WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2012, 09:02 PM   #1
JPK

JPK .22
PP .32 vs .380

Sponsored Links
Looking at an eventual PP purchase. Opinions of the pros/cons between the two. Love the look of the PP but don't know enough of the differences between the two options.
JPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 09:19 PM   #2

Sharwnthla .22
I know that anything in the PP family chambered in .380 gets a LOT of hate from some folks here, but I enjoy the heck out of my PP in .380. My PP was a .32 and was converted to .380 prior to my acquiring it. Part of the reason just I purchased a PPKs in .380 just this past week, was I find it comfortable to shoot, reliable, and quite frankly cheaper to feed. 32 ammunition is entirely too expensive for the amount of frequent shooting I do. All in all I love my PP .380 and works great and shoots like a charm. JMHO
Sharwnthla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 09:27 PM   #3

Firemanjones .22
I have a .380 PP I purchased in the 80's. I just wish the ammo was as inexpensive as 9mm. In fact I think I will bring it with me to the range tomorrow.
Old 01-14-2012, 09:45 PM   #4

halfmoonclip .22
Begs the question for the OP; what do ya' want to do with it?
The .380 is more powerful, while .32 is far more pleasant to shoot.
The .32s tend to be as reliable as gravity, while the .380 is more persnickety.
Three eighty ammo tends to be more common, tho' there are deals out there (try Wideners') on .32, especially if you don't mind buying in bulk.
The longer/heavier slide of the PP makes .380 somewhat more pleasant to shoot, according to posters here.

You pays your money and takes your choice; again, what do you want to do with it?
Moon
halfmoonclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 10:00 PM   #5
JPK

JPK .22
A friend has a PK380 and has had some FTF and FTE issues. I know the FTF issues are probably ammo related. However, the FTE issues are also somewhat common with the gun. I know the PK is a different animal than the PP. I also felt after firing the PK it felt small and my grip felt unsure with it when firing it. Does the .32 feel more sure footed vs the .380 because of the difference in the round? I have no reference other than the feel of the PK at that calibre. Just range use projected for the gun. Maybe as a CCW later down the road but mainly range shooting.
Old 01-14-2012, 11:18 PM   #6
prm

prm .22
I've owned 5 of the PP series pistols over the last 30+ years. Two have been in .380 and three in .32 ACP.

I currently own a Manurhin PP in 7.65/.32 ACP and an Interarms PPK/S SS in .32 ACP. The Manurhin is my current EDC.

As far as shooting ~ I really like the .32 ACP in this gun. It's accurate, reliable, and a lot of fun to shoot. The .32 will do what its designed to do with proper shot placement.

Having said that, I would definitely buy another Manurhin PP in .380 if I came across one. It was one of my all time favorites. Sold mine back in the 80s when money got tight.

If I had to choose between the two and could only have one. It would be the .32.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________

Folks keep saying the .32 is more expensive to shoot? Wideners has the Prvi Partisan for: PPU32F Prvi Partizan Ammunition 32 ACP 71 Grain FMJ $10.50 /50 or $120.00/600

Widener's Reloading and Shooting Supply INC

How do you get cheaper than that unless you reload. So far I have bought 1200 rounds of the Prvi ammo and really like it. I plan to order some more while they still have it at that price.

Wideners also has good prices on their .380: PPU380FMJ Prvi Partizan 380 ACP 94 Grain FMJ $14.95/50 round box/10 and up - $14.75

Widener's Reloading and Shooting Supply INC

Last edited by prm; 01-15-2012 at 08:42 AM.
prm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 10:45 AM   #7

halfmoonclip .22
prm, thnx' for the link to Wideners. I may have to consider ordering some myself.

For the OP, I'll take the gloves off and push for the smaller caliber.

A late buddy first got me into Walthers and then complained that our .380s weren't any fun to shoot. Turns out his previous experience had been with a WWII bring-back PP in .32ACP, and shooting the larger caliber was just too 'rappy' to be entertaining. Pilot Steve and others here enjoy the 'smacking a rock with an iron bar' feeling of shooting the .380, but I don't care for it.
The Interarms .380 that I had couldn't be persuaded to run on reloads (actually had a letter published in the American Rifleman about my trials with the caliber). Apparently .380s can be reliable, but ammo selection is far more crucial. The .32 will gobble about anything, including reloads; there's just a bigger margin for error.
Be aware that the PK .380 is a different creature altogether from the PP series.
BTW, OP, you have been referring to buying a PP; are you actually after the longer barrel, or are you considering the PPK barrel length?
Keep us posted,
Moon
halfmoonclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 12:15 PM   #8

153 .22
The first Walther I shot was a PP .380 and the first pistol I bought when I became "legal" was a PPK/S .380. So I have shot alot of rounds in that caliber.

If you want a plinker, to fire a couple of magazines at tin cans, bottles or boards either will do. If you plan on firing fifty or so rounds at a time - then the .32 will be easier on the hand.

Another factor not yet mentioned is stocks. The .380 will benefit from some nice wooden grip panels. The .32 is fine with the factory plastics.

If you want a really nice Walther, keep a lookout for a .22 in either the PP or the PPK, it's the best of the lot!
153 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 02:57 PM   #9

me109g4 .22
The Privi partisan ammo from Wideners is great stuff,,works great in my ww2 ppk's as well as my interarms ppk and ppk/s. I have not had a single issue with this stuff to date. and u cant beat the price. When i find it at gunshows it's usually $14 a box.
me109g4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 07:38 PM   #10
JPK

JPK .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfmoonclip View Post
prm, thnx' for the link to Wideners. I may have to consider ordering some myself.

For the OP, I'll take the gloves off and push for the smaller caliber.

A late buddy first got me into Walthers and then complained that our .380s weren't any fun to shoot. Turns out his previous experience had been with a WWII bring-back PP in .32ACP, and shooting the larger caliber was just too 'rappy' to be entertaining. Pilot Steve and others here enjoy the 'smacking a rock with an iron bar' feeling of shooting the .380, but I don't care for it.
The Interarms .380 that I had couldn't be persuaded to run on reloads (actually had a letter published in the American Rifleman about my trials with the caliber). Apparently .380s can be reliable, but ammo selection is far more crucial. The .32 will gobble about anything, including reloads; there's just a bigger margin for error.
Be aware that the PK .380 is a different creature altogether from the PP series.
BTW, OP, you have been referring to buying a PP; are you actually after the longer barrel, or are you considering the PPK barrel length?
Keep us posted,
Moon
I know it may sound foolish, but then again Walthers are very attractive looking guns, I like the long barrel PP purely as a visual preference. I guess it is a design thing. Like they say in aeroplanes, if it looks right it is right. PPK's also look good but I love the way the slide beneath the muzzle blends back to the trigger guard on the PP.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series

Search tags for this page

.32 vs .380

.32 vs 380
32 acp vs 380

32 vs 380

ppk .32 vs .380
ppk 32 vs 380
walther .32 vs .380
walther 32 vs 380
walther pp .32 vs .380
walther ppk .32 vs .380
walther ppk 32 vs 380
walther ppk 380 vs 32
Click on a term to search for related topics.