Walther Forums banner

Serial Numbers of James Bond's PPKs

7K views 23 replies 14 participants last post by  AoxoMoxoA 
#1 · (Edited)
#2 ·
Very interesting site! Those are some expensive PPKs!

Am I crazy but do some of those photos seem odd? The "Never Say Never Again" PPK looks like it is "left handed" (safety and magazine release on the right of the gun not the left).

The one they show as serial number 19174A looks more like 1917 A to me.

#8 ·
I wouldn't put too much stock in the information on that site.

For instance, the PPK listed as used in "License to Kill" is not the one used by Dalton in the film. Dalton's PPK had a dovetailed rear sight, not the earlier integral rear sight on the pistol shown. Dalton's pistol also wore Sile wood stocks.

The NRA Museum has a PPK they claim to have been used by Timothy Dalton, it looks closer to the one in the film, but its not right either. I'm sure every PPK in the Stembridge inventory was a "James Bond" model when they went off to auction.

Like John Wayne's Colt Single Action, there must be thousands of them floating around, and every one is authentic!

#10 ·
Wow, that's a good return on investing in the From Russia With Love Walther Cal. 4-5 LP Model 53 Air Pistol. In 2001 It sold for $20,487 and in 2010 it sold for $438,609. That guy made big bucks.

#12 ·
Also, the "PPK" in that "Never Say Never" listing is actually a PPK/S. The grip is too long and the backstrap is the metal frame of the gun, not wrap-around plastic.

So far as the orientation of photo is concerned, if you look at the slant of the lettering on the slide, it is canted in the wrong direction. If you D/L the pic and blow it up, the "Made in USA" under the Walter logo is backwards That photo has been flipped horizontally...

Here's a pic of mine, also reflected horizontally:

Attachments

#19 ·
Also, the "PPK" in that "Never Say Never" listing is actually a PPK/S. The grip is too long and the backstrap is the metal frame of the gun, not wrap-around plastic.

So far as the orientation of photo is concerned, if you look at the slant of the lettering on the slide, it is canted in the wrong direction. If you D/L the pic and blow it up, the "Made in USA" under the Walter logo is backwards That photo has been flipped horizontally...

Here's a pic of mine, also reflected horizontally:
Either that or it is the uber rare secret squirrel ambidextrous version that the nazis kept so secret.

#13 ·

Yep that is what I said!!:)

#14 ·
Yogi --- By Jove, I think we've got it! The riddle is solved.

Now all we have to do is figure out how to claim that the gun with our own serial numbers was used in a James Bond film.

#15 ·
Hey guys, brand new member here. Just wanted to share some info on my pistol since there seems to be some interest in Bond related Walthers. I've got a decent/slightly pitted PP .32 I acquired in the mid 80's with a unique serial number. I always enjoy showing it off to my friends, but didn't know if anyone else might be interested. It's an Interarm's import from 1969 with a 6 digit serial number, the last 3 numbers being 007. I know it's a PP instead of a PPk but still makes for an interesting conversation piece. Anyway, great site for learning about my Walther. thx guys.

#16 ·
Local "news" channel here ALWAYS throws up a "flipped" image of a PPK/S as background in any gun related reporting. I figger'd it is a way around copyright violation... and it piques my ire they use a Walther instead of a wheel-gun Saturday night special or a Glok, too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.