Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2012, 01:09 PM   #1

racertb .22
1962 PPK Not Firing Properly

Sponsored Links
Hello:

A few months back, I found and bought a 1962 PPK Interarms version. .32 caliber, etc. Nice pistol...I shot a couple hundred rounds through it at the time and it performed well, was accurate, etc.

When I went to the range yesterday, it started to not fire correctly. It didn't jam, but now only fires in single action mode - I have to manually cock the hammer to fire each round and then it fires.

Here are a couple observations:

When I took off the slide, I could dry fire it with no problem. The trigger mechanism seems to work fine and it will "fire" in double action mode.

When the slide is back on, no double action mode, only the single action mode as described above.

While I had the slide off and as the tigger worked in double action mode, I did notice a tiny triangular piece just to the left of the hammer (sorry, not sure what it's called) that seemed to be loose and wiggling around while I was pulling the trigger in double action mode (slide off). Something tells me that this is the issue as to why the PPK won't operate properly when fully assembled with slide.

Any thoughts or words of wisdom to get this problem fixed?

PPK
P99 (1st Gen 9mm)
P22
Beretta 92FS
SW M&P 15-22
racertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 01:41 PM   #2

1917-1911M .38
Have you removed the grips so you can have a look at the action of the trigger bar, cocking bar and hammer struts. I was thinking something like a fouled right side of the slide was interfering with the trigger bar rising. But, it has to rise to fire in SA mode. I'm certainly no expert but I sure would like to see a good picture of how the parts work on and Interarms PPK. Someone will be along shortly that knows prezackly what the issue is. Good luck. M1911
1917-1911M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:05 PM   #3
Supporting Member

AoxoMoxoA .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by racertb View Post
While I had the slide off and as the tigger worked in double action mode, I did notice a tiny triangular piece just to the left of the hammer (sorry, not sure what it's called) that seemed to be loose and wiggling around...
That piece is the hammer release, and it's totally normal for it to be loose.

When the hammer is cocked, the hammer release rests atop the cocking piece pivoting upward so the decocking lever on the slide can then depress it against the raised cocking piece, therefore decocking the hammer. When the hammer is at rest in the fully forward position, the hammer release will rest flush in its slot, but it will be loose and wiggle back and forth if you shake or invert the pistol.

As to your problem. Perhaps the trigger bar spring has been dislodged from its slot in the underside of the trigger bar during cleaning? See photo below of my '62 PP. Brushing a frame can easily dislodge these tiny springs from their lairs.

I believe that could be one of the causes of the issue you are having with single-action only firing. Check that, and go from there.

Last edited by AoxoMoxoA; 05-21-2012 at 05:11 PM. Reason: clarification and photo addition
AoxoMoxoA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:13 PM   #4

autonut .22
Clarify "1962 Interarms version". I ask to help 1917. If it was a 62 IA version...it was simply an import and the same as all the other Manurhin made guns (no matter what the slide says). Interarms guns imported prior to 1978 were all made off-shore. If 1917 wants to see an in-country IA gun, it has to be between the Ranger productions years of 78 up until Smith took the contract.....right?
autonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 05:26 PM   #5
Supporting Member

AoxoMoxoA .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by autonut View Post
Clarify "1962 Interarms version". I ask to help 1917. If it was a 62 IA version...it was simply an import and the same as all the other Manurhin made guns (no matter what the slide says). Interarms guns imported prior to 1978 were all made off-shore.
I'm guessing that's exactly the case, as is with my PP from 1962, also with the "Interarms, VA" import marking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by autonut View Post
If 1917 wants to see an in-country IA gun, it has to be between the Ranger productions years of 78 up until Smith took the contract.....right?
Correct.
AoxoMoxoA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:24 PM   #6

1917-1911M .38
Man, pictures added to a thread are great. Aoxo that really shows the location of the spring and exactly what the OP should look at. You can describe it in words....but your picture cuts to the nitty gritty. autonut, I'd like to see pictures of em all....German, French, Interarms. What kind of car are you nuts about? M1911
Old 05-21-2012, 06:48 PM   #7

autonut .22
Funny you should ask...not really, others have. I actually use to restore old muscle cars, but my handle really reflects my luv for auto "pistols" and not auto "mobiles". I use to be a model 1911 nut, but put all that aside when I started raising a family and handling the added responsibilities that come along with that. Somebody sold me a Walther a while back and I got hooked on Walthers, but the handle still fits. Now, I don't even own a Colt of any kind, but I do have several Smith Revolvers (all no-locks) and the Walthers have taken the place of the 1911's.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:44 PM   #8

1917-1911M .38
I see, you are a "semiautonut". Does that mean you are certified nuts or just semi nuts? You guys are ahead of me on these PPKs, a lot to learn here. M1911
Old 05-22-2012, 06:58 AM   #9

autonut .22
Semi-nuts I guess, but if I had a full-auto....surely I would be fully nuts.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:11 AM   #10

6stringPP .22
Well I'm glad you're not Fully Nuts, and I'm glad to be formally (as in not anymore) fully nuts...
6stringPP is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series

Search tags for this page

1962 ppk

1962 walther ppk
1962 walther ppks

cocking piece walther

ppk pistol hammer release
ppk trigger bar
ppk trigger bar spring
ppk/s trigger spring
walther ppk s cocking problems

walther ppk trigger bar spring

walther tph not firing from double action

walther tph slide problem
Click on a term to search for related topics.