WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2012, 09:34 AM   #1

StormeSixx .22
Preferred Ammo To Break In New PPK?

Sponsored Links
Hi everyone,

Walther newbie, here. I grew up with a love for the Walther PPK, thanks largely to my Dad - it's both our favorites. After many years, I finally got me one and will take delivery of it this weekend. (Yay!) It's brand new so I'm a little paranoid - any suggestions as to the better ammo to break it in with? For that matter, anything special I should keep in mind when breaking it in? I found some Winchester (white box) for the .380 but thought it was weird that it was a flat head. I've never shot flat heads before. I've also read that Gold Dot and Federal are pretty decent ones. To be honest, I'm tempted to try the zombie rounds I saw recently, too.

Please and thank you!
StormeSixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:58 AM   #2
Super Moderator

searcher451 .22
Try them all. The more rounds you shoot, and from a variety of manufacturers, the more you'll know for sure which ones work best in your pistol and which ones to avoid (and it's fair to say that it will like some better than others). My suggestion would be to start with FMJ ammo and then try some of the better JHP rounds once you've put it through its paces for at least a couple of hundred rounds.

FWIW, I've always had great luck with Remington green box and Winchester white box FMJ rounds in my PP, PPK, and PPK/S models. We've had many threads on the best ammo for defensive carry in .380 ACP, so you might want to run a search as well.

Good luck ... and wlecome to the forum; enjoy your time here.

Μολὼν λαβέ
searcher451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 02:00 PM   #3

RickJZ Unproven
The flat head rounds that you refer to in your post are known as a truncated bullet. They feed extremely reliably. Also, the zombie ammo that you mentioned is just a 'repackaged' design of Hornady's critical defense ammo. Basically, it just a marketing gimmick.
RickJZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 03:27 PM   #4

StormeSixx .22
I got a box of the Winchester flat heads from WalMart but will be getting a few more boxes of the other brands mentioned. (Thanks, searcher451. I did a search and got some good info on the other brands to try.) RickJZ, yes, I know the zombie rounds are a marketing gimmick but they're cute. My husband and I are planning to get some of the zombie targets to shoot as well. Thanks!
Old 03-07-2012, 04:38 PM   #5

Ranger .22
Storm,

I have had 100% success shooting 240 Federal FMJs and Federal Hydra Shoks through my brand new .380 S&W PPK/S.

So, I would start with Federal.

If you have a few hiccups at first, don't worry, it will settle down. These guns are tight when new, and they have a break in period of 250-500 rounds. They are also susceptible to "limp wristing" so be sure to keep a firm grip on the piece.

Let us know how it goes.

Last edited by Ranger; 03-07-2012 at 04:41 PM.
Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:14 PM   #6
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger View Post

If you have a few hiccups at first, don't worry, it will settle down. These guns are tight when new, and they have a break in period of 250-500 rounds....
Anything that is having a period lasting 500 rounds should be taken to a gunsmith or a gynecologist.

M

Last edited by MGMike; 03-07-2012 at 08:20 PM.
MGMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:47 AM   #7

StormeSixx .22
Hi Ranger, I got some 50-packs of Federal and Lawman FMJ ammo yesterday. Can't wait to try it out this weekend! (Hopefully. If the gun ever gets here. Just saw that USPS tried to deliver to the FFL at 7:48AM! No one is opened yet. When did they start delivery that early in the morning??)

MGMike, you're hillarious!
Old 03-08-2012, 05:27 PM   #8

halfmoonclip .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormeSixx View Post

MGMike, you're hillarious!
Do not encourage him; he'll feel the need to mention the unmentionable.
It was a funny line, tho'.

IMHO, manufacturers who claim a 500 round break in period are simply postponing warranty claims. I'm not aware that Smith & Walther takes this position. Due respect, Ranger, but if it takes that many rounds to wear in a gun, it wasn't finished when it went out the factory door. Ten boxes of cartridges is a hell of a lot of shooting, in rounds and dollars.
Moon
halfmoonclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:16 PM   #9

Ranger .22
Moon,

I am just repeating something that the gunshop owner, not S&W, told me when I was doing the paperwork to buy the gun. And I did say 250-500, not 500.

The main point I was trying to make is that there is a break in period with these guns, and not to get discouraged if you have a few hiccups at first, the gun should settle down.
Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:32 PM   #10

Sharwnthla .22
I also would suggest "try lots", my PP will shoot ammo that my PPK/s won't. But both disliked the Winchester white box, go figure.
Sharwnthla is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series

Search tags for this page
ammo for walther ppk
best .380 ammo for walther ppk
best 380 ammo for walther ppk
best ammo for ppk

best ammo for walther ppk

best ammo for walther ppk 380

best ammo for walther ppks
best ammo walther ppk 380
walther ppk 380 best ammo

walther ppk ammo

walther ppk ammunition
walther ppk best ammo
Click on a term to search for related topics.