Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2012, 08:02 PM   #1

Location: Retired and living in the mountains of NE Pennsylvania
XTrooper .22
My Latest Acquisition And My First Walther In Years

Sponsored Links
I picked up this Walther PPK .380 yesterday. It's my first Walther in years and I'm impressed.

I took it to the range this morning and put a little over 200 rounds of ammo though it including Remington and Winchester FMJ and Federal LE Hydra-Shok JHPs. I'm happy to report it functioned flawlessly.

Steve: NJ State Trooper #3936 (retired 4/1/1991), NRA LE Firearms Instructor, Life Member: VVA, NRA
Right way's the hardest. Wrong way's the easiest. A rule of nature like water seeks the path of least resistance. So you get crooked rivers and crooked men. Sheriff Hank Pearson (Rip Torn) in "Extreme Prejudice"
XTrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:19 PM   #2

Glenn-SC .22
Sweet!

Love the PPK.
Glenn-SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:20 PM   #3

XTrooper .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn-SC View Post
Sweet!

Love the PPK.
Thanks, Glenn!

I agree. They're a great little pistol.
Steve: NJ State Trooper #3936 (retired 4/1/1991), NRA LE Firearms Instructor, Life Member: VVA, NRA
Right way's the hardest. Wrong way's the easiest. A rule of nature like water seeks the path of least resistance. So you get crooked rivers and crooked men. Sheriff Hank Pearson (Rip Torn) in "Extreme Prejudice"
Old 04-06-2012, 08:58 PM   #4

autonut .22
Come on in....welcome (back) aboard. What did you have before?
autonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:50 PM   #5

XTrooper .22
Thanks for the welcome!

Over the years, I owned a war-era PP .32 ACP and an Interarms PPK/S .380 I bought new in the early '70s.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:34 PM   #6

mbroadway .22
That's a beautiful example. I'm happy to hear it performed well. Haven't tried JHP in mine yet, but I think I'll go for it the next time I'm at the range. Any brand preferences or any that you've heard feed better than others?
mbroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 01:14 AM   #7

Location: The Quiet Corner of the Screw the Constitution State
Captatnman .22
Hi XTrooper, Your PPK/S is going to be your little buddy, You're going to love it. Welcome back to Walther's. You have some really sweet weapons posted on your site but, that's what I would expect from an ex-trooper. I noticed your bikes on your page, very nice. I love the F800GS, awesome color too. Have you ever checked out the forum Expedition Portal? Looks like that you might be interested in. I'm not associated with the site. Just a member like here & like here it has a great bunch of guys.
Member CCDL

"Less of a random killing machine, more of a personal statement" Q

My Walthers
PPK/S 9mm short Stainless Custom
TPH .22 Stainless
PPK/S .22 NiVel
P22 Carbon Fiber

Photos of my other guns
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-HCYTvxqRpG8/UOJskqcgp7I/AAAAAAAADNM/Jlynl4pFfYY/s100/We%2520the%2520People.jpg
Captatnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:25 AM   #8

XTrooper .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbroadway View Post
That's a beautiful example. I'm happy to hear it performed well. Haven't tried JHP in mine yet, but I think I'll go for it the next time I'm at the range. Any brand preferences or any that you've heard feed better than others?
Well, I looked at a bunch of terminal ballistic tests first and although none of the .380 JHP loads are known for great penetration, the Federal Hydra-Shok and Hornady XTP loads consistently perform the best in this regard. They always expand to some degree and they average 11"-12" in ballistic media.
Fortuitously, both of these loads also have the same truncated cone style bullet which aids in feeding and my PPK had no problems whatsoever with the Hydra-Shoks.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:27 AM   #9

XTrooper .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captatnman View Post
Hi XTrooper, Your PPK/S is going to be your little buddy, You're going to love it. Welcome back to Walther's. You have some really sweet weapons posted on your site but, that's what I would expect from an ex-trooper. I noticed your bikes on your page, very nice. I love the F800GS, awesome color too. Have you ever checked out the forum Expedition Portal? Looks like that you might be interested in. I'm not associated with the site. Just a member like here & like here it has a great bunch of guys.
Thanks a bunch for the kind words, amigo.

Yeah, I love my F800GS. Didn't know about the Expedition Portal, but I'm definitely going to check it out. Thanks for the link!
Old 04-08-2012, 06:23 AM   #10

irishcop .22
I love mine too Steve. It's a Smith PPK 380 that I carry as my off duty and backup weapon, and enjoy shooting it almost as much as my Garand! Nice thing is, I can justify 50 rds of 380 a whole lot easier than 20 rounds of Garand '06!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series

Search tags for this page
.32 walther ppk smith and wesson
walther ppk ccw

walther ppk concealed carry

walther ppk smith and wesson

winchester ppk2
Click on a term to search for related topics.