a round and emptied the magazine right in front of him. I told him to show me what he was doing and it was very apparent that he was racking the slide back just far enough to chamber a round, but not cock the pistol.

Many new-owners have the same issue you do and it's usually overcome with practice and use.
autonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:30 PM   #4

rifleshooter474 .22
Thumbs up Wolff Springs for the PPKs

WALTHER PPK AND PPKS, 9MM (.380)

Quick jump to a product:
Recoil Springs
Magazine Springs
Hammer Springs
Hammer Spring Pak
Service Paks

RECOIL SPRINGS
Recoil Springs are available with load-rated specifications to tailor the recoil function to individual needs. Each load-rated recoil spring pak includes an extra power firing pin spring.
Reduced Power...: 14, 15, 16 & 17 Lb.
Factory Standard.: 20 Lb.
Extra Power.........: 24 Lb.

Springs for WALTHER PPK & PPKS 9mm (.380) Semi-Auto Pistols
rifleshooter474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 09:43 PM   #5
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
The spring is not "too tight"; it's just too much spring.

M
MGMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 11:23 PM   #6

Pilotsteve .22
If "Kleppy" ever returns, perhaps he'll elaborate a bit more. Until then, we're left gnashing our teeth in speculation.

-Pilotsteve
Pilotsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:33 AM   #7

Kleppy .22
Thanks for your comments

Here's an update.....called S&W customer service. They were very helpful and are sending a new spring (at no cost) to see if it makes a difference. If no difference, I am to send the weapon to them for examination. After reading some other threads, I went to the bench and took it apart to check on lubrication. There was some, but not much. I oiled the barrel and the spring then saturated the other contact points of the slide. Then I reassembled and worked the action for several minutes. There was a substantial difference, especially the spring on the barrel. I wiped down and re-oiled a couple of times and after about 15 min. I had a better working gun. I experienced several jams trying to unload a filled clip of live rounds and felt the slide was not getting back far enough to eject the chambered cartridge. I found it more reliable to take out the clip and eject just the single round in the chamber. That's also probably a more safe way to accomplish the unloading! I also oiled the spings in the clips and emptied the shells and re-filled them several times... that also seemed to help. It appears the comment in another thread about PPKs needing to be more "wet" then other autos was accurate.

I am anxiously awaiting the new spring to see if there is any structual and functional difference between the two. Thank you all for your comments and I'll advise about the new spring.

By the way....please accept apologies for the caliber typo...it is .380 not .360.
Kleppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:39 AM   #8
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleppy View Post
...It appears the comment in another thread about PPKs needing to be more "wet" then other autos was accurate.

It's the comment that was all wet.

If the gun were made right, it would function perfectly well with a minimum of lubrication.

Slathering a gun with oil just turns it into a glop-magnet.

M
MGMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:45 AM   #9

autonut .22
It can be a little problematic to hand-eject rounds out of the 380. The action of firing slams that empty against the ejector hard enough to flip it out and the case is also empty too.

I think you're headed in the right direction. Keep a good "manly" grip on it....shoot it...SHOOT IT and then shoot it some more. I'm betting it will shoot-in and your skills with handling a blow-back will greatly improve.
autonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:48 AM   #10

Glenn-SC .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleppy View Post
I experienced several jams trying to unload a filled clip of live rounds and felt the slide was not getting back far enough to eject the chambered cartridge.
Great on the service from S&W!

Hand cycling rounds into or out of a PP family gun because of the spring strength because of the blow-back design is not easy and not an indication of how the gun will function when fired. You just can't get the force and speed needed.

Take that puppy out and shoot it!
Glenn-SC is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series

Search tags for this page
making the cartridge slide easyer on wather ppk/k 380
ppk spring
stiff ppk spring
walter380 pistal how to take apart and take spring in and out
walther ppk 380 recoil spring
walther ppk hard slide

walther ppk hard to rack

walther ppk recoil spring
walther ppk slide

walther ppk spring

walther ppk springs

wather 380 ppk/k slide is very tight
Click on a term to search for related topics.